GreenBandit's Mini-Crop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here they are at 2 weeks old...they seem to be nice and healthy, the ones n the smaller pots have started their 3rd set of leaves, but the other retard is still on his 2nd...take a look

17.4.JPG

17.4(1).JPG

17.4(2).JPG

17.4(3).JPG

hey u guys think i should start fertilizing 2moro??...its been 2weeks

Yup! I would have fertilized as soon as they sprouted myself. But I guess it all depends on what you're using.

3 weeks later and the first problem arises...as u can see below one of my plants ain't doin too well and prob ain't goin to make it :( ...1 down 2 to go, at first i thought over-watering was the problem, but i think it could be a result of nutrient solution burn, others have suggested a lack of magnesium. I started fertilzing last week, when they were all in fine condition. I think when i first applied the nutrient solution some may have splashed onto the leaves, and combined with my 250w MH lighting, may have caused the foliage to burn. But just a theory based on some readings, truth is i have no idea wat to do so any advice would be much appreciated...

plants 24.4.JPG

3 weeks (1).JPG

3 weeks (3).JPG

3 weeks (2).JPG

Here's my take bandit. You say you are only watering a cup or two at a time....that's bad. It's best to moisten the entire medium and then allow it to dry out well between watering/feedings. This forces root growth. Sounds to me as if the root system is weak due to your watering technique and with the added ferts you sent them into instant shock....the root zone can't handle what you are giving it. I say water the soil WELL (no ferts)....let it dry to the point of pulling in from the sides of the pot then give a feeding. How much you feed depends on what you are feeding with so help us out with as much info as ya can. More details we have the better we can help without shooting in the dark as to what your problem MAY be.

yeh my nutrient solution is supposed to be diluted with water so wat i planned on doing was continue watering every 3-5 days and evry 3rd water or so combine the nutrient solution with the scheduled watering...i only used a very mild/diluted portion of the fertiliser last week but maybe it was still too much...and Refugee wat do u mean by "let it dry to the point of pulling in from the sides of the pot then give a feeding"...pulling in from sides of pot??... thanks for ur input

Bandit....soil expands with moisture and will shrink with a lack of moisture. When the soil dries out it will leave a gap around the perimiter of the pot itself due to shrinking. This is how i know it's time to water. I know this holds true for lots of potting soils, but maybe not for yours...I have never used the same soil as you have. Most important thing is to water till the soil is saturated allowing excessto run off and then giving the plant time to soak up all the water before adding more. You will notice a HUGE increase in your plants' health over the current method you are using.

ok so wat ur saying is to pour say half a cup at a time and allow to soak through before adding the rest...makes sense...would u say they'd need more than a cup at 3 weeks old?

You are sort of on the right track here, but not all the way there yet. ;) You want the entire medium wet....not just give them a little here and a little there. Dry medium does not absorb water a well as damp medium does so it does take soem time for it to absorb what it can hold. Trick is to wet the entire medium to it's saturation point and then allow the plant to use all the water in the medium before applying more.

so i should keep the medium thoroughly moist all the time...??

i remember reading somewhere that u should wait until the top 2inches of ur medium has dried out before watering again...this is how i've been determining when to water my plants, i stick my finger in a few inches and check if the medium is still moist

what refugee is saying is to water your plants realy well "saturate" the growing medium then wait (several days usually) untill the medium is pretty dry and repeat the process. you see mj plants like the medium to dry out between waterings.

Bogart is right on the money. MJ plants will actually do better in drier soil than they will in wet soil. I'm simply saying that the cup a day method you are using now is not what you want to do. Water the medium completely to the point of saturation then allow the medium to dry out....reapeat. If the soil never dries out the roots will never have to 'seak out' water thus building a strong root zone. I don't use the top 2" rule myself as I found even then there can be a lot of moisture still in the soil. I use the heft method myself. I water to saturation then feel how heavy the pot is by picking it up.....I then do the same when the soil dries out and pulls in from the inside edges of the pot. I then know how it should feel when time comes to water again. The soil pulling in fro the inside edges is a giveaway too.

ok heres my last plant still hanging in there...its into its 6th week now but still under a foot tall. Just thought id post a few older ones to show just how far its come over the weeks...

also u guys reckon it's looking a lot better now? the leaves are still rather curled inward but no real discolouration..

2 weeks(3).JPG

3 weeks (2).JPG

sick plant 23.4.JPG

sick plant 29.4.JPG

plant 6.5 (1).JPG

P1010033.JPG

P1010037.JPG

What a little beauty! And the pics are great - thanks! :)

Wow man. She's a little bush isnt she ? Lookin awsome. Keep it up.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GreenBandit again.

Looking much better bandit.
Wha's the plan? When you gonna' put it into flower?..

well i wanna get her to at least a foot tall, so probably another week or so before i begin flowering...ill keep u guys posted

Latest posts

Back