Getting ground ready and need some help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longtimegrower

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is a spot I grew two years ago with fair results. Its an old coal slag yard and its breaking down fair but it doesn't hold nitrogen well. Ill include some pics. Im planting on a couple mounds of the best dirt. Some places look like a rock road and nothing will grow. I m trying to see what you guys think might help this. I can t haul in dirt or organic matter. I can take what ever I can carry in a back pack. Any help or questions are welcome. The third pic is from another place and you can see the difference.
20200613_091405.jpg
20200613_094045.jpg
20200619_094915_2.jpg
20200613_091252.jpg

When we was kids they never wanted us back in the old coal mine yards and slag hills because of mercury and arsenic in the slag and waste that came out of them shafts. Now they hold dirt bike races at one about 50 miles away from me. Dust and mud everywhere and everybody covered in it and they think it is great. You should see the water runoff when it rains, all the colors in the rainbow are in the mess. I'm tempted to try a guerilla grow on one. They are several around me. The closest one, most all of them now have been grown over for more than 40 years plus. To bad you couldn't haul good soil in half a backpack at a time. Watch out for deer/trail cams. Had a bunch that got found because of them when I first moved back home 10 years back.

My best childhood friend's father used to dig a large hole ("ten dollar hole for a five dollar tree) and toss in three or four carp that he'd caught a day earlier, back filled the hole a little, and planted the tree. Those trees would jump in growth. Might be interesting to try that with weed.

My best childhood friend's father used to dig a large hole ("ten dollar hole for a five dollar tree) and toss in three or four carp that he'd caught a day earlier, back filled the hole a little, and planted the tree. Those trees would jump in growth. Might be interesting to try that with weed.
Didn’t the native Americans teach the pilgrims to grow corn like that?

racoons would dig them up

Didn’t the native Americans teach the pilgrims to grow corn like that?
Not sure. He was a full blooded Hungarian, so I'm not sure where he got the idea.
No coons ever dug up his trees, and the only one I ever saw that failed was the one the tornado took, and it was very well established. Probably a good eight to ten inches in diameter.

Latest posts

Back