FreshStart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmToTable

Reaction score
Well..Very bad news everyone. The cheap *** timer I bought didn't work last night...plants are COOKED.

ITS ok thought. I'm a very positive person and I see this as an opportunity. Although I was looking forward to getting some smoke from these plants...I would very much rather NOT grow bag-seed.

SO with that said...I have the opportunity to switch a few things including my TIMER, soil mix, and grow containers. I can also order some fem seeds now :) :) :)

I'm open for suggestions on seed-banks please. PLEASE. I'm looking for something that grows on the smaller and more compact size...and has a relatively fast turnaround. I feel like that's a stupid comment...fast turnaround. I should point out that I don't want to sacrifice quality, i just want a faster strain.

Input on grow bags vs pots? Starting under the MH..that ok? Also, any disadvantages to 18-6 lighting? I understand Veg will be a little slower, is that true? What do all you seasoned growers prefer?

Give us a little more story here. A timer failing should not have cooked your plants.

IMO, there are no advantages to vegging with 18/6 vegging light. Vegging with 18/6 is counterproductive to a "fast turnaround" and shorter more compact plants--it not only takes longer (you ultimately do not save any money since you have to veg longer) but encourages stretch and longer internodal spacing. Since most plants stretch when put into 12/12 you want them as short and compact as possible when going in.

Check out Attitude for seeds (click on the banner at the top of the page). I am not much into Indicas, so someone else will have to recommend a good short fast indica.

A little more story would help!

At night I close my closet about 10 minutes before the light is gonna turn off and I leave the fan blowing in there. Keep in mind that my ventilation is not yet in..so with that small closet door shut and the light left on all night it got upwards of 120degrees around the plants.

They were all totally shriveled and done

I think I will use attitude. And also...I agree with what you said about 24h vs 18/6...I can't see any reason not to go 24.

Thanks a lot for your time THG

The Hemp Goddess said:
Give us a little more story here. A timer failing should not have cooked your plants.

IMO, there are no advantages to vegging with 18/6 vegging light. Vegging with 18/6 is counterproductive to a "fast turnaround" and shorter more compact plants--it not only takes longer (you ultimately do not save any money since you have to veg longer) but encourages stretch and longer internodal spacing. Since most plants stretch when put into 12/12 you want them as short and compact as possible when going in.

Check out Attitude for seeds (click on the banner at the top of the page). I am not much into Indicas, so someone else will have to recommend a good short fast indica.

Something tells me you miiiiiight not be a huge fan of Autos. Am I right?

I think because of my closet size and interest in a quicker turnaround I might try one or two.

I'll probably learn the hard way that it's not worth it to grow the autos, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. On Thursday I'll be shopping for a few upgrades to my room and I'll know what genetics I decided on.

It was like I out my plants in a microwave when I opened the closet this morning :( totally cooked...bone dry. And HOTT.

You're right, not a fan of autos. You can't clone them and IMO, they just don't measure up quality or quantity wise. To me, the time it takes to veg a plant is worth the rewards. However, if you take clones from photoperiod plants you can have almost as fast a turnaround with them as with autos.

I agree that this is a good opportunity for you as you have learned some good information from this first shot. The first thing I would do is get some T5ho fixtures and a nice vortex fan for venting the grow space as that is as critical as light and water. You can veg with metal but I highly recommend that you veg either with all T5 or mix with T5 and metal, but not metal by itself as I have seen the plants stretch real bad with metal by itself while the T5 keeps them very short and bushy.

you will need to take a serious look at your current space and decide if that is as big as you want to be then look at setting up the fan to either exaust air into an attic space above or crawl space below, or mount it so that it goes through the door and out to a window. At the same time, you want to make sure that you can maintain good light discipline for the photo-period plants while in flower.

I personally like hydroponics for my setup but hydro requires a lot of "hands-on" maintainance where soil doesn't require as much "hands-on". I personally love having my hands in it all the time, but some folks don't care for that, and they prefer soil for that reason. I don't think one is better than the other, or produces any better, its really a matter of personal prefferance.

I like the "indi" hybrids which will mostly stay shorter than the Sativas but not always. They also seem to be more hardy and grow a little easier for new growers than the purer breeds. I am growing a nice plant right now that I have heard a lot of good things about and it is very short and stout. It is called Blue Mystic. Burmese Kush(aka BuKu) is another I am growing and it also stays fairly short and has one of the shorter flowering cycles. Both of these plants have had good feedback on them as far as taste and potency. If you decide to get femenized seeds, only buy them from the best breeders as the lesser known breeders are sometimes bad about having fems that end up "herming" :)

Hushpuppy said:
I agree that this is a good opportunity for you as you have learned some good information from this first shot. The first thing I would do is get some T5ho fixtures and a nice vortex fan for venting the grow space as that is as critical as light and water. You can veg with metal but I highly recommend that you veg either with all T5 or mix with T5 and metal, but not metal by itself as I have seen the plants stretch real bad with metal by itself while the T5 keeps them very short and bushy.

you will need to take a serious look at your current space and decide if that is as big as you want to be then look at setting up the fan to either exaust air into an attic space above or crawl space below, or mount it so that it goes through the door and out to a window. At the same time, you want to make sure that you can maintain good light discipline for the photo-period plants while in flower.

I personally like hydroponics for my setup but hydro requires a lot of "hands-on" maintainance where soil doesn't require as much "hands-on". I personally love having my hands in it all the time, but some folks don't care for that, and they prefer soil for that reason. I don't think one is better than the other, or produces any better, its really a matter of personal prefferance.

I like the "indi" hybrids which will mostly stay shorter than the Sativas but not always. They also seem to be more hardy and grow a little easier for new growers than the purer breeds. I am growing a nice plant right now that I have heard a lot of good things about and it is very short and stout. It is called Blue Mystic. Burmese Kush(aka BuKu) is another I am growing and it also stays fairly short and has one of the shorter flowering cycles. Both of these plants have had good feedback on them as far as taste and potency. If you decide to get femenized seeds, only buy them from the best breeders as the lesser known breeders are sometimes bad about having fems that end up "herming" :)

Thanks very much for the time you put into this response.

I will take your advice and add some T5 lighting to compliment the MH...I was wondering if I should do that anyway.

I definitely agree, and understand that ventilation is as important as lighting and water to the successful completion of a plant. As I have mentioned, I started this bag seed really out of impulse. My light arrived and I wanted to run a cycle through it. In hindsight, I would (in the future) wait until the room is complete and don't waste time on bag seed, rather invest that time in genetics that I believe in.

You mentioned space. I would MUCH rather have the space of about a 10x10 room...and be able to grow some nice Indica BUSHES...but thats not an option right now. I am restricted by this little closet unless I decide to expand into the room the closet is in. Not yet.

That being said... I'm gonna try my hand at a few Auto Fems...risky and not very connoisseur like I know. I have to do both work within my limitations, and successfully/ properly finish and cure my first indoor crop. I am also planning on ordering a few Indi hybrids to the mix. Would you send me to a good seed bank or two? I thought attitude was the way to go but have recently read oherwise.

Thanks again.

:bong2:

Attitude is the way to go....where have you read otherwise?

The Hemp Goddess said:
Attitude is the way to go....where have you read otherwise?

On some other site someone said they waited 8 weeks or something. Im sure it was a mistake and a simple follow up would have solved the problem.

I just ordered yesterday...will be up and running soon.

Thanks for all your help

The only reason I'd say you wouldn't want to do 24/7 is because of improper ventilation, just to bring the temperature down, but thats the only reason.

24/7 is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back