Advertise On Marijuana Passion

For those of you using 1000w HPS for flowering?

bud88

Reaction score
Hey all....

I am trying to decide between buying a kit or purchasing separate components...
When it comes to digital ballasts? who's using what? I was looking at the Quantum, IPower, Ultrasun, Lumatek, Thunder ?

Going in a 4 x 4 x 80 tent....
shopping around for a 6" or 8" Air Cooled Hood.. What would you say is the widest that you could comfortably fit? The Raptor looks really nice but its not going to fit in a 4 x 4.

Trying to get the most bang for my buck....

Looking forward to what everyone has to say!!

Thx........:48:

Bud88...

Iron Emmett

Closet Farmer
Reaction score
I had a 1000W system with a Lumatek Digi, i also used a 6" aircooled hood, the fan cooled the hood perfectly so its doable with a 6" if you dont wanna go 8", i just had the basic sunsystem hood.

MR1

Reaction score
If I was going back to hid I would buy a switchable 1000w ballast, that does not have a fan but one that has large heat sinks instead . The fan will be the first thing to go on the fan cooled ballasts.

AluminumMonster

Duke of Errl:)
Reaction score
As long as you're only running 1-1k you will be good with 6" ducts and fan. If you were to have 3-1ks or more you would want the 8" ducts and fan. I like the Lumatek ballasts personally but everyone is going to give you a different answer for that question. i really don't like the kits you can get because they usually have generic fans/filters/tents etc, just another personal opinion.

BenfukD

Reaction score
opinions

I have 4 1k with 6inch duct. works well

:vap-leafy_wave::vap-leafy_wave::vap-leafy_wave::vap-leafy_wave:

bud88

Reaction score
i really don't like the kits you can get because they usually have generic fans/filters/tents etc, just another personal opinion.
AM,
Should have elaborated on what I meant by a kit....I meant a 1000W HPS light kit...ballast, bulbs, hood, hangers, timer......
:48:

As far ask the 6" or 8" hood goes....most of the 8" hoods are pretty large in width and in a 48" tent it would be a tight fit... Would love to be able to fit the Raptor 8 but its over 40" wide...leaves little or no room for duct work... Im thinking I need a hood that is no wider than 30".

bud88

Reaction score
If I was going back to hid I would buy a switchable 1000w ballast, that does not have a fan but one that has large heat sinks instead . The fan will be the first thing to go on the fan cooled ballasts.

All of the ballasts I have been looking at have built in fans. Some have better warranties than others....but I guess the warranty doesnt cover your grow if the lights go out and you cant get it replaced for days.....:mad:

bud88

Reaction score
Ive been considering these ....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0TCKGY/ref=s9_simh_co_p60_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=typ-top-left-1&pf_rd_r=0X20R0QWGS0C0V8YEEDC&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1827489602&pf_rd_i=typ01[/ame]

this one could be a tight fit in a 4 x 4 tent....

http://www.hpsgrowlightstore.com/ipower-grow-light-1000w-hps-dimmable-cool-tube-xxl-set.html

or

I could purchase the items separately and go with a Quantum dimmable ballast, Extreme 6" hood, and Digilux bulbs(2) for around the same price...

when your in a certain price range there seems like there is little difference. Guess it is what works for you in this case?

chazmaine420

Reaction score
If you have the space a 1000w HPS will cover a 55 x 55 tent very well. Its only a 7" increase but creates about 25% more space and thus potential yield. i use a Big Kahuna, 6"air cooled hood and lumatek ballast and am very happy with them.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
I run two 600's in my 4.5' x 4.5' tents. I love the super large footprint and being more than sufficient with the lumens :D

bud88

Reaction score
Well, I had planned on ordering a SolaHut 4 x 4 x 80 next week but after checking with the company they are out of stock on all tents and wont have any available until 2015.
So I need to decide on another tent also...Not very happy because the SolaHut was really heavy duty...almost like a Gorilla but for almost half the price.....
Looking at a 5 x 5 now....

Surfer Joe

Reaction score

All of the ballasts I have been looking at have built in fans. Some have better warranties than others....but I guess the warranty doesnt cover your grow if the lights go out and you cant get it replaced for days.....:mad:
You need a backup. After a couple of grows, I already have a couple of extra lamps and hoods and ballasts, so in a pinch, I could get some lights back on, unless it was a power failure, because I have no portable generator. I suppose that they could go next to a window for a day or two if the power went out.

bud88

Reaction score
You need a backup. After a couple of grows, I already have a couple of extra lamps and hoods and ballasts, so in a pinch, I could get some lights back on, unless it was a power failure, because I have no portable generator. I suppose that they could go next to a window for a day or two if the power went out.
Im on a disability income so backup's aren't an option at the moment....Its hard enough affording the first light setup....

I will have an extra bulb this go around but anything else just isnt going to happen...

Thanks DGF....I will look at the SunHut....

roach

Roach
Reaction score
Buying equipment on Craigslist has saved me a TON of money. I got 2 Easycool6 hoods, two light movers, a 600w HPS and a 400w MH and a 4 bulb four foot T5 HO for less than $200. Yeah, you may have to replace bulbs but you're still way ahead of the game.

AluminumMonster

Reaction score
@bud88 Have you looked at 1000bulbs.com? They have 1k magnetic ballasts for $107.

goats_head_soup

been around the corner
Reaction score
I like any ballast that doesn't fail but most barely make it past 2 years and many fail b4 one year. I had 2 lumateks fail. And 2 galaxy fail. Then I bought a hortilux platinum ballast. 5 year warranty. That was a bit over 2 years ago. I guess we all like our ballast as long as they a working correctly what's not to like.

AluminumMonster

Reaction score
I like any ballast that doesn't fail but most barely make it past 2 years and many fail b4 one year. I had 2 lumateks fail. And 2 galaxy fail. Then I bought a hortilux platinum ballast. 5 year warranty. That was a bit over 2 years ago. I guess we all like our ballast as long as they a working correctly what's not to like.
I think you need to invest in some surge protectors. You are the first person I have heard of that burns through ballasts like that. Lumatek and Galaxy both have 5 years warranties as well.

goats_head_soup

been around the corner
Reaction score
I think you need to invest in some surge protectors. You are the first person I have heard of that burns through ballasts like that. Lumatek and Galaxy both have 5 years warranties as well.
nope.
actually when id bring them back to the shop the guy would have a stack everytime of ballast going out back for warranty. Most made it about 2 years and that's using them hard. Most don't even stick around on a forum for two years

goats_head_soup

been around the corner
Reaction score
also most 5 year warranty are only prorated after 1 or 2 not a full 5 year exchange upon failure

Latest posts