Fox Farms Light Warrior Seed Starter for Cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I am going to be doing some experiments with my clones this time around and one test is going to be using Fox Farms Light Warrior.

Has anyone used this for cloning?

I took a handful of it and put it in a jar. I added water and the medium just floats to the top and doesn't absorb any water.

I am letting it soak for an hour or so to see if it sucks up the water but my experience with starter medium like this has never shown a product with adequate absorbency.

I am thinking of maybe adding some raw soil like top soil to it to make it a little more absorbent.

I know you don't want clones to be soaking wet but this stuff just stays dry. LOL The roots need some moisture when they start to develop.

Just wondering if anyone has used this and what success you had with it.

Thanks

I clone with Fox Farms Happy Frog. You may want to mix it with that to give it more "body" so to speak. :confused2:

That's 2 votes for a 50/50 mix. I just checked on my test mix and it still has not soaked up the water.

I'll pick up some Happy Frog tomorrow and see how a 50/50 of that works out.

I also add perlite for happier roots. :)

Good luck bud.

The Light Warrior has a fair amount of perlite in it. If it clumps after I do the 50/50 mix, I'll add some extra perlite.

I will be doing some experimenting on this crop so I am open to any other cloning medium anyone wants to suggest.

I am going to be doing some experiments with my clones this time around and one test is going to be using Fox Farms Light Warrior.

Has anyone used this for cloning?

I took a handful of it and put it in a jar. I added water and the medium just floats to the top and doesn't absorb any water.

I am letting it soak for an hour or so to see if it sucks up the water but my experience with starter medium like this has never shown a product with adequate absorbency.

I am thinking of maybe adding some raw soil like top soil to it to make it a little more absorbent.

I know you don't want clones to be soaking wet but this stuff just stays dry. LOL The roots need some moisture when they start to develop.

Just wondering if anyone has used this and what success you had with it.

Thanks

I use seed starter mix all the time. You have to premix it with water and stir the heck out of it... It will never absorb by just sitting there.

I am partial to coco coir. It is ideally absorbent but drains great. It holds the cuttings really well and a block of it is cheap and will go a loooong way. I talked to DrGreenThumb a week ago and he told me that he now uses it for cloning and has 100% success. He struggled with a variety of cloning medium/methods including aeroponics before he decided to use the coco. It is completely inert so you don't have to worry about chems. He said he presoaks it with a little bit of Clonex solution, dips his cuttings in rooting hormone and then gently buries the treated stems in the coco rather than pushing the stems into the medium, and off they go. :)

Latest posts

Back