germinating in rockwool cubes....

torchedlh

Reaction score
i'm just about to start my first hydro grow. i just received my 20 nirvana seeds (10 WW and 10 bg bud) and i planned to germinate in rockwool cubes (2" variety). i plan on diggint a small 1/4" deep hole and keeping them warm and wet. should i keep them under my lights? (400w mh and 400w hps). lastly, i will drop them into my 6" pots full of hydrton, but i dont know when to do that. lastly, i'll be using an ebb and flow system with gen hydr flora series, should i start using the nutes immediately? half strength? thanks

G

god of war

u know what, thats a good question. When i was grow lettucce i put the seeds in the rockwool cubes put in my germantion dome and put it uner the hot hawaiin sun. Well the Seeds were FRIED! I checked it one afternoon and it was easly over 90 degrees. I put new seeds and put it in the shade and it grew fine. So yea hope that helped.

As for the nuts put like a quater. So if its like 1 tsp for a gallon put 1/4 tsp.

StOnEd-On-NL

Reaction score
you dont have to have the seeds under any lights until you see the first signs of life pop out of the cube. If you put them into a propagator and keep them in a warm (but not hot) place, and keep them wet they should germinate quite quick. A good tip is to soak the rockwool in your solution and squeez about 10% of the water out. For nutrients you will want to make sure it is very weak like god of war said, and have the ph level about 5.5 - 5.8

torchedlh

Reaction score
what i ended doing was soaking the rockwool cubes in a water (ph adjusted to 4.5 via lemon) for a few hours. then i drained off the excess water and buried the seeds just below the surface.

KADE

Aero Lord
Reaction score
4.5 is way too low. GET IT UP TO 5.8-6.2!!

torchedlh

Reaction score
well what's done is done, the rockwool is still plenty moist so i haven't had to add any more water. i first planted the seeds 3 nights ago and 5 have already sprouted and are now under light. i think i will wait till they are a few inches tall before i move them into my the hydroton and start adding nutes.

Zarnon

Reaction score
Yeah dude, I would echo the ph is too low. I think Rapid Rooters pwn Rockwool.

torchedlh

Reaction score
ok well how to get the ph of the rockwool cubes up? they're still wet so i dont think i should add water....anyway, this morning i found 4 more sprouts, so all but 2 have sprouted and i put them about 1.5ft away from my 400w hps and 400w mh.

KADE

Aero Lord
Reaction score
rapid rooters is just a dirt compound with rooting hormone mixed in.. you could easily do the same if u have rockwool and the rite vitamins around.

Latest posts