grayman has germinated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayman

Reaction score
Hello! My name is grayman. A several decade THC connoisseur, and a (for-real-this-time) first-time indoor grower. This amazing plant has drastically changed my health and my life. If there was a god, this is how they would show us love. Here's some specs:
  • 3 gal pot
  • organic, well draining soil
  • local water around 7.5 pH (dechlorinated by exposing to UV)
  • no nutrients/suppliments to-date (only bottled unchlorinated drinking water)
  • 2-days to germinate using plate method
  • 4-days to sprout above soil
  • RH at 55-60% (I'm guessing using our basement dehumidifier meter; buying better meters)
  • temp hovering between 78-75F
  • LED 600W Grow Light Full Spectrum LED Grow Light hanging about 14" above sprout
  • watered with 20 ml water only on day 5
Here's a few photos of my sweet little girl. She's a feminized photoperiod Gelato 45 from Premium Seed Market that I selected because they said it was a good beginner plant (and it was a hybrid). I know I'm UBER excited to watch her grow big and strong, but I also want to make sure I'm headed right.

day001.jpg
day004.jpg
day005.jpg
day005temp.jpg

(From left to right: day 1, day 4, day 5, and day 5 showing temperature)

There's a little yellow on the tip of one of the seed-leafs. From what I know it's either 1) nothing to worry about, just give it time, 2) overwatered, so wait for the soil to dry more before watering again, 3) under/over-lighted, so move lights to accomidate, or 4) undernurished, so either adjust the water pH to 6-7 and/or give it a little nurtients (FoxFarm Liquid Nutrient Soil Formula Big Bloom at 1/4 to full strength). Please let me know if you have any experience/input for me.

Thanks!

grayman

Seedlings don’t need to be fed at all. Yellowing leaf tips are indicative of what is referred to as nute burn. The cotyledon has stored nutrients that sustain the seedling for a couple of weeks.

It is better to start seedlings in smaller pots then ‘up-pot’ them when they get bigger(the rule of thumb is when the leaves grow past the edge of the pot they are in). It is easier to control moisture in smaller pots. Don’t transplant them now. Just keep that in mind for next time.

You look like you are off to a good start. I’d get a couple of gnat sticky traps just in case you get some gnats from the organic soil. And watch for stretch on this new seedlings Adjusting your lights as necessary. Also that a big pot now for that tiny plant so watching the water and water around the seedling instead of right on top of it to encourage root growth. 1/4 nutes sound good but you don’t need much the first couple weeks as the seed will provide for it and you don’t want to burn it up. Good luck with your grow and ask any questions along the way. There are a lot of experienced growers here to help you. Looking forward to watching your first grow and am UBER excited for you too 😊

You look like you are off to a good start. I’d get a couple of gnat sticky traps just in case you get some gnats from the organic soil. And watch for stretch on this new seedlings Adjusting your lights as necessary. Also that a big pot now for that tiny plant so watching the water and water around the seedling instead of right on top of it to encourage root growth. 1/4 nutes sound good but you don’t need much the first couple weeks as the seed will provide for it and you don’t want to burn it up. Good luck with your grow and ask any questions along the way. There are a lot of experienced growers here to help you. Looking forward to watching your first grow and am UBER excited for you too 😊
Thank you, SubmarineGirl! Love your handle. I'm looking fwd to participating in this community. I'm growing on the DL here, so I don't yet know how to connect with my local growing community. She's so beautiful and fragile right now!

Thank you, SubmarineGirl! Love your handle. I'm looking fwd to participating in this community. I'm growing on the DL here, so I don't yet know how to connect with my local growing community. She's so beautiful and fragile right now!
Over watering is one of the biggest mistakes in a first grow. We watch them way to close and think they need our help more than they do sometimes. With those big pots you have to be extra careful. I usually start mine in small containers then up pot three times before they land in their final pots. I find the plants like the transplant and they get a big growth boost after each transplant. Plus it give me the opportunity to look at the roots and make any adjustments to them that may be needed. But that doesn’t mean that your plant won’t be successful. Just watch the water. And you are right she is a beautiful plant so far. 😊

It is better to start seedlings in smaller pots then ‘up-pot’ them when they get bigger(the rule of thumb is when the leaves grow past the edge of the pot they are in). It is easier to control moisture in smaller pots. Don’t transplant them now. Just keep that in mind for next time.
Thanks for your input, oldfogey8 (your avatar doesn't look an integer over oldfogey1). Yes, I've seen that recommendation in my research. For my first couple attempts, I'm intentionally trying to follow a sort-of "base-line" growing approach that requires minimal maintainence. Somewhere I can move from if I want to increase yeilds and quality. Transplanting is something I'm trying to avoid for time and cleanliness. Considering that many simply plant directly in the soil outside without transplating, I figure there's a method I can use without transplanting that should work well for me. I guess I'll soon find out! Sounds like my growing medium and watering method may have to be adjusted to accomidate this approach.

Over watering is one of the biggest mistakes in a first grow. We watch them way to close and think they need our help more than they do sometimes. With those big pots you have to be extra careful. I usually start mine in small containers then up pot three times before they land in their final pots. I find the plants like the transplant and they get a big growth boost after each transplant. Plus it give me the opportunity to look at the roots and make any adjustments to them that may be needed. But that doesn’t mean that your plant won’t be successful. Just watch the water. And you are right she is a beautiful plant so far. 😊
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Over watering is one of the biggest mistakes in a first grow.
Yes, I def feel like I'm chomping on the bit to do something to help her. I need to exercise patience.
I find the plants like the transplant and they get a big growth boost after each transplant.
Good to hear. Def encouraging to try that on future grows.
Plus it give me the opportunity to look at the roots and make any adjustments to them that may be needed.
That makes me wonder if transplanting helps with oxygenation. I could see that, since you're exposing them to air in the process. Know other simple ways to increase oxygen to roots w/o transplanting? Oxygenized water? Holes in your soil?

Thanks for your input, oldfogey8 (your avatar doesn't look an integer over oldfogey1). Yes, I've seen that recommendation in my research. For my first couple attempts, I'm intentionally trying to follow a sort-of "base-line" growing approach that requires minimal maintainence. Somewhere I can move from if I want to increase yeilds and quality. Transplanting is something I'm trying to avoid for time and cleanliness. Considering that many simply plant directly in the soil outside without transplating, I figure there's a method I can use without transplanting that should work well for me. I guess I'll soon find out! Sounds like my growing medium and watering method may have to be adjusted to accomidate this approach.
The smaller containers can be as simple as Solo ‘beer cups’. When I started, I used them and went straight into 3 gallon pots from there so it works. Starting in 3 gallon pots will as well but you will lose the benefit of the nutrients in the 2+ gallons of soil by starting in those as some of the nutes will be flushed out unused. Next iteration you can try that though. As subby said, you get a rapid increase in growth by up-potting because of all the goodies in the fresh soil(depending on the content of the soil). Being an engineer, you will get a kick out of the intricacies of growing. I was a field service eng for years and love troubleshooting the issues I encounter(though I would like it better if I had no issues at all-just like when I was an FSE)…

day006.JPG

Day 6. I also poked some pen-sized and -deep holes a few inches away from the seedling all around it in order to assist evaporation and oxygenation of soil. Will wait a couple two-three days before watering. Let her get bigger. Going out of town to celebrate my anniversary with my ragging hot bride of two decades, so keeping my hands all over her will keep my hands off my little girl (damn, that sounds creepy). I'm so grateful to have consciousness today and be able to partake in the mystery of life. I love you guys for sharing this journey with me.

grayman

Welcome to the Passion! Remember; Marijuana isn't an addictive drug. Growing marijuana is.😁
Thanks, Hippie420. I can def see that! I've gotten so much health and life from this plant, I could def see myself worshipping it through growing/tending it.

Latest posts

Back