Free Smart Pots, ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rusty Shackleford said:
This seems like a good idea and i think i will have to try a few clones and a couple of seed. Way to go BudLover#69 good find.

Thanks Rusty, I'm going to try some too! It would be cool if we both do journals on how they go and have eachother to compare.;) As Hamster said Welcome and good luck with your grow.:)

I grow in (store bought) smart pots outside and I am pretty sure the sun would decimate those WalMart shopping bags. I left a few in my old truck and a few months later, I used one and the bottom came right out, it had rotted, from the sun I guess. Indoors they might work really well, I am all for watching.

While it may be the same base material, the processes in manufacture are quite different. Those are nonwoven polypro. Quite different from woven which is what is used in smart pots and other similar grow bags.

Your second pic in post 13 says it all- "Keep out of direct sunlight." Good luck in your test run. Be interested in seeing the root mass at the end of the cycle. Hope it works out for you.

Ya these are alot thiner than the actual smart pots, but I grow Indoors/Closet. Just getting rid of my huge stack of pots is a plus for me, Im in a small Apt. Here is my First test run on these--Flower only, I transplanted these 3 days ago and put them in flower closet same day. So I will see how they work for flowering, one is a Querkle and the other a SnowCap.. We will see how they look two months from now. they are under a 600hps and will get company soon :) ,, the other pic is the other side of closet, what the hell!;) :D

first.jpg

light on.jpg

bud.jpg

I'd think these would work great for a 70 day auto strain grow.

Very interesting but I'm afraid they won't catch on around these parts for quite a while. I have to ask for paper everywhere I shop. They seem to love plastic here.

nice find budlover---looking forward to your report on the performance of these bags---i was just looking at smart pots the other day and was curious to know what their life expectancy was---i have actually seen root pushing thru the bag and would expect this to be wear and tear to shorten their life

The smart pots are great, but i must not be very strong, cause I hate taking the plants out. It is hard. Like from a 3 gallon to put into a 5 gallon takes a lot of strength to tear those roots out. Guess the answer for me is don't use the 3 gall ones at all.

I have the husband take a shovel and shovel out the 45 gallon pots. I don't think I would want to wrestle around the three gallon variety by myself. I have seen roots thru the bottom before and into the ground here. The worms love to live in and under them over the winter too. I am personally a success story for Smart Pots. I see a lot of them being used up here in the mountains.

As for life expectancy, I am on my third season outdoors for a few of mine, and they look pretty darn good to me. They do seem to be not as dense, like the walls have expanded some, but nothing that would preclude using them a few more years. I think I paid $15 each for them. I sure hope I would get five years at least. That would make them cost effective then.

I really like seeing you use the Walmart bags to grow in.

Thanks TC what are your thoughts when you see your special nute mix seeping thru the walls of the smart pots when you are watering---bums me out when ever i watch my mixes just pouring down the drain---literally pouring $$$ down the drain--- i gotta work out a "grey water " thang for the run off

orangesunshine said:
Thanks TC what are your thoughts when you see your special nute mix seeping thru the walls of the smart pots when you are watering---bums me out when ever i watch my mixes just pouring down the drain---literally pouring $$$ down the drain--- i gotta work out a "grey water " thang for the run off

Sounds like to me you are over watering them. I just started using these Walmart Polyproplene bags, but No water comes out the sides when I water them and it is pretty easy to get just a perfect amount to them just a little bottom sepage. Each bag has about 4.25 gal soil and I watered today a little over a half gal each seem to be perfect.

So I got to take some pictures but you guys are all going to get a laugh out of this. I got 20 bags from Wallmart, got the Old Singer sewing maching out and start making pots!! LOL they turned out Great, Very Cool and funny :)

orangesunshine said:

Or just use amendments :) 17 weeks of plain H20

So I took some pictures of my new Free WallSmart Pots!! LOL,,, Using an Very old sewing machine and about two hours of Stoned Playing here is what I got so far. I am Swithching to these and getting rid all my plastic! I like these way better and you can stuff more together under lights Just Cool, I love em!

phpewLuw2AM.jpg

php0s8AIpAM.jpg

phpatDN8rAM.jpg

phpa4uvBqAM.jpg

phpfgvDHKAM.jpg

orangesunshine said:

Orange, I am probably not doing my girls justice in the nute department. I don't get any leakage. I use measured amounts of nutes, about two gallons per pot, and it sinks where it will. The Pots only leak when I water them super heavy, like a occasional flush(then only at the bottom seam). I water everyday due to high temps here Mid Summer and on. Once it cools down in the fall, I don't water near as often. I nute every week, sometimes every other watering.

NC, I usually start with new soil too, but not this year, so more nutes.:D And some of those amendments.

Looking good there BudLover, I sure hope they work out for you. I think I have seen those at the Wally World check out stand. Love the little ones....

now that is a smart pot!!!! cheap and it works...thats smart ;)
in the words of my favorite actor!!!
"Shop Smart Shop S-Mart" :hubba:

Hola TC---my experience with them was with a rootbound plant in what was essentially recycled soil---water just seemed to flow out as quick as it was going in---roots were penetrating the bag---guess the same thing would have happened in plastic---leaking out the sides on the smartpot and not just the bottom in plastic---just wouldn't hold any water---lesson learned---thanks

Mutt said:
now that is a smart pot!!!! cheap and it works...thats smart ;)
in the words of my favorite actor!!!
"Shop Smart Shop S-Mart" :hubba:

:D Thanks Mutt, Ya this dam WallyWorld close to me is one of the FEW that Force you to use these dam bags @ 25cents each. At first it really pissed me off!! But I am to lazy to drive the extra ten minutes to a different one. So I was looking at these dam bags one day and laughed told my girl I should just use them as pots,,LOL and it just stuck. Now I am going to only use these and have a bunch of my friends trying them out. Cracks me Up becuase W-Mart is shoving them down my troat here now they think I am NUTS when I go in and Only buy 20 or 50 wallMart Bags!! LOL,,OHH Dude it is Funny and a Kid figured it out the other day he was saying I bet that works, I know what thy are for!! and I told him U can Smoke on that!;)

Latest posts

Back