For those of you using 1000w HPS for flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud88

Reaction score
Hey all....

I am trying to decide between buying a kit or purchasing separate components...
When it comes to digital ballasts? who's using what? I was looking at the Quantum, IPower, Ultrasun, Lumatek, Thunder ?

Going in a 4 x 4 x 80 tent....
shopping around for a 6" or 8" Air Cooled Hood.. What would you say is the widest that you could comfortably fit? The Raptor looks really nice but its not going to fit in a 4 x 4.

Trying to get the most bang for my buck....

Looking forward to what everyone has to say!!

Thx........:48:

Bud88...

I had a 1000W system with a Lumatek Digi, i also used a 6" aircooled hood, the fan cooled the hood perfectly so its doable with a 6" if you dont wanna go 8", i just had the basic sunsystem hood.

If I was going back to hid I would buy a switchable 1000w ballast, that does not have a fan but one that has large heat sinks instead . The fan will be the first thing to go on the fan cooled ballasts.

As long as you're only running 1-1k you will be good with 6" ducts and fan. If you were to have 3-1ks or more you would want the 8" ducts and fan. I like the Lumatek ballasts personally but everyone is going to give you a different answer for that question. i really don't like the kits you can get because they usually have generic fans/filters/tents etc, just another personal opinion.

opinions

I have 4 1k with 6inch duct. works well

:vap-leafy_wave::vap-leafy_wave::vap-leafy_wave::vap-leafy_wave:

i really don't like the kits you can get because they usually have generic fans/filters/tents etc, just another personal opinion.

AM,
Should have elaborated on what I meant by a kit....I meant a 1000W HPS light kit...ballast, bulbs, hood, hangers, timer......
:48:

As far ask the 6" or 8" hood goes....most of the 8" hoods are pretty large in width and in a 48" tent it would be a tight fit... Would love to be able to fit the Raptor 8 but its over 40" wide...leaves little or no room for duct work... Im thinking I need a hood that is no wider than 30".

If I was going back to hid I would buy a switchable 1000w ballast, that does not have a fan but one that has large heat sinks instead . The fan will be the first thing to go on the fan cooled ballasts.

All of the ballasts I have been looking at have built in fans. Some have better warranties than others....but I guess the warranty doesnt cover your grow if the lights go out and you cant get it replaced for days.....:mad:

Ive been considering these ....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0TCKGY/ref=s9_simh_co_p60_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=typ-top-left-1&pf_rd_r=0X20R0QWGS0C0V8YEEDC&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1827489602&pf_rd_i=typ01[/ame]

this one could be a tight fit in a 4 x 4 tent....

http://www.hpsgrowlightstore.com/ipower-grow-light-1000w-hps-dimmable-cool-tube-xxl-set.html

or

I could purchase the items separately and go with a Quantum dimmable ballast, Extreme 6" hood, and Digilux bulbs(2) for around the same price...

when your in a certain price range there seems like there is little difference. Guess it is what works for you in this case?

If you have the space a 1000w HPS will cover a 55 x 55 tent very well. Its only a 7" increase but creates about 25% more space and thus potential yield. i use a Big Kahuna, 6"air cooled hood and lumatek ballast and am very happy with them.

I run two 600's in my 4.5' x 4.5' tents. I love the super large footprint and being more than sufficient with the lumens :D

Well, I had planned on ordering a SolaHut 4 x 4 x 80 next week but after checking with the company they are out of stock on all tents and wont have any available until 2015.
So I need to decide on another tent also...Not very happy because the SolaHut was really heavy duty...almost like a Gorilla but for almost half the price.....
Looking at a 5 x 5 now....

All of the ballasts I have been looking at have built in fans. Some have better warranties than others....but I guess the warranty doesnt cover your grow if the lights go out and you cant get it replaced for days.....:mad:

You need a backup. After a couple of grows, I already have a couple of extra lamps and hoods and ballasts, so in a pinch, I could get some lights back on, unless it was a power failure, because I have no portable generator. I suppose that they could go next to a window for a day or two if the power went out.

You need a backup. After a couple of grows, I already have a couple of extra lamps and hoods and ballasts, so in a pinch, I could get some lights back on, unless it was a power failure, because I have no portable generator. I suppose that they could go next to a window for a day or two if the power went out.

Im on a disability income so backup's aren't an option at the moment....Its hard enough affording the first light setup....

I will have an extra bulb this go around but anything else just isnt going to happen...

Thanks DGF....I will look at the SunHut....

Buying equipment on Craigslist has saved me a TON of money. I got 2 Easycool6 hoods, two light movers, a 600w HPS and a 400w MH and a 4 bulb four foot T5 HO for less than $200. Yeah, you may have to replace bulbs but you're still way ahead of the game.

@bud88 Have you looked at 1000bulbs.com? They have 1k magnetic ballasts for $107.

I like any ballast that doesn't fail but most barely make it past 2 years and many fail b4 one year. I had 2 lumateks fail. And 2 galaxy fail. Then I bought a hortilux platinum ballast. 5 year warranty. That was a bit over 2 years ago. I guess we all like our ballast as long as they a working correctly what's not to like.

I like any ballast that doesn't fail but most barely make it past 2 years and many fail b4 one year. I had 2 lumateks fail. And 2 galaxy fail. Then I bought a hortilux platinum ballast. 5 year warranty. That was a bit over 2 years ago. I guess we all like our ballast as long as they a working correctly what's not to like.

I think you need to invest in some surge protectors. You are the first person I have heard of that burns through ballasts like that. Lumatek and Galaxy both have 5 years warranties as well.

I think you need to invest in some surge protectors. You are the first person I have heard of that burns through ballasts like that. Lumatek and Galaxy both have 5 years warranties as well.

nope.
actually when id bring them back to the shop the guy would have a stack everytime of ballast going out back for warranty. Most made it about 2 years and that's using them hard. Most don't even stick around on a forum for two years

also most 5 year warranty are only prorated after 1 or 2 not a full 5 year exchange upon failure

Latest posts

Back