Generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
Hey I am thinking of going on a payment plan for a generator and was wondering if any of you growers use them.?
Can anybody tell me what a good size to run my house and water well, and grow room only has 1k light, 4 outlet air pump, fan, exhaust fan.
I thinking of a 7500 watt or 5000 watt..

Any info plz
Ty. Fly

How big is your well pump? Deep wells have larger pumps that can take a chunk of power to operate. Most submersible pumps are 220, so you would need a 220 outlet.

I have a 6500 generator and it will run my lights, TV, computer, fridge, and smaller household appliances. I would get the 7500 or maybe larger, depending on what wattage your well pump is. I am thinking that we had something in the 10,000 range when we had a pump, but it was deep and took a lot of juice. There are a lot of propane generators where I live. Diesel generators are great, also, however diesel prices are quite high now--can't figure out why. Here is another tidbit--get an electric start. Those pull starts can be tough on cold winter mornings.

How are you planning on getting the electricity from the generator to your house?

How big is your well pump? Deep wells have larger pumps that can take a chunk of power to operate. Most submersible pumps are 220, so you would need a 220 outlet.

I have a 6500 generator and it will run my lights, TV, computer, fridge, and smaller household appliances. I would get the 7500 or maybe larger, depending on what wattage your well pump is. I am thinking that we had something in the 10,000 range when we had a pump, but it was deep and took a lot of juice. There are a lot of propane generators where I live. Diesel generators are great, also, however diesel prices are quite high now--can't figure out why. Here is another tidbit--get an electric start. Those pull starts can be tough on cold winter mornings.

How are you planning on getting the electricity from the generator to your house?

I think the well down about 900 ft I believe, but I would have to check and yes it 220 pump, and yes I looking for 220 outlet on it.
Yes I am going to run everything 3 tv and refrig, freezer, computer, WiFi if poss.,DVD player,and the house light I can leave off and use lanterns, but my other problemsl is my hot water it electric and it 220, and I can turn that off as I have country woodstove for hot water. I can rough the bath stuff for a moment.

As for hook up to get power is to make up extension cord and hook it up to the circuit breakers wires on breaker box I believe is the best way.! What your in put.?

Gas or diesel.? That a tough one.! Diesel fuel is costly but built better ans gas cheaper, so I am going with gas.. Yes it going to be both electric start and pull start.

Get one with a Honda engine if possible or Yamaha.

Are u planning on running the generator all the time?

No just when the power goes out and this might be a bad year here in Arkansas this time. We lost power 2 yr ago for a week due to snow and I was lucky enough not to have any plants growing, so I want to make sure I am set up for this grow.

I am so tired in buying mexican cartel crap and supporting them.

Get one with a Honda engine if possible or Yamaha.

I know there the best, but beggars can't be choosey and my payment plan got to be cheap enough...

See if you can check the wattage or amperage on your pump. I doubt that your pump is 900' deep. A well that is 300' is considered a deep well. I cannot imagine the power it would take to pull water from 900' in the earth.

Mine is a Honda and it wasn't that much money.

I always shut off the water heater when the generator is running. Electric water heaters pull between 4500 and 5500 watts--that would take almost its own generator. We are fortunate enough to have huge amounts of geothermal water around here, so finding someone with geothermal domestic hot water is not too hard.

You cannot actually just hook up the generator wires to circuit breaker wires--you need some kind of outlet somewhere. Unless you have tons of money, hook up is going to have to be a manual thing--power goes out, you turn your main breaker off at the pole (this is critical as electricity doesn't care what direction it goes and having a generator running if the power comes back on and the main is not off can be disastrous). I also shut off all breakers for things I do not plan on using or things that pull too much amperage--water heater, dryer, stove--all 220 and high wattage appliances unless you are using one of the lines to backfeed.

Part of how you connect it to your house is kind of going to be determined by your circumstances. Where is your breaker box? Where do you intend on locating the generator? The wire for any extension cord you make is going to be quite spendy, so this will be a consideration.

get one of the natural gas gens that kick in when the power goes out, can probably convert it to propane if no gas lines are ran to your home

get one of the natural gas gens that kick in when the power goes out, can probably convert it to propane if no gas lines are ran to your home

LOL--of course, that would be ideal....except for the cost. I would absolutely love to have a nice big propane generator that kicked on automatically, except I don't have thousands to spend on something like that.

THG: They are very expensive at 8k-10k(unit), sometimes they are available for bid at commercial auctions....but certainly the top shelf for emergency situations, really depends how often you lose power.

...and on top of that 8-10K, you are going to have to have a fair chunk of electrical work done to your home's electrical system to accommodate the "kick over apparatus"--probably another 1000-2000 depending on where you live and where your electrical panel and the generator sit. I live in an area that loses power fairly regularly in the winter so I know a lot of people who have them. I do realize that it is "the ideal", but the horrendous cost of such a setup is prohibitive to many people.

Yes THG, electrical upgrades will be needed...depending on size/labor/location 12k-18k complete. My company installed quite a few of them for customers, parts are pricey also.

Latest posts

Back