Going to set up first grow...Help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcane

Just Wanta Grow!
Reaction score
O.K. I only have an area to use that is 3' x 5' x 9' ceiling . thinking of doing walls with sheet insulation with shiny back? How much light would i need? can one go from start to finish with t5s? Have lots of learning to do here...

White paint is your better choice for reflection. T5's are great for vegging. I don't personally know how they do in flower. Some other folks will be around to help you out.

First of all, maybe we should take a look at what your budget is for this project--this will help us advise you on the best way to go to stay within your budget. You say only 3 x 5, but a 15 sq ft space is a decent sized space and it will take some money to outfit it right.

FLAT white paint is great as it is cheap, washable, and is a great reflector of light--better than semi-gloss or glossy. I really see no reason to go to the expense of the insulation panels unless you are in an unheated space in the winter, like a garage or shed. You generally have more things to buy than you have money for anyway.

You can use T5s for flowering, but it is going to take a whole lot of them. Lighting requirements are generally figured as lumens per sq ft of space. For vegging you want a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft and for flowering a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft. Keep in mind these are minimums and most of us run quite a bit more for flowering. Something to keep in mind is your electrical usage. Because T5s emit less lumens per watt than HPS lighting, it is going to take about 50% more watts if you are using T5s. This mean that every single month you are going to be paying 50% more for electricity than if you are using a larger HPS--T5s emit 92 lumens per watt, a 600W HPS 150 lumens per watt. In addition, HPS is going to give you more yield as the light simply works better. Your lighting is directly tied to your yield. IMO, scrimping on light is one of the biggest mistakes you can make when setting up a grow space. Not only does inadequate light produce way less, the bud will be airier and less dense. So to get 5000 lumens per sq ft you would need 75,000 lumens minimum or 15 4' T5ho tubes using 810 watts....or you can run a 600W that puts out 90,000 lumens. That is 15,000 more lumens but 210 less watts...something to keep in mind whn paying your electricity bills.

More things to think about: ventilation You will need a 6" centrifuge type exhaust fan to deal with heat and bring in fresh air. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on.

Type of medium and nutrients. Are you going to go soil, soilless medium or hydro? Are you going to use organic or synthetic nutrients (you must do one or the other as synthetic nutrients and organics do not work together).

Genetics: I encourage you to peruse the seed banks and find something that sounds good to you and that is fairly easy to grow. Decide what type of high you like and look for something that appeals to you. There are inherent problems with using seeds you find in a bag of weed. There are advantages to growing known genetics. I would advise photoperiod plants if you are serious about this, rather than autos.

I also encourage you to read as much as you can. We have a sticky in the
beginner section with some good basic (but older) books on growing. Some of our ideas have changed since then as we understand more about the biology of cannabis. The more you know, the better your chances of having a successful grow. This is a hobby that does have a learning curve. Some people pick it up quicker than others, but cannabis has quite specific needs and wantsa and you will learn with experience to "listen to your plants" and learn what they need to thrive, but that is something comes with experience. So no time like the present to start gaining that knowledge that will help you grow that dank bud you want. Just like home grown veggies, there is nothing like growing your own cannabis. It can get addictive though...

THG,
It blows me away, all the time and effort you put into posts like the above... saying the same info you have probably typed out 100's of times before when it would be so simple to take the easy way out and say: "Read the stickys" you type it out again and again.

you are a Canna-saint!

mrcane, you have the best info and (most of) the best people ANYWHERE here to help you, I sincerely hope you heed all the advice and become the best grower you can be.

:48:

Thank you for the advice .I see that this will be quite the project getting set up. My budget?? I want to get it right and keep the power usage down best I can. I was thinking the insulation because it is a corner of a garage that I will build in. The garage lows are in the mid 40s..

By the way I will be growing with soil and organic. I am a medical user and just want to grow my own.

Good choice mrcane.

And Joe, THG amazes me all the time. Her knowledge and memory are huge. ANd she has many other talents as well as growing pot. The woman can do anything and smoke a joint at the same time. We had a good time together a summer ago and smoked each other out! I had met my match.

Thank you for the advice .I see that this will be quite the project getting set up. My budget?? I want to get it right and keep the power usage down best I can. I was thinking the insulation because it is a corner of a garage that I will build in. The garage lows are in the mid 40s..

sounds like LED 2 me!
it also sounds like you have the right frame-of-mind:

Don't do it on the cheap.
Do it as inexpensively as possible but never sacrifice doing it RIGHT!

If you are in a garage space that gets down into the 40s, the insulation is a good idea. You will probably still have to add heat during lights out. You may have to add it during lights on if you run LEDs.

I do not believe that you actually save on wattage with LEDs. I was told that would need about the same "working wattage" with LEDs that I need with HPS. Looking at a 700W for 7 or so sq ft (working wattage about 350) or a 400W HPS. For a garage grow in the winter, I would be looking at HID--you are going to need the heat.

T5s will not save you any money either--they will actually cost more to run as their lumen output per watt is substantially less. I really would run a 1000W or 2 600W in that space. A 1000W will cost quite a bit less than 2 600w. While technically a 600W will give you 5000 lumens per sq ft, most of us run more light than that. I run a single 1000W in a space about 3 x 6. I bought a 2' 12 tube T5 (30,000 lumens) to use in a space that is 5 sq ft.

I see your side.

We come @ this from opposite sides THG, I've never run HPS and (I believe) you have never run LED.

mrcane, (winter?) low temps are in the "mid 40's" ---> how about your summer highs?? (if the garage isn't heated, I doubt it's cooled)
lets see if there are issues on the hot side that might point us (you) in one direction or the other.

also, I would be interested to know the level of Stealth you are thinking of.
as "a medical user and just want to grow my own" the legal issue is a non factor but that's not necessarily the only reason you (may) want stealth.
:48:

WOW lots of info: As far as the stealth, I plan to Sheetrock the corner in,with Reg. prehung door like a regular closet.vent into attic space if needed. We live in the great N.W. and feel pretty good about the whole project. Summer temps in garage might hit 70s. How about yields that you get from HID verses LED? any good sites to look at lights? I have power installed in corner 4 ea.110v outlets and a 220v outlet. first thing lumber list!:vap-Bong_smoker: well thanks to all, see you around!!

I would vent directly outdoors. Don't need no mold in the attic.

AH! something else to figure out, only outside wall, vent would exhaust by sidewalk.

If it was me, I would then run a vent through the roof. Could use a whirling vent cover, would help with extraction.

I personally would not run the vent through the roof--Hate to penetrate roofs if you do not absolutely have to as it can be hard to get flashing tight and leak-proof after the fact (I am a plumber and we run drainage vents through roofs). I would either run it out an end wall in the attic or through the wall and disguise it as a dryer vent.

No, I have not grown with LEDs, but I am looking at them, have read a lot about them, and have had several "conversations" with PJ to determine what I would need for my spaces. I have been growing for decades and have upgraded equipment as I could and technology caught up with the cannabis industry. Like most that have been growing since the 80s, I started used fluoro tubes--that was what we had. While LEDs have some real advantages, if you need the heat or if you are on a budget, IMO, you are better off with a HPS. I just can't justify buying $700 worth of lights right now--property taxes and Christmas. And like I said, I need the heat in the winter and do not have that much trouble keeping it cool in the summer even though we have temps over 100. You will need an exhaust fan regardless of what light source you choose as ventilation is not just for heat control. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis.

Yield should be about the same from either light source.

The number of outlets you have is kind of immaterial--what is the amperage of the breaker they are coming from and what else is running off the same breaker? If you have any kind of larger grow set up, you are probably going to want a dedicated circuit. I ran a dedicated 20 amp breaker to my flowering room. The 220 circuits (hopefully) have nothing else taken off the line. Was the 220 already there or did you run it?

T.H.G. I am also not an advocate of going thru the roof, will look at making the run across garage and out gable end.As far as the power outlets go I Had installed all have there own breaker 110v 20amp. 220v 2@30amp I see that lights will take some more research. But I am leaning towards HPS.. Next thing is getting some walls up. Thanks:joint:

Making sure that your electrical will handle the load is extremely smart. I am a big believer in dedicated circuits for grow spaces. I also recommend a GFI on your first outlet to help protect you--all areas that are exposed to moisture should be protected with a GFI. I would run rigid ducting if you are running for a length of space. Any dipsy doodles will affect air flow.

I did put GFIs on the 110v outlets. What size Exhaust vent will I need, will standard 4" dryer vent pipe work. also if we have an exhaust we must have an intake ???

I'd go with a 6" fan and your intake can be passive from the garage.

So if we go passive from the garage I should put vents in bottom of walls???

Latest posts

Back