G'day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty1053

Reaction score
Hello all. Thanks for allowing me to join the mob. I am a plant physiologist and I have experience and post grad quals in micropropagation (bending undifferentiated cells to your will ;-)). My research career has been with marine plants both algae and flowering plants but the principles are the same as for land plants. I am interested to find out if the cells responsible for the production of cannabinoids along with some chloroplasts could be cultured in nutrient medium exposed to light to produce a suspension of highly concentrated cannabinoid resin. It is theoretically possible but is it practical? The trick will be isolating the appropriate cells and keeping them functional. The actual culturing process is not at all difficult and hypothetically you would wind up with what is effectively 'kick arse' hash oil. 'Kick arse' is a technical term we botanists use. ;-)). You might, if your a contrarian like me, argue that you are not in fact cultivating a plant. Let the legals fight it out. Such fun. You could mimic all sorts of conditions like high altitude, intense UV but with relatively low white light levels. My understanding is that natural plants produce the resins to protect the seed from UV which makes sense when you consider the plants are native to Bhutan which is at high altitude. Anyway, food for thought and discussion? Go for your life. Feel free to argue that I am an idiot and I am wrong. That's how we get things done in science. Despite what family, friends, associates, teachers and colleagues of mine might say, I am a bit sensitive, so go easy. Nah go hard!

1643974581451.png

Hello all. Thanks for allowing me to join the mob. I am a plant physiologist and I have experience and post grad quals in micropropagation (bending undifferentiated cells to your will ;-)). My research career has been with marine plants both algae and flowering plants but the principles are the same as for land plants. I am interested to find out if the cells responsible for the production of cannabinoids along with some chloroplasts could be cultured in nutrient medium exposed to light to produce a suspension of highly concentrated cannabinoid resin. It is theoretically possible but is it practical? The trick will be isolating the appropriate cells and keeping them functional. The actual culturing process is not at all difficult and hypothetically you would wind up with what is effectively 'kick arse' hash oil. 'Kick arse' is a technical term we botanists use. ;-)). You might, if your a contrarian like me, argue that you are not in fact cultivating a plant. Let the legals fight it out. Such fun. You could mimic all sorts of conditions like high altitude, intense UV but with relatively low white light levels. My understanding is that natural plants produce the resins to protect the seed from UV which makes sense when you consider the plants are native to Bhutan which is at high altitude. Anyway, food for thought and discussion? Go for your life. Feel free to argue that I am an idiot and I am wrong. That's how we get things done in science. Despite what family, friends, associates, teachers and colleagues of mine might say, I am a bit sensitive, so go easy. Nah go hard!
Are you currently growing? Good luck isolating those cells. I like that suspension of highly concentrated cannabinoid resin thing tho. Never heard of a plant physiologist either. Welcome to the group Rusty1053

ok just looked it up. Sounds like an interesting field. Glad to see research being done in the cannabis plant 😊

Last edited:
Hello Rusty and welcome aboard.

Good luck with your research.

I can attest to the high altitude more trichomes effect as we grew the same plants at 10,000 ft as we did at 4200 ft

the higher elevation plants had about twice the visible resin production as the low altitude plants

our conclusion was the high elevation plants produced more resin to protect itself from the high UV’s

anyway , there is a lot of room in the cannabis world for research and development especially since a lot of restrictions are being lifted

Welcome aboard the Passion my friend.

Latest posts

Back