For those of you using 1000w HPS for flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I think your supplier must have gotten a batch that were rained on or something as I have only had one failure of electronic balasts in the last 5 years, and I have several diffferent types. :eek:

My Lumatec lasted a few months before it got hot and melted the plastic inside the ballast, it still works but I don't use it, can't trust it. I also have 2 old style magnetic ballasts that I have had for over 12 years, I still use one for veg.
See if you can find the ballast you want to buy on Amazon, they usually have lots of reviews to help you decide.

I have 2 magnetic ballast...both old as **** and never had a problem. I watch my grow buddies go through digital ballast annually.

Could it be the adage of you get what you pay for applies here? Maybe in order to get a reliable digital ballast you need to spend more....
Or is it that they havent gotten the reliability figured out?
Is it just the 1000w ballasts? or all wattage digitals?

Anyone use a" Thunder" ...a friend of mine is running one, but he is only running it at 600 watts and has only had it a few months.
Of those of you who have had issues with them...Have you been able to get them replaced? Do any have a direct replacement policy where you could just take it into the local store and exchange? Thinking that if there are then it might be worth the extra $$ to buy locally?

Mine was poorly designed, small cooling fins, maybe a 1/4" tall, did not bother with replacement, shipping cost more than it was worth. Whatever you buy , make sure it has large cooling fins even if it is fan cooled, that way if the fan quits it might last long enough for you to catch it and fix it before it burns up. I had my ballasts in a semi closed area with two small fans exhausting the heat.

Those grow buddies I mentioned ended up just putting a desk fan pointing at their ballast and that seemed to make 'em last longer.

Could it be the adage of you get what you pay for applies here? Maybe in order to get a reliable digital ballast you need to spend more....
Or is it that they havent gotten the reliability figured out?
Is it just the 1000w ballasts? or all wattage digitals?

Anyone use a" Thunder" ...a friend of mine is running one, but he is only running it at 600 watts and has only had it a few months.
Of those of you who have had issues with them...Have you been able to get them replaced? Do any have a direct replacement policy where you could just take it into the local store and exchange? Thinking that if there are then it might be worth the extra $$ to buy locally?

most are prorated exchange after 2 years thru shipping back. The hortilux I bought was not made in china and has a full factory 5 year warranty.
However it cost $600 (comes with horti bulb.) My economics now are not as good so I couldn't but another if I wanted. Most people say I love my ballast until it fails. Like I said b4 whats not to like until it breaks.

The 600s and 400s and adjustable all go out. Usually you'll get several grows first. No one exchanges on site instantly.you need a backup if you can. My back up is a 600 and 400 galaxy if my 1k quits.

I wonder if it's the adjusting that's affecting the ballasts life? I have a 5yr old HTG 600w that is fan cooled and fires up every day. I have 2x 4yr old Lumatek digis that are used daily. I also have a 3yr old no-name ballast that hasn't caused any problems. None of the above mentioned ballast get adjusted. I just flip'em to max output and watch my garden grow.

@ bud88 have you checked out 1000bulb.com? I just got a 1k magnetic ballast for $107 each. A 6in a/c hood for $70. And a 1k bulb for $ 24. All ya need to find is a fan....

I wonder if it's the adjusting that's affecting the ballasts life? I have a 5yr old HTG 600w that is fan cooled and fires up every day. I have 2x 4yr old Lumatek digis that are used daily. I also have a 3yr old no-name ballast that hasn't caused any problems. None of the above mentioned ballast get adjusted. I just flip'em to max output and watch my garden grow.

@ bud88 have you checked out 1000bulb.com? I just got a 1k magnetic ballast for $107 each. A 6in a/c hood for $70. And a 1k bulb for $ 24. All ya need to find is a fan....
I did.....Your right everything is very inexpensive on that site....I was under the impression that the magnetic ballasts were a thing of the past?? Its a very inexpensive way of getting my flowering tent started....hmmmm....

As far as spending $600 on a ballast.....not on a disability salary bro.....

AM, are the ballasts you are using without issue dimmable?

I have had a number of ballasts fail also....and I DO have surge protectors on all electrical equipment.

I have had a number of ballasts fail also....and I DO have surge protectors on all electrical equipment.

Nothing lasts forever unfortunately. :) Surge protectors still help but somethings are built better than others. Have you had enough failures from a specific brand that would make you stop buying that brand? Or have they been random failures from different brands? just curious....

I noticed the hortilux ballast is the first I've had not made in China.Also hortilux ballast and quantum both are ANSI certified. Most digital ballast do not meet ansi standards

I noticed the hortilux ballast is the first I've had not made in China.Also hortilux ballast and quantum both are ANSI certified. Most digital ballast do not meet ansi standards

The Quantum was one of the ballasts I was looking at.....thanks for the info..

No one exchanges on site instantly.you need a backup if you can.

I found out that one of the local hydro shops has a 1 yr exchange on the spot warranty for all ballasts....Prices are slightly higher than on the net but knowing that I can drive 15 minutes and get a replacement for the first year is worth the extra $25-30...

All of the ballasts I have been looking at have built in fans. Some have better warranties than others....but I guess the warranty doesnt cover your grow if the lights go out and you cant get it replaced for days.....:mad:

The ballasts that have built-in fans are the ones that are prone to overheating. Else they would not have built-in fans. And when (not if, but when) those fans fail, the ballast will overheat and die. Hopefully before it starts a fire in your house.

Buy a Lumatek. They are designed to not overheat. They don't need cooling fans.

Latest posts

Back