Freaking out Smoking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its too good of weed for a beginner is what it sounds like to me. I'd love to lose my mind like that!

Hi,

I've smoked weed for about 30 years and I've known many people over the years that it doesn't agree with. More often than not, it's someone who very rarely gets high and then they smoke some killer sticky icky and it's complete sensory overload! :eek: It's a matter of tolerance or lack of tolerance. Over the years I've gone on the wagon from time to time to clear my head and lower my tolerance. The last time I did this I stopped smoking weed for about 15 months in '06 - '07. When I started again, the first time I got high was over at a friend's house and he broke out some special stash. I got SO damn high it felt like I was tripping. Even for a guy who has been a daily toker since I was 16 or so the buzz was a bit too much. Within a few more times getting high I had enough tolerance so that I would only get a good buzz and not go too far into the paranoid zone... Newbies should stick to brown weed if the mean green is too much.

Peace!:cool:

No everyone is wired for it. I knew this girl in high school that would run and hide in the closet. Hilarious but killed the mood.

Closest thing that happened to me was during a two month binge- I went through the house and gathered up everything, I mean everything that could be considered contriband and threw in the neighbors trash.

Then at 5am, I sat on the front steps waiting for the FEDs to come. I was sure they coming. Around lunch time my neighbor told me take my *** in the house.

Yes it was trash day. Bongs, scales, one hitters...

It really seemed like a good idea at the time:confused:

very funny aslan. Many many years ago when dope was hard to come by I was at a party in the Midlands (UK) and it was Nepalese. We were so out of it that extreme paranoia kicked in. There was this weird guy who crashed the party lurking around and we became convinced he was from the D.S.
I think he must have got wind of the plot to kill him and bury him under the apple tree because he left in a hurry.

The word were looking for I believe is called anxiety. Most ppl have to deal with it at some stage in there life. Can be quite a scary feeling and usually ppl mistake it for all sorts of other problems.
Marijuana can be a major turn on button for anxiety ive found with some ppl.
All about controling ur own head. Once you have this down anxiety can be quite a fun high ahah

Maybe they are allergic to fun. I briefly had a girlfriend like that. Very beautiful but the thought of doing something fun almost gave her hives. My Dad told told me it was freudian because my mom became that way after they were married.:angrywife:

I have passed out, fell face first without anybody catching me, woke up with someone saying, 'is he dead?'

Another time I smoked this joint with a friend who was visiting, I think the weed was called, 'smoke this and you die'.....I got real woozy, flushed feeling, turned gray and started sweating profusely.....drank some juice and sat down for about an hour......

But I'm still enjoying the herb.....

I'm so glad someone revived this thread. I'm going to share my story because it sounds like it's happening to lots of people.

The facts: I'm a guy. I smoked several times a day everyday while in college (all 4 years). I always smoked the shwag nothing great but I stopped after I graduated so I could start my career. I probably went 1-2 years without smoking a puff. About 8 months ago I started smoking again (only 3-4 times a week) but am only smoking KB and no more shwag. I usually only pull one hit and I'm baked. Two weeks ago I sat around and smoked couple bowls of KB with 5 guys and all of a sudden started to feel a real shortness of breath. I felt my skin get really flushed and sweaty and could almost tell that I was losing color just by the way I was feeling. My nasal passages started to close up and I couldn't breathe out of my nose at all. I kept trying to take bigger and bigger breaths through my mouth but it seemed like I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I couldn't even freakin talk it was that bad. I really started to feel like I would pass out if I couldn't get things to settle. I sat on the couch and closed my eyes and tried not to focus on all the talking and laughter from the other guys. I felt this way for damn near 20 minutes. Finally my friends started asking me what was wrong and told me I should eat something. I tried to eat a chip of all things but couldn't swallow it as my mouth was completely dry. Finally I got up and walked outside to get fresh air because I didn't know what else to do. It seemed like the oxygen outside really started to help things. After about another 20 minutes things started to finally calm down and I was feeling a little better. I thought it was just caused from being hung over from the night of drinking before and smoking more than I was used to. However, just last night, nearly two weeks later, I took a single rip from my one hitter and as soon as the high came on, the same thing started to happen. My nose closed up, mouth got dry, couldn't get enough air and started to freak out. Had to go outside again and breathe in some fresh air. I was almost to the point where I was going to dial 911 because I thought I was going to pass out or die even. I didn't smoke near as much this time as the time before and the effects were much the same if not slightly worse. I've been smoking this way for about 8 months and it's just recently started to happen. I can smoke the same **** one time and be fine and then the next time feel like I can't breathe. I know this is really long so I'll wrap it up.

I'm wondering if this is caused by some sort of reaction since my nose is closing up, or if it is a panic attack or a combination of both. Its just so weird because I used to smoke and smoke and smoke back in the day. I'm sure my tolerance has gone way down but I wouldn't think it would cause this much of a reaction. I'm going to see the dr. tomorrow to discuss what has been going on. I'm wondering if I'm allergic to something else or if I could possibly be asthmatic. Anyone experience anything similar and find resolution?

Wow...haha, I have read almost every reply to this post and I am drying my cheeks off as I am typing this from laughing uncontrolingly... wheeeew damn that felt great !
Anyway I have had some different experiences smoking and I think she should maybe try a nice Indica and go easy at first untill she gets used to being really high !
Every now and again with a nice strong strain of sativa I can get a near phsycadelic rush ! I wish I could get it a lil more often though... hehehe

Hmm, i can remember one time that i was standing on the edge of the tub blowing a hit into the ceiling fan in the bathroom and when i woke up i was on the floor all wrapped up in the shower curtain and the shower curtain rod was laying next to me, lol....then another time after gettin really really baked, i took a really hot shower...same thing, woke up on the floor with the shower curtain wrapped around me, curtain rod on the floor...funny stuff, my buddy was all poundin on the door yellin at me "you ok"....never anything like anxiety or asthma though...maybe i should stop holding my hits for so long...

I am 35 and been puffing the cheeba for about 5 years nonstop now ! I started smoking because I broke 2 vertabres in my back on my jobsite ! The Dr. gave me some norco pain meds for relief. Only to find out they made me feel like crap ! just like all the other pain meds they eventually
tried on me.
So a friend of mine introduced me to MJ, at first when I smoked I felt that paranoid feeling along with a little anxiety as well ! But as I smoked more often I got used to it and those feeling subsided. Today I can smoke the best of the best all day long and be on cloud nine the whole time, a big grin ear to ear, and 100% pain free brother, no paranoia and no anxiety what so ever !
Ok here's where it gets funny .... just two weeks ago a friend of a friend came by with this big fancey bong that had all kinds of different chambers and filter systems, so by the time you got a hit it was almost just a vapor !
We loaded it up with some jack herer and I went to town on this ***** !
I coudnt even tell I was getting anything in my lungs, so I proceeded to to hit it about 5 times.... and so did my wife !
Well long story short, we both looked at eachother about 10 minutes later and she had a look on her face that just screamed TOOO HIGH !
I felt the same ! I havent been that fricken high EVER ! I guess the moral of this story is dont push the envalope unless you wanna go to that unfarmiiar place ? :hubba:

If your not enjoying it, don't do it. Take a break, or try a differnt strain. When I was akid, I used to get paranoid, but I had to hide it from parents, and teachers....but I haven't had that problem in 20 yrs.

For some reason most of the people Ive seen have bad experiences with marijuana have been girls. Ive seen a couple dudes freak out but mostly girls. I guess lower tolerence. I had a weird experince once but is was like a out of body thing. Hard to explain but it wasnt a bad thing.

Can't let this thread die! I've been having these same anxiety attacks and that's just what it is. For one I'm a newbie smoker. I mean I didn't toke for the first time but around 10 months ago when I was 22. Plus i'm in the military so getting high in the barracks especially where "spice" has been such a huge problem and paranoia all over in an environment where everyone seems to try to screw you over I still get down cause that's how I get down. Even though I know I'm gonna get paranoid and have high anxiety I choose to do it. For one I'm a paranoid person sober, I'm always anxious, my blood pressure seems to be higher than normal but dad gumm itit I still puff away because I like it. Because after it passes and it does which I now remind myself I kick back and a watch a movie or listen to music and it's like nothing being sober. I remind myself being back at the beach passing a bowl with a friend and just staring at the waves with no worries in the world.. or driving by the beach on PCH high listening to some good tunes relaxing. People that say stop if its giving you anxiety attacks F that noise. Like some have mentioned it's all mental. We have an issue. A problem and instead of running away from it face it. Light up go into the paranoid zone and use this great plan to heal your heart because that's what its about. Self actualization. Learn about yourself and change what needs to be changed. In a paranoid state its nice to remember that pot has NEVER killed anyone so smile when your freaking out =) It will pass. It will be enjoyable. I don't have the option of a "comfortable spot" so you do what you have to do in a war zone and hope one day you can build your comfort zone because it sure sounds nice. I admit we smoke way to much way to fast because everything we do we do it big. But I have learned that moderation is key and don't feel like a ***** because you can't take 5 blunts in 5 minutes like snoop dogg. Take one hit and slowly move on. Mix it with some tabacco if you'd like so you don't have a weak looking bowl if that's what your into. And slowly build your tolerance and experience and through time it will take you into the next level. Thanks for reading this long as post I just had to write it. God bless.

My two cents: Been an off and on smoker since 15 (32 now) and I've tried it all from South Carolina dirt weed with sand in the bag to Amsterdam cafes. I've had the pass out highs, throwing up, the whole nine yards. I quit smoking for a while in my twenties because that was the first panic attack I'd had. It was different than the tunnel vision / white blurry vision stuff I'd had before. I'd never had a panic attack so I freaked out which made it worse. I took a lot of time to chill. Since I've gone back to smoking I've had much better quality weed in general and I've experienced mostly good but also the bad. Three times in particular I might have smoked weed that was tainted (the smell and taste were not great) or I react differently to Sativa or Indica or various levels of THC...who knows. Experiences for different people with different strains range from euphoria to dread apparently. My bad experiences have all included panic attacks but without much of a marijuana high that I expected to have. It seemed much more dissociative and, well, chemical. I also end up with strange sensations on my left side and my left pupil gets larger than my right. I don't quite feel like myself and I feel doomed for some reason. I've heard that certain kinds of weed can do this as well and it can be a panic attack thing in itself. I've had a full body work up and there are no heart / lung problems, it has to do with the nervous system apparently. Just to mention this: PCP can create the same physical effects as a panic attack (sweating and chills, anxiety and paranoia...and of course much worse sometimes) so it's not impossible that some of us may have gotten 'wet' a time or two before (or smoked Raid or something like that). I've recently had a 'panic attack' if that is what it was after trying a different strain (I've been smoking Trainwreck for about a month now and just switched) and it's apparent that certain kinds of weed will not agree with me (Trainwreck did not adversely affect me at all but this stuff did). In my opinion this has nothing to do with tolerance, it has everything to do with biological make-up, what age you start smoking (the younger you are the more likely you'll develop a panic / mood disorder), and whether or not you're smoking just weed. Unfortunately weed does something for me that I love and I have a hard time moderating so I'm better off taking a break completely. I've realized that it's not worth it for me to keep smoking and risk these attacks as they seem to start to occur more frequently. I seriously doubt I was unfortunate enough to find laced / treated weed three times in the past 5 years so I assume it's either the type of weed or other circumstances. This past experience makes me think I'll never smoke again unless it comes from a certified organic medical vendor (hopefully NY will legalize in a couple of years) and if I have a panic attack I'll know it wasn't meant to be. Moral of the story: marijuana is a psychoactive drug and can screw with your mind in ways you may not like, some of us are better suited to smoke it than others and it is an illegal substance in most places so you might get more than you bargained for from time to time. But as the saying goes: Everything in Life is a Wager.

Of course. Good thread!

Some might call me an addict, others a patient, but I feel like I am just myself. I am in the early 20's, and ALREADY have had my share of bad experiences with weed. I started as a teen in high school and my best friend was a dealer carrying dank. I pretty much liked the sensation it gave me, I felt(feel) that it relaxes me to a point that makes the world around me just better. I have not sobered up since but attempts were not at bay and the "high" like your first time doesn't seem to come back...It seems like its just like any other illegal drug out there. Making the user want to go back to the first high? Hmm. Interesting.

Well back to the subject, I have had 2 really bad trips. The one that someone described somewhere on this thread where your vision goes blurry white. The worse was one time I was riding on the bus, standing up, this sensation suddenly came upon me and it made me FAINT! Another time was a similar but I was sitting down... help..? :rolleyes:

Bad times....

Latest posts

Back