Good conditions for drying room ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragamuffin

Reaction score
So the last batch of weed I dried and cured still had a hay smell to it even after 4/5 weeks of curing which makes me think it was the drying process that caused this . I dried it by hanging the stems but I used the same room as my tent and lights and think maybe it was too hot or dry , this is what it’s saying in the other room I’m going to try for my last plant of the year , I really want this to smell and taste nice as I never enjoyed smoking the last stuff at all . It took about 5-7 days last time before i thought it was dry enough to go in , it was going in the jar at 65% humidity which rose to 70 overnight but with burping went down to 62 after a few days and stayed that way the whole time so I thought I was doing well

Attachments

• 00EF73DC-BAD2-4FAE-AC09-021887036816.jpeg
    00EF73DC-BAD2-4FAE-AC09-021887036816.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
So the last batch of weed I dried and cured still had a hay smell to it even after 4/5 weeks of curing which makes me think it was the drying process that caused this . I dried it by hanging the stems but I used the same room as my tent and lights and think maybe it was too hot or dry , this is what it’s saying in the other room I’m going to try for my last plant of the year , I really want this to smell and taste nice as I never enjoyed smoking the last stuff at all . It took about 5-7 days last time before i thought it was dry enough to go in , it was going in the jar at 65% humidity which rose to 70 overnight but with burping went down to 62 after a few days and stayed that way the whole time so I thought I was doing well
It sounds like you did things right I shoot for 7-10 days at 60F and 60% RH but usually only make it to 7 days (I went over once and the weed dried out a bit more than I wanted when I relied on the snap of the branch) Did your weed have a good smell right before you dried it? Did you do a wet trim before hanging or rack drying? My weed is not as strong smelling after curing as it is when I first start the dry but I can defiantly smell and taste it and it doesn’t taste like hay. Good luck with your current harvest.

I do hang dry for 5 days napprox and into large brown paper grocey sacks with torn up newspapers with tops rolled sealed to keep air flow out. The paper slow the drying process down and of course I have a humidity meter in the bag at 62% I jar.
Seems to have helped me get that point where the flavor is best.

I do hang dry for 5 days napprox and into large brown paper grocey sacks with torn up newspapers with tops rolled sealed to keep air flow out. The paper slow the drying process down and of course I have a humidity meter in the bag at 62% I jar.
Seems to have helped me get that point where the flavor is best.
You wrap your buds in newspaper then hang in a bag for drying?

You wrap your buds in newspaper then hang in a bag for drying?
I take the buds on 8inch stems or broken down to buds
Then rip up stips of news paper in 1-2 in strips place some on bottom then a layer of bud then paper then bud until I can just close bag up
The extra paper helps with moisture absorption. Also a good way to dry if in a very dry climate
It slows the dry down and keeps it even .
Works for me , have not had a hay smell in yrs.

Maybe I’ll try that. I usually dry in my spare bathroom shower on a rack. I can usually get in the 60s temp and 60% RH sometimes with a humidifier depending the time of year. I’ve had no hay smell but would like to get a bit more taste that I think a couple extra days of drying would help but so far my dry is done 6-7 days which I would rather see at 10 but so far have not been able to wait that long. You close the brown paper bag tite with no air?

Maybe I’ll try that. I usually dry in my spare bathroom shower on a rack. I can usually get in the 60s temp and 60% RH sometimes with a humidifier depending the time of year. I’ve had no hay smell but would like to get a bit more taste that I think a couple extra days of drying would help but so far my dry is done 6-7 days which I would rather see at 10 but so far have not been able to wait that long. You close the brown paper bag tite with no air?
I just roll the tops down yes closed
If the bud still is drying to fast I bag up the buds (several bags ) and then place them in a sealable garbage can with lid
Place a Humidity meter in the can on top of bags and watch it until it hits the sweet spot 60-62% and I jar them
It slows the dry down so they stay spongy (squeeze and bounces back)

No,,I give mine a close haircut a week before I harvest. I only leave the colas and sugar leaves. Everything else is on the ground. That way the buds gett plenty sun with no leaves blocking the sunlight.
Basically I trim them while they are still growing.

Latest posts

Back