gmo Grows Deathstar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bow in your direction sir.. Like I already said, a book. Your techniques are well proven and I learn something every time I stop in .. I could probably sit and talk to you about plants for hours just in an attempt to pick your brain... "you mind if I record this conversation" LOL.

Keep sharing and teaching, I'm here to learn now as I realize I don't know crap .... again, bowing.

This may sound silly but, If I May Ask, What are your ambient temps in your tent? and do you keep them the same for every strain?
Thanks, everyone.

Lights on temp 77-81f. Lights off temp 69-73f. Depending on what I'm seeing I will sometimes work to drop the lights off temp at around week 8 of flower to the low-mid 60s to bring out some color.

Day 30
20230506_231315.jpg
20230506_231243.jpg

Did you do any posts on building that system? I'm very interested in how you put that together. Looks like it works really well.
Comb through gmo's grow journals, I've asked that too! He has it all, tent, a/c, the diy aeroponic, everything. Well worth copying!

Bubba

Did you do any posts on building that system? I'm very interested in how you put that together. Looks like it works really well.
It is loosely based on this system.
https://www.familyplotgarden.com/building-an-inexpensive-aeroponics-system.html
Some notable differences:
An aquarium chiller is (almost) a must have.
Less netpot sites
Lid needs to be sealed to prevent light from getting in to the reservoir
Minor modification of drainage tube

That's a good place to start researching on this build.

It is loosely based on this system.
https://www.familyplotgarden.com/building-an-inexpensive-aeroponics-system.html
Some notable differences:
An aquarium chiller is (almost) a must have.
Less netpot sites
Lid needs to be sealed to prevent light from getting in to the reservoir
Minor modification of drainage tube

That's a good place to start researching on this build.
Does the chiller fight the heat the pump transfers to the water, or just heat from inside tent, Power supplies and lights?

Seems like I heard of heat complaints from cloning setups the also used submersible pumps? Or is the pumps heat negligible?

I have the sprayer nozzles, the pump, pump net, the 27 gallon tube and the PVC. Need time to assemble. Apparently 4 plants is plenty for this set up in a 4x4.

I see your fc-e 8500 is a fraction of an inch larger than the fç-e 6500 in my 4x4. I mean it just BARELY fits! Where do you have your inline fan and smell filter? I had to change mine to outside the tent. Otherwise I would lose height.

With 2 of the sp-3000 lights, it was easy to put the 8 inch filter off to the side, so those lights could go up unrestricted. This new light goes from corner to corner, not even room for a down pipe if I wanted filter inside.

Bubba

Reactions: gmo
I’m at day 21 and obviously behind… what is the ppm of your treated water? I probably have less light too’ just a spider 1000 and ufo 80 supplement.
Hey there. Those are good questions!
I follow the General Hydroponics Flora Series feed chart. I don't measure PPM (well I do, but it's not what I focus on), instead I measure EC. At this point in the grow I'm keeping it between 3.2-3.8EC. At the stage your at, 3 weeks in, I would be aiming for 1.6-2.0EC. If you're seeing deficiencies it's easy to adjust up.
I run an FCE8000 in a 4x4 tent. That gives me 50w/sqft. A general rule of thumb -- try to keep it at a minimum of 35w/sqft with LEDs. Overshooting that is good if you have an LED that the intensity can be adjusted on.

It looks to me that you're probably in a 2x2? That would give you 25w/sqft off of the SF1000.

Can I make a suggestion based on what I see?
You really need to consider filling those netpots all the way to the top with hydroton. Any light getting in to your reservoir has the potential to cause algae to grow.

Does the chiller fight the heat the pump transfers to the water, or just heat from inside tent, Power supplies and lights?

Seems like I heard of heat complaints from cloning setups the also used submersible pumps? Or is the pumps heat negligible?

I have the sprayer nozzles, the pump, pump net, the 27 gallon tube and the PVC. Need time to assemble. Apparently 4 plants is plenty for this set up in a 4x4.

I see your fc-e 8500 is a fraction of an inch larger than the fç-e 6500 in my 4x4. I mean it just BARELY fits! Where do you have your inline fan and smell filter? I had to change mine to outside the tent. Otherwise I would lose height.

With 2 of the sp-3000 lights, it was easy to put the 8 inch filter off to the side, so those lights could go up unrestricted. This new light goes from corner to corner, not even room for a down pipe if I wanted filter inside.

Bubba
Hey Bub.
2 separate beasts to tackle with that first question:
The aquarium chiller is situated outside of the tent. There is a secondary, smaller, pump that pumps water out of the reservoir, through the chiller, and back in to the reservoir. The aquarium chiller does put off a bit of heat, but it's negligible since it's outside of the tent. Probably about as much as 2 tower PCs.
I do run an A/C unit piped straight in to this tent, and that air conditioned air is filtered out of the tent through a 6" fan/filter in to my "lung room". Pumping cold air straight in to the tent gives me the ability to really control the temperature in that environment. The lung room, by effect, is also cooled down which in turn keeps the other 2 tents and my cut rack happy. The air conditioner JUST got turned on this morning for the first time since October 2022. In the winter months I'm able to manipulate my 'on' time to run during the cooler hours (nights) and the 'off' time to run during the warmer hours (days). The temperature stays where I want it. The exception to that is during the last few weeks of flower, if I want to bring out some color I will manipulate the day/night temperatures lower than what I'd get without using the air conditioner.

The submersible pumps do put out a bit of heat. The chiller lets me not even give it a second thought. The model I have (JBJ Aquatica 1/15HP) can keep the 27g reservoir within a 1/2 degree F of where I set it consistently. I have found that 66f is my happy reservoir temperature.

I've experimented with different numbers of plants in this setup. 4 is perfect (for me). The limitation of this system is that the plants need to be all one strain, or have similar growing/feeding traits. You can't feed individual plants, you're feeding the reservoir as a whole. Keep that in mind!

You're correct, the FCE8000 BARELY fits in the 4x4 tent. It's stake-stake full. It wasn't troublesome to fit, but it was close! I run a 6" AC Infinity Fan and Filter and they are at the very top of the interior of the tent. If I were gonna run anything Sativa dominant I would consider moving the fan/filter to outside the tent. Otherwise, I have the perfect amount of space in a tent with an 80" height.

I think that covers everything. If I missed anything, or you'd like me to elaborate, please just say the word.

G

PPM is measured on either a 500 or 700 scale. EC is not.
ppm.jpg

Correct, but on the conversion chart which ppm would 3.2 convert to?
Here from left to right is 3.2 ec and the ppm is 500, 640, and 700 scale.
1600 ppm is a far stretch from 2240.
Maybe I should switch my ppm/ec meter to ec. I see more people using ec.
Ppm has just been my go to forever.

Reactions: gmo
View attachment 327738
Correct, but on the conversion chart which ppm would 3.2 convert to?
Here from left to right is 3.2 ec and the ppm is 500, 640, and 700 scale.
1600 ppm is a far stretch from 2240.
Maybe I should switch my ppm/ec meter to ec. I see more people using ec.
Ppm has just been my go to forever.
Ahh, I see what you're asking.

I measure using an Apera Instruments EC60. It measures TDS (500 scale).

Latest posts

Back