Give me your mother numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKlonedRanger

Reaction score
Not your mothers numbers.

For those that keep mothers, how many do you keep?

For this upcoming grow I'll need 5, and I couldn't gauge if that was a lot, not too many, or just right as compared to how many other growers keep.

I have 12 right now...spanning about 7 or 8 strains...a cpl duplicate moms as well....

Thats sort of along the lines of what I was thinking. Sort of a dirty dozen lineup.

5 strains, 15 moms. a copy of every mom in 3 locations. I trust 1 friend and my brother with my strains, they also know i seaech for the best so both arw happy to grow strains i set them up with...just in case i screw something up. ;)

i had a few more but i have been "weeding" them down. lol

I'm one of those that doesn't keep mothers. I take clones from my vegging plants and once I see roots I go ahead and put the vegging plants in flower. Since I always have vegging clones of every plant I am flowering I don't use moms. The rooted clones veg for around two months, clones are taken from them, and the cycle repeats.

-SSF-

I cloned from clones for years, my strains always got weak around clone 8-9 and eventually were "deleted" from my grow for bad yield.

OGKushman said:
I cloned from clones for years, my strains always got weak around clone 8-9 and eventually were "deleted" from my grow for bad yield.

Yeah I try and hold onto the moms till they get too funky then replace them with a clone of themselves and they become the new mom. My moms normally go 4-6 months before they get replaced.

I take clones from clones and have done it for years. I, personally, have never seen any degradation from doing this. The danger I have found is if you have some disaster befall the clones you may not be able to save the genetics. However, the same holds true for a mother.

I am re-thinking the whole mom thing. If clones are really genetic identical, why would they **** out after so many generations?
I only have one mom and trying one reveg. I think it is a pain to keep them, they take up some room, but haven't decided my own path to take yet.
I did what Sensi does and had a continuas harvest without a mom.
And how many strains does one need? I feel like I just need two of my fav. but i can't quit getting new genetics.
Thanks for listening.

2 Host Plants. Both the same P98BK strain. I only need 8 cuts every 45 days, so it's serious overkill. Having two Host Plants is just insurance for me in case one of them dies for some reason.

I usually take 12 cuts at a time, so I always have extra rooted clones to make into Host Plants if needed. No way am I losing the P98BK phenotype I have!

Who keeps moms? Before u flower take cuts, no point keeping moms, they take up space and add to plant count.

Clone from clone, wise up and get your rotation down.

Keep backup or extr cuts in the fridge, my entire genetic library is backed up in my crisper in the fridge.

JBonez said:
Who keeps moms? Before u flower take cuts, no point keeping moms, they take up space and add to plant count.

Clone from clone, wise up and get your rotation down.

Keep backup or extr cuts in the fridge, my entire genetic library is backed up in my crisper in the fridge.

I keep "Moms". I need 12 cuts every crop. I'm not taking 12 tops off my current crop just before flowering. I want those tops to be buds, not clones!

I have the space and one plant is just as bad as 20 in my state.

Isn't it cool how we can all have different ways to do things?

1-866-mom-date
oh not my "mom's" number :rofl:

It's random for me. Sometimes got up to 5-6 moms. others down to one or two.
depends. I got over 30 different hybrids. with several stable lines on top of that. I outcross a lot. So I'm always pheno hunting. Keeping a mom/cuts ensures no "OMG I love that pheno wish I didn't lose it"
I love me some hybrid vigor too that only outcrossing gives ya. LOL

SensiStarFan said:
I'm one of those that doesn't keep mothers. I take clones from my vegging plants and once I see roots I go ahead and put the vegging plants in flower. Since I always have vegging clones of every plant I am flowering I don't use moms. The rooted clones veg for around two months, clones are taken from them, and the cycle repeats.

-SSF-
Same here... i like the extra space... Granted, you get genetic drift if it's not dialed in just right, but you would with a single mother over time as well... Just a preference thing really, so long as the strain lives on:headbang:

StoneyBud said:
I keep "Moms". I need 12 cuts every crop. I'm not taking 12 tops off my current crop just before flowering. I want those tops to be buds, not clones!

I have the space and one plant is just as bad as 20 in my state.

Isn't it cool how we can all have different ways to do things?
I think it's great! Show's the master of human ingenuity, so many solutions to the same problem; now if we could apply these tactics to some of the other aspects of society i.e. politics etc. ... We'd be in good shape!:D No more politics though, forgot; sorry Hick:giggle:

Gixxerman420 said:
now if we could apply these tactics to some of the other aspects of society i.e. politics etc. ... We'd be in good shape!:D No more politics though, forgot; sorry Hick:giggle:

ever seen idiocracy? The world would be over run with dumba$$ cloning themselves for fun LOL

Am I cloning wrong? I take clones from the bottom of the plants.

and no it's considered good practice to take cuts from the bottom ;)

I keep moms every since I got on the T5 d!ck...too easy not to. I threw up a 2x4x5 tent and a 4 bulbs 4 foot HO T5 setup in it and bam. Run an inline fan for ventilation. I have a Cpl moms that I keep in solo cups. Quasi bonsai style...one looks like a lil candelabra.

Latest posts

Back