grayman has germinated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
day007.JPG

Day 7. My little girl is showing her first fan leaves! One of the cotyledon tips is yellow and curled up. I'm guessing it may have gotten stuck in the seed casing, which might explain it taking 4 days to surface? I'm currently planning on waiting a few more days to water. The surface of the soil is already drying out a bit, but looks like it's plenty moist where the seedling is. I'm still running around 76-77F with the lights on 23 hrs/day at 14" above the pot. I've also tied a piece of twine to the light so I can move it a few inches throughout the day and encourage some movement so as to strengthen the stalk and get more of the plant's surface area exposed to the light. Any reflections on this are appreciated!

grayman

View attachment 307280
Day 7. My little girl is showing her first fan leaves! One of the cotyledon tips is yellow and curled up. I'm guessing it may have gotten stuck in the seed casing, which might explain it taking 4 days to surface? I'm currently planning on waiting a few more days to water. The surface of the soil is already drying out a bit, but looks like it's plenty moist where the seedling is. I'm still running around 76-77F with the lights on 23 hrs/day at 14" above the pot. I've also tied a piece of twine to the light so I can move it a few inches throughout the day and encourage some movement so as to strengthen the stalk and get more of the plant's surface area exposed to the light. Any reflections on this are appreciated!

grayman
If you don’t already have a fan lightly blowing on the seedling, consider getting one. The air movement will strengthen the stalk and air movement is key to preventing mold.

If you don’t already have a fan lightly blowing on the seedling, consider getting one. The air movement will strengthen the stalk and air movement is key to preventing mold.
Yessir. I've had a fan blowing along the ground past the pot since she surfaced. Ever hear about anyone moving the light to strengthen the stalk?

Yessir. I've had a fan blowing along the ground past the pot since she surfaced. Ever hear about anyone moving the light to strengthen the stalk?
Not to necessarily to strengthen the stalk but there are ‘light movers’ that mimic the suns movement. Maybe that is why people use them. Silica is supposed to strengthen cell walls and make stronger stems.
From dinafem dot org.

How can plants benefit from silica intake?​

Stronger cell walls​

Silica reinforces the plant cells from the inside out, strengthening the cell walls that help the plant build thicker stems to be able to bear the weight of the buds. The thicker cell walls produce bigger stems and branches that can absorb and transport water and nutrients more efficiently, resulting in faster and more extensive growth.

View attachment 307280

grayman

jk jk jk

day008-1.jpg
day008-2.jpg

Day 8. That one cotyledon tip is still yellow and curled up, but those fan leaves are now twice as big as they are. Still holding off on watering or nutrients for now. Waiting for the soil to dry a bit more. Any theories out there for why a cotyledon stays yellow and curled up?

View attachment 307335 View attachment 307336
Day 8. That one cotyledon tip is still yellow and curled up, but those fan leaves are now twice as big as they are. Still holding off on watering or nutrients for now. Waiting for the soil to dry a bit more. Any theories out there for why a cotyledon stays yellow and curled up?
Nothing to worry about. It won’t green up. As the energy in them gets used up they turn yellow and fall off eventually. Could be the seed husk damaged it as you said. Looks like a healthy seedling to me.

Nothing to worry about. It won’t green up. As the energy in them gets used up they turn yellow and fall off eventually. Could be the seed husk damaged it as you said. Looks like a healthy seedling to me.
Good to hear, oldfogey8. From what I've read it sounds like the best thing I can do is wait for the soil to dry out and for the leaves to tell me that the plant is ready for water with slightly droopy leaves.

Good to hear, oldfogey8. From what I've read it sounds like the best thing I can do is wait for the soil to dry out and for the leaves to tell me that the plant is ready for water with slightly droopy leaves.
You don’t want a seedling to ever get droopy(or any plant for that matter). Just give water sparingly a couple of inches away from the stem during the seedling stage to encourage roots to seek the water out. It is a plant. It has evolved to grow in varying conditions. I water seedlings when the top soil feels dry. Young plants I water when the soil about a knuckle deep feels dry. Mature plants I water by weight(you get a feel for it) and the knuckle test. I know it is tempting to hover over plants(I am ‘helicoptering’ the heck out of some ****** plants I have going - it happens) but it will grow without constant monitoring.

You don’t want a seedling to ever get droopy(or any plant for that matter). Just give water sparingly a couple of inches away from the stem during the seedling stage to encourage roots to seek the water out. It is a plant. It has evolved to grow in varying conditions. I water seedlings when the top soil feels dry. Young plants I water when the soil about a knuckle deep feels dry. Mature plants I water by weight(you get a feel for it) and the knuckle test. I know it is tempting to hover over plants(I am ‘helicoptering’ the heck out of some ****** plants I have going - it happens) but it will grow without constant monitoring.
W-eirdo is censored?

day009.jpg

Day 9. Yes, I'm using this thread as my grow journal. Still just letting her hang out w/o water or nutes yet. It's about 66%RH and 73F in the grow room now. The top of the soil is drying nicely. A few spots of bark or coconut husk that looks like it's got a little white fuzzy mold that seem to disappear when dry. My wife said that happens in plants all over the house. Hopefully nothing to worry about.

White fuzzy mold is probably just mycelium fungus which is a beneficial microbe. I wouldn’t be concerned at this point unless you have a severe reaction to mold spores. Letting the surface get drier should help.

That's why I like growing hydro indoors. Can't overwater 'em 'cause they're always in water. :)

Latest posts

Back