Germinating stubborn seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stew

Reaction score
Fresh viable seeds are easy to germinate, and there are lots of good ways to do it. When you are dealing with old seeds, or fungal contamination, the napkin trick might not quite cut it. Check out this process that commercial growers use to increase their success with stubborn seeds.
https://www.elevatedbotanist.com/grow-basics/seedgermination

Well, for the first several decades of my hatching seeds between wet paper towels, there was no internet! It worked was why I did it, just as easy I guess to put in dirt, but I wanted to know which hatched and which didnt before going in dirt. Interesting article. I recently came into some seed collected in Afghanistan which noted they took extra long to germinate, up to two weeks, so interesting read. I guess some "wild" seeds are like that.

Bubba

I have taken seeds that refused to pop after soaking and PTowel Then placed them 1/2 into a good starter soil and forgot them. After a few weeks they popped

Well, for the first several decades of my hatching seeds between wet paper towels, there was no internet! It worked was why I did it, just as easy I guess to put in dirt, but I wanted to know which hatched and which didnt before going in dirt. Interesting article. I recently came into some seed collected in Afghanistan which noted they took extra long to germinate, up to two weeks, so interesting read. I guess some "wild" seeds are like that.

Bubba
Yes I have noticed that seeds will vary in their germination time based on the strain, and age of seeds. Autoflower seeds really benefit from cold stratification, probably due to the fact that Ruderalis evolved at high latitudes. I always store autos in the fridge for a few weeks before germinating. When seeds take two weeks to pop, it is important to make sure there are no fungal pathogens on the seed coat, or they will have lots of time to establish. Putting seeds directly into an organic soil also helps with mold suppression.

Happy New Year stew. Welcome Marijuana Passion. Are u growing? I've got a Lemon Auto growing now. Have a good evening.

I have taken seeds that refused to pop after soaking and PTowel Then placed them 1/2 into a good starter soil and forgot them. After a few weeks they popped
Must be a thing. I've gone and got used to feminized seeds, they start popping the next day....or two.

Bubba

Happy New Year stew. Welcome Marijuana Passion. Are u growing? I've got a Lemon Auto growing now. Have a good evening.
Hi ness2,
Happy New Year to you as well! I work as a commercial greenhouse grower. I am looking forward to setting up my home grow again when I move next month. I have worked in the cannabis industry for a long time, but I still learn something every day. Most commercial growers shit on autos, but I love them, and think they are the future for outdoor grows, especially here in Canada!

1641076909352.png

I built a bubble cloner out of a small 1 gal aquarium &aquarium pump and turned it into a form of germinator i cut a few holes in the lid of my aquarium took a 1inch netpots (I leave the netpots whole,did not cut off the bottom of the netpot)sat it in the lid, put in a peat puck sat my seed on the peat puck,placed a shot glass upside down on the net pot the made sure the water was at a proper height (in some cases I put in an aquarium heater to make sure it's at a good temperature 67-70 degrees)the bubbles keep the puck moist ,the heater keeps it warm. Because I have more then one hole in my germinator lid I block off the other ones with neoprene discs that fit the netpot to assure that nothing seeps out of the other pots during this process.....seeds normally pop 24hrs.

I built a bubble cloner out of a small 1 gal aquarium &aquarium pump and turned it into a form of germinator i cut a few holes in the lid of my aquarium took a 1inch netpots (I leave the netpots whole,did not cut off the bottom of the netpot)sat it in the lid, put in a peat puck sat my seed on the peat puck,placed a shot glass upside down on the net pot the made sure the water was at a proper height (in some cases I put in an aquarium heater to make sure it's at a good temperature 67-70 degrees)the bubbles keep the puck moist ,the heater keeps it warm. Because I have more then one hole in my germinator lid I block off the other ones with neoprene discs that fit the netpot to assure that nothing seeps out of the other pots during this process.....seeds normally pop 24hrs.
It sounds like you have a germination system that works well for you! If you ever struggle to germinate due to seed quality, you could scarify with H202 then follow your protocol, and it might increase your germination ratios. Thanks for your input!

How strong are you making your H2O2? I self imploded a little bit on my current grow trying to fix a small bit of root rot. One plant has recovered but the other 2 aren't doing too well. I am questioning if they need pitched or will they be ok to use for edibles?

How strong are you making your H2O2? I self imploded a little bit on my current grow trying to fix a small bit of root rot. One plant has recovered but the other 2 aren't doing too well. I am questioning if they need pitched or will they be ok to use for edibles?
.5% solution. Directions are in the article. Peace

Latest posts

Back