Germination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjrivers

Reaction score
Hi MP! Man it's been a while since I been on here. I'm still in med school and growing my babies. I had an issues with the last seeds I bought, none of them sprouted. I did the same as I've always done. Fold them on paper towel n water them. As soon as they cracked I put them in soil but they never sprouted out (it's been roughly 12days) . They are autos so I don't know of that's different but I was just wondering how you guys/gals germinated

I put mine right in the medium. I believe that it is best to handle seeds as little as possible to help prevent damage to the delicate root and also because you can pass pathogens to the seed. Fresh seeds should germinate just fine without needing to be presoaked.

With that being said, many many people germinate in paper towels like you did without incident. Germination problems generally happen because the seeds are kept too wet or too dry or the temp are too hot or too cold. Had they popped before you put them in the soil? What kind of soil did you plant them in? Did it have nutrients in it? Where did you get the seeds?

Got them from attitude. They cracked open but they must've stayed too wet. I have 12 more seeds so I'll throw those into soil this time. Oh I use roots organic soil

I don't love roots organic soil, it looks great on paper but i had issues with it, i hope you don't. Do you have any seed starter? I use it to clone and seed in. I do mine in that, lay the seed sideways and water and off ya go..I don't do paper towel or anything either, just the old hippy way THG and I do.

I did a test with my attitude seeds..

one each of og kush and white widow for each method

put two seeds in a shot glass of distilled water under the bathroom sink (in cabinet)
put two seeds in a wet napkin in a plastic baggy under the bathroom sink (in cabinet)
planted two seeds in a party cup w/ perlite at the bottom and coco on top (Hempystyle)

the two shot glass seeds sprouted first, like in a day I think. It was fast. I put them into a party cup w/ perlite at the bottom, cocoblahblah on top hempy style and they came up fast

next were the two in wet napkin a day or two later... one of the roots burrowed itself into the napkin and I had to perform surgery to get it separated.

the two that were directly put into perlite/coco sprouted a couple weeks later.

all turned out healthy but the ones that were in the shot glass grew fastest/largest

Alright I did straight into the soil for 7 seeds and 5 sprouted. 3 duds. Then I put 3 in a shot glass of water and all 3 sprouted. I have 10 total now so that's enough for me. That's for the input. Just gotta veg them out till next spring so they can go outside :smoke1:

This is happening more and more often as seeds banks shuffle their stocks, if a seed don't sell, it should be marked down, as seeds still dry out yes in a fridge or freezer, until you are up to speed and feel more confident stick to popular brands, as they are 'popular' they turn over quicker..hence fresher stock.
Later you may consider scarifying the seeds, tho I prefer to soak overnight in a glass of water with (YO) a teaspoon of bleach!!! ... then to the kitchen towel in the morning to sit someplace hot .....like my modem for 24 hours

good luck
"V"

Latest posts

Back