gravel and pvc in soil pots for more o2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

707NewGenGrower

Reaction score
i know people put sand or gravel in bottom of beds with pvc in them to increase the o2 the roots receive. i was wondering if anyone has tried this method in indvidual pots (3 and 5 gal pots).
thanks!

I think in outdoor beds it's primaraly for drainage. It would increas the oxy level by keeping the soil from becoming stagnant. I don't see it being usefull in pots because of the limited moisture available and watering will keep the cycle going.

Judging by the root balls from my plants, there's little room in a pot for much more than good quality soil and the plant....

Roddy said:
Judging by the root balls from my plants, there's little room in a pot for much more than good quality soil and the plant....

:yeahthat:

You can actually add hydrogen peroxide to your watering jug about 4 caps per litre of water to bring the oxygen level up in your soil. and yes gravel and stuff is just for drainage which also helps for oxygenating the plants because the more it drains the more you water with oxygen enriched water.

also hydrogen peroxide can keep your soil cleaned out from the non-benificial bacteria. If you experience any algae or mold in the soil it helps greatly.

do a search on "Earth grow boxes" and you will see a old style planter that has a water res in the bottom that has air space also they work great for growing MJ too

I think it is important to have some kind of drainage layer at the bottom of your pots. I have never used PVC, but have different kinds of things I use for a drainage layer in all my container gardens that I have.

Dewayne said:
also hydrogen peroxide can keep your soil cleaned out from the non-benificial bacteria. If you experience any algae or mold in the soil it helps greatly.

It will also wipe out your beneficial bacteria as well.:doh:

Not so hot for any organic use.

Wet

Yep sure will, but if you have more bad bacteria that's growing you need to do something, most the time i use peroxide on my soil before i grow with it, then i start giving it molasses to get the beneficial bacteria back up.

Great sterilization method though.

I can relate to that because I put lime as a fertilizer in my mix of supper soil. So lime stone would add nutrition to your plant This year, I cut up some straw and place it on top of my plant and it's looks so much healthier. I think it's because it retains the moisture much better then without.

i read an article years ago maybe in high times that described somas growing method in witch he built 3x3 grow beds on wheels with pvc pipe in the corners for air flow and 6 inches of crushed stone on the bottom root cloth on top of that and then 14 inches or so of soil. he claimed that the roots love the o2 i have tried it in a 3x3 bed with great results and am currently trying it with a couple plants in 3 gallon pots.

I always put something in the bottom couple inches of my potted plants to aid in drainage and aeration. I use whatever's handy, pea grvel, lava rocks, broken up terra cotta pots (always have plenty of those), pretty much anything that will prevent compaction and increase drainage.

Call the mythbusters!!!!!!!! Gravel at the bottom of a pot is another gardening myth that just won't die!

Adding gravel to the bottom of pots does nothing but take up room in your pot that should be used for soil!

You want to improve the drainage of your soil add organic matter or perlite.

Following the wet/dry cycle is probably the best way to get air to your roots, provided you have a good medium.

For those who doubt, and I know there are many- try this- put a sponge on top of a pile of dirt and one on top of a pile of gravel and see which one drains faster. :D

BBFan said:
Call the mythbusters!!!!!!!! Gravel at the bottom of a pot is another gardening myth that just won't die!

Adding gravel to the bottom of pots does nothing but take up room in your pot that should be used for soil!

Following the wet/dry cycle is probably the best way to get air to your roots, provided you have a good medium.

For those who doubt, and I know there are many- try this- put a sponge on top of a pile of dirt and one on top of a pile of gravel and see which one drains faster. :D
:yeahthat: :goodposting:

I agree, but with this myth, it seems it's something that has to be busted by experience on the growers part.

Wet

BBFan said:

you don't put the stone in your beds to improve drainage and you don't lose much space at all since the roots grow right into the crushed stone witch creates a nice semi-dry area high in o2 that the roots appear to love. and as far as your sponge theory that would only test absorption not drainage,the test should be fill a pot with soil and one with crushed stone and then pour a glass of water in each and measure the time from when the water enters the pot and leaves it. i think it's obvious witch would drain faster witch again is not why you would put the stone in anyway

proto said:
you don't put the stone in your beds to improve drainage and you don't lose much space at all since the roots grow right into the crushed stone witch creates a nice semi-dry area high in o2 that the roots appear to love. and as far as your sponge theory that would only test absorption not drainage,the test should be fill a pot with soil and one with crushed stone and then pour a glass of water in each and measure the time from when the water enters the pot and leaves it. i think it's obvious witch would drain faster witch again is not why you would put the stone in anyway

But your not growing in a bucket of stones are you? The point of the sponge test- which would (for this experiment) act as your medium- the result is that they will both drain at the same rate.

But like I said proto- most won't believe me (or a few dozen studies by universities either). To each his own. I used to believe it too. But emptying the pots at the end of the run showed me otherwise.

If it works for you, then keep doing it! :)

Proto-
Having re-read your original post I must apologize to you. Sorry. I was referring more to the posts regarding the drainage benefits, but I now realize that's not what you were discussing.

So I get the set-up. The soil can't pass through the fabric barrier, but the roots can. So I see how this would keep the roots from "circling" the pot making for a more effective root system; but as they hit and penetrate the fabric liner, don't they "air-prune" ? I mean, is it really adding more O2 to the roots? Do they really grow into the gravel?

I'm trying my first run using air pots. Do you think the method you mention is more effective?

Again- sorry I didn't get your post the first time around.

Latest posts

Back