Fox Farms ocean forest soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenspyz7

Reaction score
Hello everyone i am going to be growing ak47 autoflower strain again real soon and was wondering what a good soil mix was. Last time i used about 2lb worm castings a whole bag of ff ocean forest soil and a third of a bag of perlite. The results were pretty good 4 out of 5 plants survived with one not growing looking burned.

Anyone have a good soil recipe with Foxfarm ocean forest soil with castings and perlite?

Anyone have any input on rapid rooter plugs and planting them directly into ff ocean forest soil?

Any input on this matter would be great thanks...

Hi,

Here's a great thread I found not too long ago at Breedbay on soil mixes... it's the mother of all soil threads:

Paste this web address into your browser and change the XX to tt ;)

hXXp://www.breedbay.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=201339188

You can also keep it much simpler and here's a very basic recipe for the ingredients that you mentioned:

3 parts Foxfarm Ocean Forest
1 part Worm Castings
1 part Chunky Perlite

Another good option would be to use a mix of FFOF and Light Warrior which has added mychorrizae:

2 parts FFOF
1 part LW
1 part Worm Castings
1 part Chunky Perlite

Rapid Rooter plugs work great when you root in them and transplant to soil although when I used them I'd wait until I had plenty of roots coming out of the plugs before I transplanted. A mychorrizal application to the roots when transplanting is helpful too.

Happy Growing!:cool:

hey raven, saw u said you were doing autos again.How do you like them?Do you suggest them over anything else to keep a head smoke supply constant?whats up with cloning them?The seeds get quite expensive.

frankcos said:
hey raven, saw u said you were doing autos again.How do you like them?Do you suggest them over anything else to keep a head smoke supply constant?whats up with cloning them?The seeds get quite expensive.

The thing about autoflowerin plants is...they automatically flower. You can't clone them, because the clones regardless of light cycles, will continue to flower once they've hit the alternating node age. It's kinda like humans...after you've hit puberty, you can't unhit puberty ;) Yer gonna get hairy junk either way. So as far as keeping a constant supply of meds coming in, you'd have to pollenate a branch to produce more seeds every time you wanted to start a new cycle. And unless you're crossbreeding with another auto-flower male, it may retard the autoness of it. Anyway, hope that's helpful!

Hola ravenspyz7,
I am most definately not a veteran, but I might be able to add a little incite into rapid rooters. My first batch was a failure, nay, a disaster. I was so focused on text book germination procedures; that I over-looked simplicity, and mother nature. True my first batch got incenerated(surface of the sun-like heat), but even then, my transplanting from germed seeds to rapid rooters was horrible. I broke radicles and seedling heads, while cramming into rooters. I had 2 out of 31 make it. LOL. .. Fast forward to my current project. I took 7 Skunk #1 seeds, scarified them for thirty seconds in a matchbox lined with sandpaper, dropped them in a cup filled of distilled water, and after 15 hours later, I placed one seed into one rapid rooter. I did pre-soak my rooters in distilled water for about 10 minutes before placing seed in rooter. Too prevent drowning the seed, I did gently squeeze out excess water left in the hole; also before placing seed in. I then took a 7" humidity dome and placed it over the propagation tray. I then placed the top of the tray just 3 inches from my 8-bulb T5 light. Its been 5 days since planting and today I have first signs of 2 out of 7 popping through surface. I plan on spraying them later on today with B-52 from advanced nutrients. I will update with pictures in a few days if you care to know more. Good luck.

I have almost one hundred percent success in useing the little peat moss pucks or whatever they're made of. I soak them in HOT water til they swell up, place seeds in top, place in tray with dome and put in dark place(cabinet) for about three days and voila. Doesn't get much easier than that. They are very easy to transplant this way as well.

I have excellent success using rapid rooters to germinate. I just place the seed in the hole, pinch it closed and put in a tray and soak it with water pouring off the excess. I cover it with a humidity dome and place in a dark place. A few days later they pop up and I put them under floro light. After about a week or so I bury the rooter and stem a little below the starter leaves. It works great. I have germinated using all of the methods and had good success but I like the rooters because you don't fuss with the seed after it germinates so you don't break the roots off. It's simple. Just keep the rooter moist but not too wet so they can breath.

greenthumberish said:
The thing about autoflowerin plants is...they automatically flower. You can't clone them, because the clones regardless of light cycles, will continue to flower once they've hit the alternating node age. It's kinda like humans...after you've hit puberty, you can't unhit puberty ;) Yer gonna get hairy junk either way. So as far as keeping a constant supply of meds coming in, you'd have to pollenate a branch to produce more seeds every time you wanted to start a new cycle. And unless you're crossbreeding with another auto-flower male, it may retard the autoness of it. Anyway, hope that's helpful!
yes this was very helpful thanks.

Latest posts

Back