Germinating seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youse guys can't keep track of the days for 48 hours? If you need to date your seeds you need a better method. Soak 'em in a glass of water for a few hours (up to 24) until they sink. After that into the dark in a damp paper towel. Seeds need to be above 70 degrees to reliably germinate. Scratching seeds to promote growth is a last resort and usually only done to old, unreliable seeds. Once the seeds are showing tails, plant 'em. Tails of about 1" are ideal, longer increases the risk of damaging that all important root. I plant root down and leave the seed exposed.
Yeah, I can count to 48....1 2 3 4 5 UH, 48...LOL.
I date everything. Even the days i water my girls. It's a good habit to follow.

Hey guys I really appreciate all this advice and time your taking to help me out! Putting them on a warmer place and drying the paper towels seems to helped a lot! Just checked them and several more are starting to show a tail and several are cracking! Guess these just took a little longer coupled with needing better conditions. Thank you so much again, anytime I have a question I run to this forum and get wonderful advice! You all are awesome.

Yeah, I can count to 48....1 2 3 4 5 UH, 48...LOL.
I date everything. Even the days i water my girls. It's a good habit to follow.

I have a little notepad I keep to track my watering and so on as well ha ha

Hey KG, this is fool proof and you know right away if the seed will sprout or not. I have been doing it this way for almost 20 years. I haven't done the paper towel method since the 70s. I never had any luck doing it that way. This is how I do it. Plastic water bottle cut in half, so you can see in it. Fill it half way with water, drop your seed in. If it floats it will sprout in 48 to 72 hours. If it sinks it will not sprout. Seed is no good. So you take that one out and drop another. Once the sprouted seed gets about 1 inch long put it in soil, only about 3/4 to 1 inch deep. That's it so easy. Like I said I never had any luck using paper towels. If I was you I would due it this way or straight into soil. Only 3/4 to 1 inch deep. Just like rose said. Try it you will like it. Also I have to ask you. I'm not put you down or anything. Why are you dropping so many seeds ? Why not drop one seed and keep it as a mother and take clones ? It is a lot cheaper........... Anyway good luck on your grow...................................

Oh I just saw you have AUTOs . sorry......................................................................................

I just soak them in a cup of water for hours until they do not float any more, at that point i figure water must have seeped in. I just put them in oasis cubes. I did not like coco plugs... Also I do this in the cloning box with the lights on where the temps are close to 80f.

Hey KG, this is fool proof and you know right away if the seed will sprout or not. I have been doing it this way for almost 20 years. I haven't done the paper towel method since the 70s. I never had any luck doing it that way. This is how I do it. Plastic water bottle cut in half, so you can see in it. Fill it half way with water, drop your seed in. If it floats it will sprout in 48 to 72 hours. If it sinks it will not sprout. Seed is no good. So you take that one out and drop another. Once the sprouted seed gets about 1 inch long put it in soil, only about 3/4 to 1 inch deep. That's it so easy. Like I said I never had any luck using paper towels. If I was you I would due it this way or straight into soil. Only 3/4 to 1 inch deep. Just like rose said. Try it you will like it. Also I have to ask you. I'm not put you down or anything. Why are you dropping so many seeds ? Why not drop one seed and keep it as a mother and take clones ? It is a lot cheaper........... Anyway good luck on your grow...................................

Hey man I’m putting some photos out to and that’s great info! I’ll try just like you said. Thank you so much for all that it’s very appreciated!

Well I found the way that works for me. An old guy I o ow told me to drop them in a cup of water and put a paper towel over it to hold seeds down. Then he said to put them in cups with soil and place in a place with indirect light. I then put clear plastic totes overtop of them to work as a dome. I have done 50 seeds like that and 49 have came up and are healthy!

Today is a good day to plant by the full moon. I put about ten seeds in dirt today on a heating pad in the bathroom with my big girls. Farmers almanac, moon planting. dude.
I transplanted some today and put them outside, does that count?

Bottom half of paper bag to keep folds, cut top off. Paper towel and zip lock bags minus the ZIP LoL. Soak the towel and then fold and place in bag one more squirt and then into the brown bag into a dark place...Works well for me

Latest posts

Back