grayman has germinated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
day030.JPG

Day 30. I gave her a big drink of 1.2 L water today. First time the water went all the way to the bottom plate. Everything on the bottom got soaked/evaporated up within a couple hours. I also topped her! Fingers crossed that she recovers fast.

She looks better already. I think you should water her that way every time. Feel the pot to see how heavy it is and when the pot is light again, do the same thing. She will grow better now with regular water and maybe those weird leaves will start to change on your new growth. Good luck.
Thanks, SubmarineGirl. I hope so. I'm really hoping that those fruit fly looking bugs don't hurt her before I get some FoxFarm spray too. I've felt the pot weight and can def tell when it's drier. I also saw some nice and thick, white roots an inch below the soil in one of the aeration holes I made. It got covered up after I watered so much.

If you can tell the difference between what a cannabis plant looks like when it's thirsty vs drowning, could you please help me understand what to look for? I've been so concerned about overwatering since so many have said that it's a common beginner's mistake that I may have been running her dry this whole time?

day031.JPG

Day 31. I topped her yesterday. I think it would've been safer to wait for that node to grow a little taller, but I was so antsy (a charater trait I'm wrestling with) to have her stop putting life into that part and start growing others.

day030-topped.JPG

The topping I did above the 5th node. It darken like that within 10 mins, I'm assuming that's just natural oxidation. Otherwise it could be from carbon left on the snippers after I sterilized them? WTFKNM. I also noticed I had slightly scraped one of the side branches in two places (seen in image above on the far branch). Fingers crossed...

View attachment 309214
Day 31. I topped her yesterday. I think it would've been safer to wait for that node to grow a little taller, but I was so antsy (a charater trait I'm wrestling with) to have her stop putting life into that part and start growing others.

View attachment 309215
The topping I did above the 5th node. It darken like that within 10 mins, I'm assuming that's just natural oxidation. Otherwise it could be from carbon left on the snippers after I sterilized them? WTFKNM. I also noticed I had slightly scraped one of the side branches in two places (seen in image above on the far branch). Fingers crossed...
The topping looks fine. I suggest that you don’t fret as much as you are. It is a weed. Everyone encounters problems and most of us have more weed than we can shake a stick at. You are meticulous. Keep that trait. Keep notes on what works and what doesn’t. At this point in the plants life, you will have to work hard to kill it. Time to sit back and watch it vegetate. Keep an eye out for bugs and discoloration of leaves. A good reference for you is the growweedeasy website(I use it as confirmation of my diagnoses more now than diagnosing but I still get stumped on some issues, most of us do). The Plant Problems link there will give you a good amount of help. Doesn’t hurt though to verify by asking members here if they have seen the issues you will undoubtedly encounter. This is a fun hobby and we all worried excessively over our first couple of grows but it gets easier(unless you are growing mutants like the Freakshow a few here are growing-it is challenging). Just chill and watch the grass grow for now.

day032.JPG

Day 32. Fed her 600 ml with 1.5 ml FF Grow Big (6-4-4). Some water did come through to the bottom.

Thanks, SubmarineGirl. I hope so. I'm really hoping that those fruit fly looking bugs don't hurt her before I get some FoxFarm spray too. I've felt the pot weight and can def tell when it's drier. I also saw some nice and thick, white roots an inch below the soil in one of the aeration holes I made. It got covered up after I watered so much.

If you can tell the difference between what a cannabis plant looks like when it's thirsty vs drowning, could you please help me understand what to look for? I've been so concerned about overwatering since so many have said that it's a common beginner's mistake that I may have been running her dry this whole time?

You will see your plant respond to that water sequence of the letting the pot dry out between watering. You will get to know quick by the feel of the pot if she needs water. The plants seem to do better with a big drink then letting them dry out a bit. Pick up your pots after watering and then the next day and the next. You will feel when they are light and need water. Yes many folks make the big mistake of over watering but now that you know this you can control it. Don’t fret to much about your plant either. You give her good conditions and she will grow like crazy. Your topping job looks good and you should see the inner node growth pick up. If your plant is in a tent I would just get some sticky traps for the gnats out some at the soil level and hang one up a bit higher. May be the soil you chose that caused this but the traps should trap a lot of them and they don’t do much harm under control. I don’t think you need spray at this point is what I’m saying. Good luck with your grow and I think we are gonna see a bit more growth out of your plant now 😊

day033.JPG

Day 33. Added 4 fly magnets and they're working great. Only a few inches away from the leaves now and will move them as she grows. Already caught around 50 fruit flies. No feeding today, still pretty wet looking and weighty pot. I'm excited to see the little shoots growing that are coming out of the crotch of the node I just topped. Lots of little new growth all over the place. It's amazing how much life is happening every single day she grows.

Your topping job looks good and you should see the inner node growth pick up.
Thanks. That's encouraging to hear. Yes, I'm already seeing those two inner node growths getting bigger.
I don’t think you need spray at this point is what I’m saying. Good luck with your grow and I think we are gonna see a bit more growth out of your plant now 😊
Yeah, after reading @oldfogey8 's post telling me to chill and that it's just a weed, I took a breath and decided against spending the $30 on the spray.

Thanks, friends.

grayman

day034-1.JPG

Day 34. Most of the flies are gone already. Soil is still pretty wet and pot is weighty, so I'll wait to feed. I did some yoga on her with pipe cleaners and am happy with the increase in light to all the new growth that was crowding the center of the plant. Kinda looking forward to pruning some of that undergrowth, but I'll wait on that too.

day034-2.JPG

day034-3.JPG

Might be the lighting or my monitor, but she looks a little nitrogen hungry. Have you checked the PH of the water run off? It'll lock out your plant's ability to utilize nitrogen among other things. Other than that, she looks pretty healthy.
If I come back as a marijuana plant after I die, I wanna be yours.

day035-1.JPG

Day 35. A little more stretching to keep the main stalk topping exposed to the light. Lots of new growth. The pot is lighter, but I think I'll wait for it to get lighter still and a bit drier on top of the soil. Flies are almost completely gone. Below are a couple pics of how the canopy is looking.

day035-3.JPG
day035-2.JPG

Might be the lighting or my monitor, but she looks a little nitrogen hungry. Have you checked the PH of the water run off?
I currently do not have anything (I know of) that will check the PH accurately. Just some litmus strips that are telling me I'm likely between 6-7 on my water. I haven't checked the water run off. I'll have to look that up.
It'll lock out your plant's ability to utilize nitrogen among other things. Other than that, she looks pretty healthy.
If I come back as a marijuana plant after I die, I wanna be yours.
Wow. What a compliment. I'm honored, Hippie420. As my marijuana plant, I vow love you ferociously, water you sufficiently, feed you richly, and light up your bushy blossoming canopy like the glowing transfiguration of Christ. Amen.

What are you feeding the plant?
I've been alternative water/nutes. My last watering was the most by far (1.2L) and I saw runoff for the first time. 2 days later I fed her 600 ml with 1.5 ml FF Grow Big (6-4-4). I saw runoff with that too. Prior to that I used some FF supplements a couple times at a 1/4 of the strength. This post is coming in handy for me to be able to look back and answer questions I didn't know to ask.

I've been alternative water/nutes. My last watering was the most by far (1.2L) and I saw runoff for the first time. 2 days later I fed her 600 ml with 1.5 ml FF Grow Big (6-4-4). I saw runoff with that too. Prior to that I used some FF supplements a couple times at a 1/4 of the strength. This post is coming in handy for me to be able to look back and answer questions I didn't know to ask.
I looked at the info on Grow Big. You fed at the low end of their recommendation so where the plant looks a bit hungry, you could up the concentration(you fed at 10 ml/gal so you could try 15 ml/gallon). It looks like it is coming along well.

I use my grow journals as a record for my review as well. It comes in handy since I am absent minded lately.

I looked at the info on Grow Big. You fed at the low end of their recommendation so where the plant looks a bit hungry, you could up the concentration(you fed at 10 ml/gal so you could try 15 ml/gallon).
Good f@cking eyes, oldfogey8. Yes, in my abundance of caution to not over water/nute, I've been skating on the side of low. Good to hear your encouragement to put the pedal down a bit. I'll def give her a good feeding at 15 ml/gal the next time around. Do you think it's a smart move to feed with nutes next time even though I did last time?

Latest posts

Back