Go On Board With a Homemade Rocket That Blasts Past 100,000 Feet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandolay

Band!
Reaction score
Some rocketeers have a Homer Hickam bug, wanting to push the limits of how high their rockets will go. And, when there is $10,000 on the line to make it soar past 100,000 feet, the incentive is that much greater.
According to Popular Sciencehttp://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-10/video-homemade-rocket-covers-121000-feet-92-seconds, John Carmack, founder of Armadillo Aerospace, launched a challenge to rocketeers that he would give a $5,000 reward to anyone who put their rocket up 100,000 feet or higher, recorded the altitude through GPS and recovered the rocket when it reached the ground. An additional $5,000 was donated from several people, adding up to a $10,00 grand total.
Late last month, Derek Deville believes he surpassed that height with Qu8k. Watch for yourself as the far-from-amateur-style rocket explodes upward in a cloud of dust in Nevada’s Black Rock Desert.

Unfortunately for this launch, the GPS system was unable to take a reading from its highest altitude, although the team did recover the rocket three miles from the site. Popular Science reports it believes Carmack’s challenge will be fulfilled soon. Since August, four groups have taken the challenge.
Qu8k is 167.5 inches long and weighs 320 pounds with a thrust of 4,000 pounds for eight seconds.
Deville's website reports a 121,000 maximum height on the rocket.

Watch the video:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvDqoxMUroA

According to my HP12c, 121,000 feet is 22.9 miles :hubba: Some peeps have really nice toys :hubba:

Well Art, thanks a lot. I couldn't hear it so I turned it up real loud and I had our puppy on my lap and then the rocket lifted off and Kali wet her pants or I should say my pants. Other then that how was the play mrs Lincoln?

It was beautiful. Mr rb will enjoy it a lot. so thanks i guess.

Rosebud said:
Well Art, thanks a lot. I couldn't hear it so I turned it up real loud and I had our puppy on my lap and then the rocket lifted off and Kali wet her pants or I should say my pants. Other then that how was the play mrs Lincoln?

:rofl: I did the same thing :hubba:

Rosebud said:
You wet your pants?
:rofl: You said your dog wet your pants :rofl: My dog is too big to sit in my lap. He needs a bath, too :hubba:

Rosebud said:

Now that's just too darn funny Rose!

I see you're up to your old tricks again Art. I think we can beat that. I got some gunpowder and a fuse. Got any matches :hubba:

BBFan said:
I think we can beat that. I got some gunpowder and a fuse. Got any matches

:rofl: This sounds like a "hold my beer and watch this" moment coming up, BB :rofl:

Nah. But can I borrow your lighter? I think my gas tanks empty.

Latest posts

Back