Former DEA agent, magazine editor argue legalizing pot at Tech debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
At least one thing was clear Wednesday night at Texas Tech: It was high times for the Tech Activities Board, a group of students that brings entertainment and educational programs to the university.

Thousands of students packed into an auditorium to hear a former Drug Enforcement Administration agent and the editor of High Times magazine debate marijuana.

Tickets for "The Debate Over the Legalization of Marijuana: Heads vs. Feds" sold out Monday, said Jana Vise, an assistant director of the Student Union Building, where the debate was held.

"I know some of you are rooting for the feds," said Arnold Loewy, a Tech law professor and Wednesday's debate mediator. "I know," he paused, "some of you are rooting for the heads."

The latter was met with riotous applause.

"I personally don't smoke," said Tech Activities Board member Ross Girouard, 18.

But, he added, "There's always going to be people out there who smoke weed. (This debate) is a good way for people to listen to ideas from both sides."

That they did.

As a stereotypical pothead, Steve Hager - who became the High Times editor in 1988 - delivered, in a faded T-shirt, his gray hair all a mess.

And as a stereotypical DEA agent, Bob Stutman - sometimes called "the most famous narc in America" - delivered, too, his Oxford shirt all buttoned up.

There's lots of reasons pot should be legal, but big pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know it, Hager said.

Marijuana, he said, is a potent medicine, and anybody with a marijuana seed can grow it just about anywhere.

Prisons would be less crowded and peace-loving members of his counter-culture wouldn't be harrassed if pot were legal, said Hager, who went to the first Woodstock with $4 in his pocket.

We are not going to give up our sacrament at the point of a gun or the threat of jail," Hager said.

Stutman said weed should stay illegal until Americans vote to legalize it or lobby so in the courts.

Studies show it's harmful, addictive and dangerous, especially to adolescents, he said.

"Just because God made it doesn't make it good," he said.

"There are 435 chemicals in cannibus and only two make good medicine."

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/013108/cri_242264100.shtml

So lets extract thoes two.....yaaa

Ekoostik_Hookah said:

So lets extract thoes two.....yaaa

Also the most rediculous arguement of any against marijuana, especially as a medicine. Considering the processes pharmeceuticals go through. All plants have tons of chemicals in them, I'm sure Clorophyl is in that count. How many chemicals are in an aloe vera plant and how much do we use it for

That was well said,
I have noticed over the years that when there is a debate, such as this one, there alway seems to be interrupting, rude comments, personal slams, twisted views, and flat out misdirection, not to mention the incredable lies.
The interesting part is that the one side that doesn't do this is the side that smokes. In fact the side that smokes usually is mellow and relaxed, and certainly knows how to argue with ediquette, and good manners.
just my $0.02
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

King I am going to Put ur Name as President on Feb 5 !!!
You always have the Word of wisedom..!!

Studies show it's harmful, addictive and dangerous, especially to adolescents, he said.

So I guess this doesn't apply to cigarettes, booze, perscription pills, processed meat, caffeine, etc.?

They really should be ashamed of themselves, it's pure money grubbing evil. Half a million have died of side effects from "safe" medicine in the last 10 years. And exactly zero died from smoking dope, well from the actual MJ itself I'm not including the people who die through the enforcement of laws, not to mention the families that get torn apart.

Ha-Ha Thanks guys,
I don't know about wisdom, and as for being president, I'll pass. The only thing I would like to share is good times remembered, Lots of good laughter. and the most difficult one to say out loud is Love.
You guys are still building your memories, and I hope that they are as fun as mine have been. My friends, and I still love to get together, and burn a hoober. We laugh a lot with and at each other, cause we don't feel awkward about it, we know we care for each other. We would never try to get over on each other so the doors open to us. When you guys are the age of some of us, then do the same for the next group coming up behind you, Be Cool, laugh and crack the jokes, and most important of all, let it be said of you, "He knew how to love well, and did".
It's easy stuff, and getting a buzz on just makes it that much sweeter.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

FruityBud said:
Stutman said weed should stay illegal until Americans vote to legalize it or lobby so in the courts.

You heard The Man, we can just do a nationwide vote to legalize, no problem. Somehow, I imagine the Powers that Be don't want us voting on anything directly like that. Power to the People? Power to the "Representatives" already bought and sold.
Really it's the classic argument of the oppressor in a "democracy". Don't like the laws, well gosh, you can just vote to change them. Yeah. And where exactly do I check that box?
Not that I'm too jaded to give up the fight, far from.

I'm with you, I do as much as I can legally. It's never gonna happen, there are too many industries that could be crippled by the legalization...hell my sis was watching Ron Paul on MTV last night when I was over her place. Ron said it himself, if we legalized hemp then we could use it as a fuel...oil companies will stop this in no time...they got money and power and many lobbyists, so do the alcohol compnaies, and the synthetics companies, not to mention the "underground". The MJ lobbyists have no money to fight these guys.

Hemp clothing and material makes companies like Du Pont cringe but they have more money than god. many alcohol companies see a loss in consumption if it is legalized (which I don't buy). I think it's more like this, people will realize that pot heads are not as bad as drunks, crime will not run rampant and alcohol will be put under a microscope, cause lets face it as smokers and drinkers we know weed is a bit more mellow even if you are addicted. And the underground whats it to stay illegal, MONEY. So really to get anything done in this country you either need synpathy and common ground (megans law, Amber Warning system etc.), or MONEY and ORGINIZATION which MJ does not have.

Also I hear this a lot, "whatever happened to so and so the MJ activist"." I haven't heard a thing since he went to prison and got out". Well how would you feel if you took one for the team and no one came to help, we stoners run like scared little cock roaches when a light comes on. Conspiracy laws are scarey aren't they?

We need to be unified and show our power in numbers, whether you do it legally or illegally you should do something if you believe in it. Go to rallies, be a paying memeber or organizations like norml.org. Hell if you wanna think outdside the box too I see no harm in that either as long as no one gets hurt and people use common sense....Johnny Appleseed style my friends.

And yes I am calling out each and everyone of you that wants to see things change, do something anything otherwise the feds will win again.

Free the Weed

Sorry for the rant I just watched BraveHeart and I'm all fired up....FREEDOM
LOL

i actually attended this a while ago....... so many kids it was a joke

FruityBud said:
"Just because God made it doesn't make it good," he said.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/013108/cri_242264100.shtml
So if "Drug A" contained 435 chemicals and only 2 made good medince...and saved you pain and anguish (made death easier if need be - cancer patients), who gives a crap as long as the other 433 didn't kill you. If you don't believe in God does it matter if it's good? I think if there is a God he would want the good stuff, how is He going to get "high" on crap?

Latest posts

Back