from pot to dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purekush83

Reaction score
when we first planted our seeds we didnt think they would sprout so we just planted alot in one big pot. now we have nineteen and are trying to figure out how we should move them into the woods. we have some styrafoam cups and were thinking of putting them in those with dirt and moving them out there but ya'll are alot better at this than i am so any suggestions?

purekush83 said:
when we first planted our seeds we didnt think they would sprout so we just planted alot in one big pot. now we have nineteen and are trying to figure out how we should move them into the woods. we have some styrafoam cups and were thinking of putting them in those with dirt and moving them out there but ya'll are alot better at this than i am so any suggestions?

I have never grown outdoors, but when I take my clones I put them in one container with dirt and when they root all the roots grow together so I know what you are looking at. Since these are seedlings and they all have roots already you want to go ahead and seperate them as soon as possible before the roots grow together. Once this happens you are going to end up tearing roots when you try to seperate them. When my clones root I put them in 2-liter soda bottles with the tops cut off or 16 ounce plastic cups (be sure to put holes in the bottom if you are not moving them outdoors right away). Just run your hand down the inside of the pot under the dirt and try to gently lift up the plants. Try to isolate them and lift them up one at a time from below, this will hopefully prevent any roots from breaking.
Good luck,

-SSF-

Depends on how large they are. if they're still small you can lift them out with a spoon and transplant into indivisual containers easily. If they are a few inches tall and/or have they're roots interwoven pulling them apart would more than likely kill them. The best course of action IME would be to pick/seperate them in bunches then trim out all but one to a bunch and transplant.

congrats and comisserations at the same time. cubby said it :yeahthat:

Latest posts

Back