Gently aged or fresh uncured weed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys! I have a question. Should I use older, cured and stored weed or fresh dried not yet cured for my canna butter? I've got lots of both. Also does older stored weed take less temp. or time in decarb. and if so do any of you fellas have any idea how to calculate the proper time and temp.

Sassy (and others) back to your original quote, I thought of this thread, your questions, as i was doing some internet reading and research this morning. I am providing a link to an article on Decarboxylation that shows 6 myths and facts. Oven, toaster ovens, hot water baths using crock pots (similar) just won't give you the precision you might be after. Ovens can loose up to 30 % of the potential THC (based on lab research, not my conjecture). Old or new bud can both be decarbed very well. Here's the link. Enjoy! https://ardentcannabis.com/decarboxylation-myths/

I can say that I have never believed any of the myths they listed....except that you can decarb with stuff in your kitchen. It is always a bit hard for me to swallow claims that a company makes when they are trying to sell you something relatively expensive (are there any independent studies that have the same results?). I can see where having something like the Nova would be nice and convenient, but I am not sure I am convinced of their claims and how can something like this be over $200? It is basically little more than an accurate, very small rice cooker. I really hate it when companies really overprice products because they are for cannabis--you can buy a good quality instant pot or bread maker for around $100 and they are far more complicated machines. Why in the @#$% are people so greedy?!?

...but I am not sure I am convinced of their claims
I was with you on that and I stumbled across a thread in grass city forums from a guy named Psychedelic Sam that said " Well, maybe not quite that important but the lab tests are in that Budford and I sent for the Ardent Nova decarb of both high-THC and high-CBD. will say this right now. Anyone who wants to purchase a Nova for their decarb peace of mind has my blessing. It has passed with flying colors. I still need to talk to Budford and edit them for posting but I just wanted to let you all know."

So apparently samples were sent off to an independent lab and have come back with good reports. I have saved the reports (downloaded) and could post them if you want.... or provide a direct link to them.... if you want/allowed.

That was my exact reaction, THG...

I decarbed about a kilo of trim in my oven and have some very potent edibles now...

Wow, @oldfogey8 Great!! 1 Kilo (1000 grams) seems like a lot to me. I only have a few grams at best for decarbing. Nice thing about the lift, is it will keep very precise control, and let you decarboxylate up to an ounce of flower or as little as you want... AND... doesn't smell. Smell, or lack thereof, is almost the selling point of the unit. Many cannot risk having any sorts of smells for fear of other knowing. A kilo at 20% THC would represent 200 grams potential. Now, if your oven decarboxylates with a 30% loss that would loose 60 grams or the 200 and end up with a final THC of 140 grams instead of 200. With a kilo you have plenty to go around and not worry about too much of a loss in the oven, but even at a loss of 60 grams, that would still represent a fair amount of change $$$ of loss of your product.

One thing about the Ardent lift, is it is more than a small modified toaster oven. It seems to be a rather complicated electronic heating tool. I found this info about a guy wishing to adjust the end temp of the Ardent Lift : https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?p=567236
Although, in the Grass City forums Psychedelic Sam, in his sent of samples for lab tests, seemed to have great success with high CBD strains.

Below is a lab report on the sample sent in for CBD, which looks to be very very good.
Black tie hemp Nova decarbed.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Redeye, Thanks for the shout out. I'd like to use up some of the older cured and stored weed but I'm trying to figure out a good temp-time for decarboxing. I know weed loses terps. as it ages, I just don't want to make it any worse by over cooking it......Sassy
I saw a video where they
Hi Guys! I have a question. Should I use older, cured and stored weed or fresh dried not yet cured for my canna butter? I've got lots of both. Also does older stored weed take less temp. or time in decarb. and if so do any of you fellas have any idea how to calculate the proper time and temp.
Use your new weed for decarbing. Old weed should be cured for smoking. I saw a video where they uses 1 oz sealed bags, put them in boiling water for an hour. They claim that benefited the THC, never tried it myself but sounded and looked logical.

I can say that I have never believed any of the myths they listed....except that you can decarb with stuff in your kitchen. It is always a bit hard for me to swallow claims that a company makes when they are trying to sell you something relatively expensive (are there any independent studies that have the same results?). I can see where having something like the Nova would be nice and convenient, but I am not sure I am convinced of their claims and how can something like this be over $200? It is basically little more than an accurate, very small rice cooker. I really hate it when companies really overprice products because they are for cannabis--you can buy a good quality instant pot or bread maker for around $100 and they are far more complicated machines. Why in the @#$% are people so greedy?!?
I hope you're not into motorcycles then!!

She is not on this site anymore Bro.

Great lady. She is always welcome here. She never got involved in the bullshit.

Latest posts

Back