glass under 500watt hd light??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfsire

notthegreatestbuttsurecut
Reaction score
whaz up
does pane of glass stop heat coming down from the light and have it vented out the sides of the box would it work
or would that harm the plants???????
thanks

turfsire...if you DIY it, I advise getting a piece of "tempered" to resist the heat. I tried a plate of regular o' single pane glass and it shattered from the heat.

500 watt?..a 500 watt "what"?..
I've heard of hps/mh in 400 and 600 but never a 5oo...

Hey, One of the lights i have is an outdoor weather proof one which has a glass cover on it. It seems to help to some degree with cutting down the heat but only fractionly as the glass just heats up aswell. I apologize if this sounds patronizing at all but if you do put plain glass under your light, be very careful not to spray it with water as it will pretty much explode.

I special ordered a glass tube that's 1/2 inch thick. Glass disipates heat fast, but not fast enough if it's flat. Use a cool tube or specail order some tempered glass. Make sure there isn't any UV crap in it.

Eggman said:
I special ordered a glass tube that's 1/2 inch thick. Glass disipates heat fast, but not fast enough if it's flat. Use a cool tube or specail order some tempered glass. Make sure there isn't any UV crap in it.

...pyrex?...

I have seen DIY cool tubes on the net made out of something called a 'bake a round' and also using the 'ornamental glass lamp post' thingies too.

yea as along as u have a ventilation fan and have it air tight . if theres is no glass your temp would be much higher so if your using a box like i have u need a glass i was using my whole closet until i got caught by parents then had to get something smaller

Latest posts

Back