grayman has germinated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would feed next watering then go back to every other time. What I read on the Fox Farm site said you can go as high as 20 ml/gal. An extra feeding isn’t going to hurt when you see deficiencies.

day036-1.JPG

Day 36. Fed her 1 L @ 15 ml/gal FF Grow Big. Continue to maintain the pipe cleaners to stretch out those branches and keep light reaching those 2 new top stalks. I circled some branch ends below. I'm wondering if people top those too to split a branch in 2? I'm not interested in doing this on her, just curious.
day036-2.jpg

Next day...
day037-1.JPG

Day 37. I don't think you can see it in the photo cause the colors aren't accurate, but I think her leaves are def getting darker green. I think that means my nitrogen levels may be better suited for her. I wonder if she's still a little yellow by the next watering if I should do another Grow Big feeding? The picture below shows how nicely those 2 new top stalks are coming in and how well lit I'm keeping them.
day037-2.JPG

View attachment 309635
Day 36. Fed her 1 L @ 15 ml/gal FF Grow Big. Continue to maintain the pipe cleaners to stretch out those branches and keep light reaching those 2 new top stalks. I circled some branch ends below. I'm wondering if people top those too to split a branch in 2? I'm not interested in doing this on her, just curious.
View attachment 309636

Next day...
View attachment 309637
Day 37. I don't think you can see it in the photo cause the colors aren't accurate, but I think her leaves are def getting darker green. I think that means my nitrogen levels may be better suited for her. I wonder if she's still a little yellow by the next watering if I should do another Grow Big feeding? The picture below shows how nicely those 2 new top stalks are coming in and how well lit I'm keeping them.
View attachment 309638
I would feed every other watering at the 15 ml/gal as FF recommends. If in a week to 10 days they still look hungry, I would ramp up to the 20 ml/gal they recommend for heavy feeding. I would do that once and then go back to 15 ml/gallon. Over feeding is worse than under feeding. If you see the leaf tips getting slight browning, you are getting ‘nute burn’ and that tells you to back off a touch. Some people shoot for a little nute burn(I think hydro growers especially) to let them know they have given the plants as much as they can consume.

And do you have any cal mag to feed them? A bottle is cheap(around $15/ liter) and should last you a good amount of time. I use General Organics Cal Mg+ but any of them are good to have.

And do you have any cal mag to feed them? A bottle is cheap(around $15/ liter) and should last you a good amount of time. I use General Organics Cal Mg+ but any of them are good to have.
Stop. Google time.

If you want to get off cheap, head to any store and buy a box of Epsom's salts. It's all I ever use in hydro. You'd have to do some research to see just how much to use in your application whereas the calmag will tell ya on the label.

If you want to get off cheap, head to any store and buy a box of Epsom's salts. It's all I ever use in hydro. You'd have to do some research to see just how much to use in your application whereas the calmag will tell ya on the label.
I use epsom salt as well. Sprayed my tomato plants with it and they were happier within a day. I did a tablespoon per gallon for the foliar feed but have done the same dose for soil drench as well. I don’t think epsom salt has calcium in it but I could be wrong.

I use epsom salt as well. Sprayed my tomato plants with it and they were happier within a day. I did a tablespoon per gallon for the foliar feed but have done the same dose for soil drench as well. I don’t think epsom salt has calcium in it but I could be wrong.
I sprung for a bottle of Bloom City Professional Grade Ultra Pure Cal-Mag Growing Fertilizer. I like the ingenious-old-farmer-aesthetic of epsom salt, but the extra micronutrients and a label won the day for me. I'll plan on including in her next feeding. Might try a foliar feeding too. Thanks, @oldfogey8 !

day038.JPG

Day 38. I gave her 1000 ml water with 15 ml FF Big Bloom plus another 600 ml water in the plate to get sucked up into the soil from the bottom (which did within 15-30 mins). I did this around 10:30 pm. Topped for the second time (now 4 top colas) and continued the LST to pull the branches low and flat and spaced out. Also pruned the bottom to open it up and remove non-essential and light-blocking/sucking leaves. Knuckles growing strong. Working on building a strong base to support a hefty yield.

day039-1.JPG

Day 39.

day039-2.JPG

Day 39. LST and pruning underneath.

I am blessed/cursed with a lot of natural calcium in my well water, so I never worry about it. Showerheads get a bimonthly dip in CLR or they plug up.

day040.JPG

Day 40. I was busy yesterday and placed some AL foil on the wall and floor with some mounting tape. Just a cheap experiment to try to improve how much light is bouncing back to the plant. Room seems brighter for sure. My Bloom City Cal-Mag came in (thanks to @oldfogey8 for the heads-up), so I mixed up 600 ml with 0.5 ml of the micronutes (about 3 ml per gal, which is in the middle of recommended 2-4 ml per gal). After all the LST, topping, pinching and pruning, I'm gonna let her recover for a few days before I mess around any more. She looks healthy but tired to me.

As you can see, I'm also starting 2 more seeds of the same feminized photoperiod Gelato 45 strain. I'm loving tending to and forming this plant so much that I want to care for more plants. Plus, I realized that growing only one plant at a time won't keep up with my consumption, and I'd prefer to never need to buy flower again. My plan is to tend to all 3 together under the one light, and then move the 2 seedlings/plants into the adjacent cabinet where I'll place a second LED grow light and attempt to block any light coming out so as to not mess up my big plant in the flower stage. I think I might try getting away with one 600W LED lamp for prepping/vegging 2 plants in a cabinet and flowering 2 plants with the other lamp.

View attachment 309873
Day 40. I was busy yesterday and placed some AL foil on the wall and floor with some mounting tape. Just a cheap experiment to try to improve how much light is bouncing back to the plant. Room seems brighter for sure. My Bloom City Cal-Mag came in (thanks to @oldfogey8 for the heads-up), so I mixed up 600 ml with 0.5 ml of the micronutes (about 3 ml per gal, which is in the middle of recommended 2-4 ml per gal). After all the LST, topping, pinching and pruning, I'm gonna let her recover for a few days before I mess around any more. She looks healthy but tired to me.

As you can see, I'm also starting 2 more seeds of the same feminized photoperiod Gelato 45 strain. I'm loving tending to and forming this plant so much that I want to care for more plants. Plus, I realized that growing only one plant at a time won't keep up with my consumption, and I'd prefer to never need to buy flower again. My plan is to tend to all 3 together under the one light, and then move the 2 seedlings/plants into the adjacent cabinet where I'll place a second LED grow light and attempt to block any light coming out so as to not mess up my big plant in the flower stage. I think I might try getting away with one 600W LED lamp for prepping/vegging 2 plants in a cabinet and flowering 2 plants with the other lamp.
Hey, I just harvested my Gelato..8 hours ago. So stinky good. One of my better smelling harvest for sure. Still doesn't come close to my amnesia Haze a couple years ago.. holy smoke. Smelled just like I peeled an orange.. or lemon.. or a hybrid. Your girl looks good. Lol. Only place you can tell a guy his girl looks fine as hell.

Attachments

• 20221003_133819.jpg
    20221003_133819.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
day042.JPG

Day 42. Pot felt light, so I fed her 1.5L with 6 ml Grow Big early in the morn.

day043-2.JPG

day043-1.jpg

Day 43. Attempted some super cropping to slow this massive conjoined-twin main branch. Pot felt light again at the end of the day, so I gave her 1.5L more water.

day044-1.JPG

Day 44.

day045.JPG

day045-tips.JPG

Day 45. Wanted to share these pics above of what looks to me like nitrogen burn. Maybe because I not only fed with nutes with nitrogen, but with the cal-mag that has a little nitrogen in it too? Or maybe I watered too close back-to-back and sent too many nutes through the roots? In either case I'm not worried and she still looks healthy overall to me. I may try to flush soon if @oldfogey8 or another one of my cannabis angels encourages me in such a direction.

Update: I ended up flushing tonight. And ordered a pH meter. Clipped some of the burnt tips to see if it stops.

Last edited:
The yellowing in the middle of the leaf sections looks like magnesium deficiency to me, but considering the added cal-mag it makes me think PH is too low. I would have flushed them too.

I agree with crash. I don’t know the particulars of how you are growing or what nutrients you are using but pH is very important when growing healthy plants. The leaf tip burn looks like nute burn. When you get your pH meter, check your water, your water when the nutes are mixed in and the runoff. In soil you want low 6’s for pH(I think 6.2-6.5 is the sweet spot but I don’t check pH due to growing organically for years and using a product that is pH buffered now). If the pH is too high or too low, certain nutrients are locked out(calcium and magnesium or cal mag seem to be the quickest to show and easiest to ID). A lot of people have found their water has really high pH lately(someone on here said they are getting 10 out of their tap).

Latest posts

Back