Giant inflatable 'desert island' floats away...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandolay

Band!
Reaction score
A search is under way for a giant inflatable 'floating island' that went missing from a music festival.

'Is Land' was a £9,000 helium-filled sculpture of a desert island which floated above the heads of revellers at the Secret Garden Party festival recently.

However, the art project drifted off somewhere without anyone seeing it and may now be floating in the troposphere, the lowest portion of Earth's atmosphere.

Sarah Cockings and Laurence Symonds, Royal College of Art graduates, who created the seven-metre wide airborne islet have asked that any sightings be reported via the website (edit).
'Is Land' is made of durable polyurethane with foliage décor and was built over six months.

It was last seen at approximately 3am on Sunday 24 July hanging over a lake at the Cambridgeshire festival by security guards who witnessed two unidentified youths in a dinghy cutting all five of its tether ropes, releasing the island into the sky.

A statement on the 'Is Land' website reads: "Due to ignorant vandals, the original Is Land is currently floating at an unknown height somewhere within the atmosphere.
"However what goes up must come down, so the hunt is on. If what looks like a floating chunk of earth turns up in your Nan’s back garden, or if you think you see a new planet intercept your easyJet flight to the Algarve, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Using atmospheric data similar to that used by the United States' National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration the creators have predicted that the inflatable may be hovering over the Czech Republic but hope it is still in Britain somewhere.
A report on a UFO website a few days after the island's disappearance suggested it may have been seen over the Isle of Wight.
Local airports have been informed about Is Land but a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority said there had been no reported sightings of it.
Miss Cockings and Mr Symonds hope 'Is Land' will be found in time to appear at the Burning Man Festival in the Nevada desert, later this month.
However, they have started to build a second version, just in case the original is not returned, and have received a donation from the organisers of the Secret Garden Party.
A Facebook page has been set up to help spread the word and safely return 'Is Land' to its owners.

I think I seen it Art:confused2: or maybe I am just really really high;):bolt::bong:

:bolt::bong:

I think Hamster Lewis is trying to deliver a package to it:bolt::bong:

pcduck said:
:bolt::bong:

I think Hamster Lewis is trying to deliver a package to it:bolt::bong:

I tried but there was no one there to sign for it..... :holysheep: I left a delivery notice and will try again tomorrow.:D

ArtVandolay said:
Miss Cockings and Mr Symonds hope 'Is Land' will be found in time to appear at the Burning Man Festival in the Nevada desert, later this month.
However, they have started to build a second version, just in case the original is not returned, and have received a donation from the organisers of the Secret Garden Party.
A Facebook page has been set up to help spread the word and safely return 'Is Land' to its owners.

Somehow I'm thinking a burning man and a balloon are not going to mix very well.

Way to freak out Aliens. Now that would be funny.

BTW Art, we had a nice TIN FOIL HAT making contest at the camping event I attended last weekend, you'd have been proud, my friend!

:postpicsworthless:
Roddy said:
BTW Art, we had a nice TIN FOIL HAT making contest at the camping event I attended last weekend, you'd have been proud, my friend!

Oh Art, it was Area 51 and we were all drunk (well, most of us were LOL)! :p Besides, would be too incriminating! :D :D :rofl:

Roddy said:
Oh Art, it was Area 51 and we were all drunk (well, most of us were LOL)! :p Besides, would be too incriminating! :D :D :rofl:

Id post them just to be able to plead insanity any time busted.

Me: But Judge. Look, Im runnin round the desert drunk in a tin foil hat lookin for UFOs and craving Twinkies!

theres some good grass going around! lmfao and i think all ove you got some. w.t.* was i left out yet again,lol

Here's a :48: for you Ruffy, my friend!!!

LMAO Spearchucker!!!

Mine love a bit of bondage, followed by the "clothes hanger treatment" while being talked dirty to....things like "this worm castings is dirty, rub it all over your roots for me".
know thats funny roddy!! good stufff my friend!!!

Latest posts

Back