Green Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

astra007

another tip: plants dont recognize green light so put green light bulbs in yer grow room so that you can see to work in the dark cycle. and i mean green light bulbs not light bulbs painted green - here they are called party lights 25 or 40 amp.

..but before you try this, you should probably check this thread
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4410&highlight=green+light
It seems the latest studies discount this theory. And though a 40 watt green incandesant might not be intense enough to muck up plants in a large room, it could definately affect plants in a smaller enclosed area such as a closet or box grow.
The wise and proven method, is Total darkness with NO interruptions during the lights off cycle.

I concur...total darkness.....why take the chance on having less of a crop? Do work when room is lit.....hasnt hurt me at all

I'm with Hick on this one. I won't say it will do anything. but after 6-7 weeks of time invested. Having it hermie for a stupid incadescent don't sound worth it. Keep the doors closed till lights on. IMO.

ok bud, makes an interesting read. im talking grow room with a single 25 watt not amp bulb fer watering and such. been doing this for 7 years and no problem during dark cycle. also use minimum time while in cycle. this creates no more light then the moon. or a lightening storm. otherwise the full moon would hermie all mj in nature and where would we be then?

otherwise the full moon would hermie all mj in nature and where would we be then?

not to hijack the thread, but just out of curiousity....lets say even if a full moon, a bolt of lightning, or a group of high end cars with Hid's passed a mj plant and caused it to hermie; becoming hermie in nature is not bad at all. Isnt it nature's way of safely cloning itself? It still makes seeds, the only difference is that there is no mixture of DNA between different plants.

Thats what I thought.."an interesting read".
Now I have a growier friend that claims the moon "will" hermie his "indoor" bubblegum strain, If it's grown OD. I can't verify that, I figured if it were that light sensetive, it had no place in my stable anyway.
I'll jst say that absolute darkness, without any interruptions is the safest policy.

If one can't get ones workdone in 12 hours of light one might want to rethink ones operation's oneness to the one who cares for one garden, as opposed to anotherone. I think that the orveruse of the one the one should be quiet;-/

becoming hermie in nature is not bad at all.
Even "if" that statement were true, it wasn't natural. It was cuased by light stress. The seeds will most likely exhibit the hermie trait. They will definately carry forward the hermie genetics/tendancy and will fully express them in future generations.
Hermies are poison to any breeding project, "IMHO" and the opinions of the breeders that I have studied. "Selfing" is not done with random hermie pollen.

you all have a point therefore im going to try an experiment on my next grow. i will remove my green lights and do all the chores in the day cycle leaving complete darkness in the dark cycle. i will probably start in 2 - 3 weeks. thxs fer the suggestion

~tokes~

I'm trying to picture photosynthesis occuring under the light of a lone 25 watt incandescent bulb.

Still trying...

Gah! It's not working! I can't picture photosynthesis occuring under the light of a lone 25 watt incandescent bulb.

What I can picture though is a MJ reacting to the infrared wavelength emitted by the light. Especially in the presence of CO2.

Paint the bulb green, the infrared still gets picked up by the plant.

If theres anything in MJ that responds to green spectrum light...it should be an observable thing under lights with narrow bands compared to full spectrum sources of light. The narrow banded grow, grown under MH or a light source that doesnt reach the 501 nanometers part of the spectrum where greens begin, would show a kind of defecency. Likewise, a broader spectrum light source would exhibit some sort of abundance that the other grow lacks.

The green range of the spectrum is narrow on it's own. What all could happen in that 60 nanometers...I don't know.

I've left green light on for hours at a time....over the course of a couple of weeks once...here and there since...if theres been some sort of negative impact on the grows...I've yet to realize it happening. There's also the gobs and gobs of master growers over the years that give working under green light a thumbs up. That doesn't mean it's 100% a-o-k....but curious that they'd not be screaming in every publication around that green light during the dark period is a no no.
But then theres those folks that got a hermie and linked it to the green lamp. (prolly that infrared reaction eh)

Verdict....if you're willing to venture into your grow while its dark....do it with a green bulb that is as far away as practical and or possible.

Use the lowest watt available. Human eyes are plenty sensitive enough to get around on one watt of light...let alone 25.

Solution....a string of green xmas lights comes in awfully handy for seeing in their dark. Especially since all the individual bulbs don't all have to be on at the same time to get light out of just a few of them.

Ok...thats me story. I'm sticking to it.

~tokes~

~tokes~

thxks will. only turn on the green if there is a problem during the dark cycle in the room. and no, dont paint an ordinary light bulb green or you will have problems. they chip.

some old dogs cant learn new tricks regardless how many times that other dogs say it can be done. thats their problem will, save yer breath my friend.

Those green party bulbs r what I've always used... either that.. or i expect red.. (like a dark room) would be ok. The main idea is to keep it dark as hell but have enough light to see.... if ppl r so concerned buy nightvision on ebay!

ah, kade? what color is HPS? ah, just wonderin? hhhmmmm...... true night vision lenses? ever used these? seen them comin at you? 2 glowing GREEN eyes

yes, but red travels the least distance... there has to be more then one reason the military uses dull red light.. I didn't say floodlights or nething. =P

Oh, and hps is the redder end of the spectrum, any other questions just ask =P

the military uses red light so that the aliens can see when they travel outside area 51

red light is least detected by the enemy...It is still light! I use a red light for one half hour before lights come on and then a halfhour at end of light cycle. It gives the sunrise sunset effect and the plants will respond to it. There are some posts on here about that. What I am saying is....light is light no matter how ya look at it......be one with the dark side...........

The easiest solution to the answer is to read a few papers written by the scientist and botanist Dr. D.R.Hershey. There are many "ifs" to the question of green light causing an interruption of flowering. He is internationally known as an expert in this field.

1. The plant must be capable of "seeing" a weak green light. Some do. This fact is inescapable. Of course, that means some don't.

2. The amount of light would have to be enough to trigger a chemical reaction in the plant. Again, this varies with strain and growing methods.

3. If you want to experiment with something that took you two months to grow, then by all means, put some green lights in your grow room. You may have any reaction to no reaction at all.

4. The plants could be slightly smaller or less potent. How would you know if they were or not unless you used an control group under conditions equal in all other ways?

5. The plants could have as little as one seed or a hundred if it hermied.

I agree with Hick. When your growroom lights are off, stay out of the room and leave it completely dark. Why do otherwise? To screw around in a dark growroom just doesn't make sense. It's a matter of planning. Plan things so that you don't have to go into the growroom during the dark cycle.

Otherwise, it's an experiment that you might regret. No one would be foolish enough to think that no strains can be hurt by the green light in a growroom during a dark cycle. Dr. Hershey has proven that green light can be seen and used by some plants. It's no longer a question of fact.

I'll keep mine as dark as can be and let you all play around in the dark with your green lights. Hhaahahahahahahaa.

I can't believe this one keeps rearing it's head.

what cha know about black light? or clear light; no color at all? hehehe when light travels thru space at 186,000 miles a second - what is the color? in fact what humans see as a color is not the same to a plant. therefore the doc is right when he states that SOME plants may utilize green spectum light. im not a plant and haven't found a translator yet so i cant tell. a marijuana plant will continue to grow under green light. this is correct. but the good doc fails to realize that the mj plant continues to grow in the absence of light as well. in both instances for a set amount of time. but neither will grow the plant over long periods of time.

Latest posts

Back