Going from HID to LED lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I normally use a 400 w MH during veg in a 1m x1m tent and then use a 600 w HPS during flower. I tend to run 24/0 for veg and then go to 12/12 for flower.

What would be an equivalent light amount if I were to switch to LEDs?

Would it be better to separate them into two units rather than one so that they can be placed around the canopy more effectively?

I know nothing about LED lighting and was wondering if investing in them would pay for itself in reduced electric bills quickly.

for sure Joe,I was old school untill I saw the light....you will be happy,less heat and lower elec bill.....and you can still grow the great dank......good luck

Why not check out an Rapid led kit? Not too hard to assemble, and good value along with depending on spectrum, may be able to use for both veg and bloom.

I use these https://solstrip.com/en/ lights. Each strip is 50 watts, easy to assemble on an aluminum frame and you can spread them out and/or make them as dense as you require. Mine is an open frame to allow heat to escape but these produce very little heat anyway. They are available in several kelvin shades, I’m using 3500k but recently added som 2700k for flowering. That’s one of the things I like about these strips, you can make them to fit your space and even add more or re-arrange them to fit. There are passive heatsinks on th back of each strip and I use the meanwell drivers...My setup was about $240 here but I’ve since added 4 of the 2700k strips. My grow space is just over 4 sq ft...

07EDE910-987D-47D6-B19C-E2B32D19D2F5.jpeg

I switched over to VIPARSPECTRA 600s for the last 2 grows. I like em. I would use 2 in a 4x4

Thanks, everyone. Those thin strips that you can place in a broad frame seem like a better way to spread the light around the canopy.
How well do the leds penetrate down?

Thanks, everyone. Those thin strips that you can place in a broad frame seem like a better way to spread the light around the canopy.
How well do the leds penetrate down?
Because they don’t put out much heat, you can use them down around 6” above the canopy...they do penetrate pretty well and you can keep adding to your system as long as your driver has the current. I run mine in parallel at 24volts...one of my drivers puts out around 2oo watts and I now have another for the 2700k strips that is 150watt...

My friend is growing under 1000W HPS and one MarsII1600 to make a comparison, I will keep an eye on it and share the picture with you

Latest posts

Back