Google Granted Patent for Driverless Car Technology

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Roddy

Google’s driverless car is one step closer to parking itself in your driveway.
The tech behemoth has been awarded a U.S. patent for a key feature of the technology that will allow a vehicle to transition from human to autonomous control, the BBC reports.

The procedure involved uses sensors on the car to identify a “landing strip” identified by a sign or other type of marker, such as a QR code painted on the surface of the road, which marks the beginning of a predetermined self-driving zone. The car would then confirm its location via GPS and proceed autonomously by tracking its exact location through a combination of map data and visual landmarks.

Read: Google Unveils Driverless Car Tech

While Google has already tested a vehicle capable of self-driving on the open road, the idea behind the patent is to create a safe way for the car to operate itself within regulated areas or without any people on board for backup control. This would allow a “driver” to leave the car at the entrance to a garage, where it would park and retrieve itself, or for the vehicle to take passengers on a self-guided tour of a specific location.

A prototype based on a Toyota Prius uses a roof-mounted, rotating lidar to monitor its surroundings, which is accurate to less than an inch. Google says it has completed a 1,000 mile challenge, covering that distance over a complex route without any human intervention.

Google co-founder Sergey Brin told the Web 2.0 summit in October that "a thousand miles is a good deal. But we do need to get on to doing a million miles. We're getting there -- I'm optimistic."

The company has not yet said when it expects the technology to go into production.

Read more: hxxp://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/12/16/google-granted-patent-for-driverless-car-technology/#ixzz1gj71g5hi

I dont even like getting in the car with my wife driving so im certainly not gonna let google drive.

LOL, not at first, at least....better refine things and prove it first!

A prototype based on a Toyota Prius uses a roof-mounted, rotating lidar to monitor its surroundings, which is accurate to less than an inch. Google says it has completed a 1,000 mile challenge, covering that distance over a complex route without any human intervention.

Sounds pretty promising though, accurate to less than an inch...NICE!

COMPUTER
MALFUNCTION

Hal-9000.jpg

I don't get it - where would a driverless car want to go? Pick up female cars at the junkyard?

Now it'll be even easier for john q fed/law to shut/track you down...:rolleyes: One step closer to Borg assimilation....lol

What if the cars brakes failed like all toyotas seem to do
Lol
T4

I'm sure there'll be failsafes added to protect people both inside and out of the cars.

Haha...load em up and send em back east! Send em by the thousands!

7greeneyes said:
Now it'll be even easier for john q fed/law to shut/track you down...:rolleyes: One step closer to Borg assimilation....lol

I believe they're already ahead of you....that ins commercial with Flo sporting that tracking device and touting it as the next big thing in the world....scary!

I'ld end up with the only car that drinks.

:confused2:Would they give the car a DUI if you used E85 fuel in it?

225px-Bender_promo_2.jpg

Latest posts

Back