grayman has germinated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had hermies adjacent to pinholes my cats kindly provided me with in my tent. My outdoor plants had exposure to the moon light, starlight and my deck light when I took my dog out all summer long. No hermies on them.

I like Chikamasa shears with curved blades. No spring and very light weight so less hand fatigue and the curved blades make it easier for me to nip off sugar leaves close to the stem.
3DCE1EA7-2850-4C36-894A-4AA1D468722A.jpeg

Hello! My name is grayman. A several decade THC connoisseur, and a (for-real-this-time) first-time indoor grower. This amazing plant has drastically changed my health and my life. If there was a god, this is how they would show us love. Here's some specs:
  • 3 gal pot
  • organic, well draining soil
  • local water around 7.5 pH (dechlorinated by exposing to UV)
  • no nutrients/suppliments to-date (only bottled unchlorinated drinking water)
  • 2-days to germinate using plate method
  • 4-days to sprout above soil
  • RH at 55-60% (I'm guessing using our basement dehumidifier meter; buying better meters)
  • temp hovering between 78-75F
  • LED 600W Grow Light Full Spectrum LED Grow Light hanging about 14" above sprout
  • watered with 20 ml water only on day 5
Here's a few photos of my sweet little girl. She's a feminized photoperiod Gelato 45 from Premium Seed Market that I selected because they said it was a good beginner plant (and it was a hybrid). I know I'm UBER excited to watch her grow big and strong, but I also want to make sure I'm headed right.

View attachment 307158 View attachment 307159 View attachment 307160 View attachment 307161
(From left to right: day 1, day 4, day 5, and day 5 showing temperature)

There's a little yellow on the tip of one of the seed-leafs. From what I know it's either 1) nothing to worry about, just give it time, 2) overwatered, so wait for the soil to dry more before watering again, 3) under/over-lighted, so move lights to accomidate, or 4) undernurished, so either adjust the water pH to 6-7 and/or give it a little nurtients (FoxFarm Liquid Nutrient Soil Formula Big Bloom at 1/4 to full strength). Please let me know if you have any experience/input for me.

Thanks!

grayman
Welcome to the forum bud

Alora-day068.JPG

Alora day 68. I fed her with nutes yesterday (slight increase in amounts from what I've been using). The super cropped tops have already bent back up and she's over 14" now. I have 42" of possible grow height 12" below the lights, so I could flip now at 1/3 of the available height or wait until closer to 21" for 1/2 the available height. Your input is welcome.

Becky-day027.JPG

Becky day 27. She started looking droopy this morning. The soil is still pretty moist. The bottom had a covering over it, so I removed for better drainage. I can see her roots already sticking out the bottom holes. I'm hoping she's not root bound again. My current plan is to wait it out another day or two, watching the leaves for further signs of issues. Temp is around 77F and RH 55%. I moved the lights to around 14" above the top from about 12". Your input is welcome.

grayman

Do you know how tall your Alora will grow? Sometimes that info is available. I have a 6 ft tent and get a couple feet height on my girls as I fill the tent. I grow under LEDs so that matters too. You can get super close to those LEDs without heat worries.

Do you know how tall your Alora will grow? Sometimes that info is available. I have a 6 ft tent and get a couple feet height on my girls as I fill the tent. I grow under LEDs so that matters too. You can get super close to those LEDs without heat worries.
No, nothing on the website. But Indica dominant, so I'm guessing on the smaller side?

Becky-day037-1.jpg
Becky-day037-2.jpg

This is Becky on day 37. I've already pruned 2-3 lower fan leaves with these spots, and they're still spreading. The soil drains too quickly I think. It's not holding as much water as the soil I used in Alora's pot. I'm leaning towards a diagnosis of undernourished: more magnesium or calcium perhaps? Any thoughts?

I agree with crash. Cal-mag deficiency.
Then that's how I'll treat her. More cal-mag. I just doubled the amount I was using, and I am considering transplanting her to slower draining soil (though she's already in a 3 gal pot I expected her to mature in). I'll also have to take some pH readings to check if that's in or out of whack. Thanks for giving me helpful feedback so quickly!

Alora-day086-1.jpg

Alora-day086-2.JPG

Alora-day086-3.JPG

Alora-day086-4.JPG

Alora day 86. Took 10 days of 12/12 to see little white hairs on the bud sites. Now she's getting full of them. She's 31" tall now.

Becky-day045.JPG

Becky day 45. She's already 13" tall. If she doubles to 26" she'll be only 3" from the max height of these LED lights. Therefore I'm planning on training her best I can for another few days prior to sending her to flower. I topped her once leaving 5 nodes/10 main branches and have been supercropping and LSTing the top 8 to give a chance for the bottom two runts to get closer to a flattop prior to flowering. Considering the more limited space in my DIY carboard/mylar tent ($37 for a 2'x 2'x 52" tent with fan; see material list below) I plan on trying to maintain only the 8-10 main branches/colas during flowering. I would appreciate hearing from experienced growers about how much trimming and training can be done while flowering before negatively impacting yield and plant health. Thanks!

-grayman

DIY 2'x2'x4' Cardboard Grow Tent
$9 mylar emergency blankets
$13 fan
$15 mounting tape (I could've used a weaker/cheaper product)
$0 duct tape (what I had)
$0 cardboard (old moving boxes)
$37 total (probably less than $30 with cheaper mounting tape for the mylar)

Last edited:
View attachment 313274
View attachment 313275
View attachment 313277
View attachment 313278
Alora day 86. Took 10 days of 12/12 to see little white hairs on the bud sites. Now she's getting full of them. She's 31" tall now.

View attachment 313279
Becky day 45. She's already 13" tall. If she doubles to 26" she'll be only 3" from the max height of these LED lights. Therefore I'm planning on training her best I can for another few days prior to sending her to flower. I topped her once leaving 5 nodes/10 main branches and have been supercropping and LSTing the top 8 to give a chance for the bottom two runts to get closer to a flattop prior to flowering. Considering the more limited space in my DIY carboard/mylar tent ($37 for a 2'x 2'x 52" tent with fan; see material list below) I plan on trying to maintain only the 8-10 main branches/colas during flowering. I would appreciate hearing from experienced growers about how much trimming and training can be done while flowering before negatively impacting yield and plant health. Thanks!

-grayman

DIY 2'x2'x4' Cardboard Grow Tent
$9 mylar emergency blankets
$13 fan
$15 mounting tape (I could've used a weaker/cheaper product)
$0 duct tape (what I had)
$0 cardboard (old moving boxes)
$37 total (probably less than $30 with cheaper mounting tape for the mylar)
Your plants look healthy. A net would help you hold that girl down a bit. You can even add an additional net higher up if you need to

If she gets too close to the lights, you can supercrop her in flower
That's SO helpful to know. Are there any other consequences to supercropping during flowering like stunting bud growth/yield? I assume the window to do so would be prior to the last 2 weeks or so, correct? Thanks, @oldfogey8 !

Your plants look healthy. A net would help you hold that girl down a bit. You can even add an additional net higher up if you need to
Thank you, @SubmarineGirl ! Could you please explain what you mean by "hold...down"? I'm guessing you mean more than just "keep lower to the ground"? Would a net then also push foliage out so it gets wider/bushier?

Thank you, @SubmarineGirl ! Could you please explain what you mean by "hold...down"? I'm guessing you mean more than just "keep lower to the ground"? Would a net then also push foliage out so it gets wider/bushier?
Yea exactly. Use the net to pull your Vegetation down sideways. They will spread out and start growing toward the light too after a day or so

That's SO helpful to know. Are there any other consequences to supercropping during flowering like stunting bud growth/yield? I assume the window to do so would be prior to the last 2 weeks or so, correct? Thanks, @oldfogey8 !
Super cropping may increase bud size though I don’t know of any studies to support the claim(once you super crop the branch, you lose the ability to see how it would have grown had you not super cropped the branch-kinda like the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle).

Latest posts

Back