Greetings all

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for having me. Just legalized recreational where I live and as a life long smoker I figured I'd give growing a shot. Found this forum and it seems active and full of knowledgeable people, hope to pick your brains along the way and improve my very, very limited skills. Quick summary...wife and daughter breed rabbits so I have an endless supply of nature's best and I'm going as organic as I can figure out how to go. I built a 9x14 room and am growing in there. Originally thought I'd split it into a flower room and a veg room, but my first batch dispelled THAT particular idea, as it seems I will need every inch for 6 bushy plants. Currently looking at the house layout to see where I can add another small sealed room. I'm using 4 1200 watt king leds and 2 90 watt growstar all red leds to flower, but I will need to commandeer one of the full spectrums when I get the veg room built. Basic A/C unit built into the wall with a dehumidifier to keep humidity levels appropriate for whatever stage I'm in. Anyway, those are my basics, thanks again for having me. I hope I can start producing some beauties like you guys soon!

Welcome to MP. Aggressive training is needed for most plants to keep them from getting too big. Also, cloning helps. That can allow you to flip smaller plants that are already sexually mature. Good luck.

Hehe, yep. That's the first 'was told but had to learn for myself' lesson I picked up. Next round I will be very proactive as far as training. I found several threads addressing that, will go back and reread them before I start my next round.

Welcome Mick, we are glad you found us... it is the best hobby and as a life long smoker you will really enjoy this. It takes a while to get everything set up and not have setbacks. That is what we are here for. You are going to love this growing stuff and so glad you are organic.. me too.

Well, the 6 clones are harvested. Dried, trimmed and set into a canavault at 62% to cure a bit. Looks like I got about 9 oz of blue dream and another 3 oz of a pineapple. Not a huge crop, but damned if this isn't some of the finest bud I've ever smoked. Got a girl scout cookie/lemon something hybrid started up for the next run. Will try to document the whole process so you all can point out where and when I'm making mistakes. Right now they're waiting for my last 2 girls of unknown origin (from seeds I've kept over the years) to finish flowering up so I can set the big room to veg cycle and start getting them trained.

Congrats on your first harvest! It is so exciting to grow your own....and it always tastes better!

A 9 x 14 room should be plenty of space to set up both a veg and a flowering space. LOL--I had 8 plants outdoors in a 10 x 17 greenhouse that yielded about 10 pounds...and I could still walk around in there. If you harvested 2 oz from 6 plants, there is no way that they should have taken up the entire room. I routinely grew 6-8 plants in less than 20 sq ft with them yielding between 3 and 4 ounces each. You should easily be able to get 6-9 2-5 oz plants into a space 9 x 9 and then have a space 5 x 9 for vegging, cloning, storage, etc. The bigger your space, the more light and ventilation you are going to need. Lighting and ventilation needs are figured by sq ft and cubic ft respectively. There is really no practical reason to make a grow space bigger than what you will fill.

Read up on organic--there is a lifetime of information. It will take more than bunny poo. I really like the book "True Living Organic". This book is geared to growing cannabis and is a good basic book that explains the different amendments and what they do. It also has a lot of soil and tea recipes. Like most authors, they are a bit rigid on some of their opinions and some things I take with a grain of salt (like insistence on certain products). However, when I first started growing organic, I used it al the time and still find it a valuable resource.

Awesome, thank you very much. I'm a voracious reader, sounds like a good one to keep for reference. This was my first time and I really had no idea what I was doing. I rearranged 3x before I finally settled on what I thought would work. The biggest problem I had was how bushy I let them get. They spread way out and ended up wasting tons of energy and resources on the many lower branches I should have eliminated early. Live and learn, I will improve. Thanks for the tips, will take that into consideration moving forward...is the book you recommended the one by The Rev? Looked it up on Amazon, like to get it asap. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Yes, you will improve. Even those with a lot of gardening experience need to learn how to grow cannabis. Actually, just being able to bring your first crop to harvest is a great accomplishment (achomplishment ?)

Even without trimming/training, you should still have plenty of room...I'm trying to imagine 6 2 oz plants filling a 9 x 14 room and can't quite wrap my mind around it. I think you may have had some other issues here that caused the low yield--most likely not enough light for that much space (126 sq ft is a large indoor space)--another reason to make your flowering space smaller. So, I don't think it was really the bushing out that was the problem. I think it was that you didn't have enough light for that much plant and that large a space (although plants grown under LED should be trimmed as the light just doesn't penetrate enough). I'm thinking that the King 1200 is probably good for a space about 4 x 4 or smaller. I believe that there are several people here running King LEDs. Someone can probably tell you how much space they are good for.

Ventilation is also very important. Plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. Tell us about your ventilation system.

Yes, the book I am talking about is by The Rev. I do not use his super soil recipe though. I use a recipe that was posted here by an old member years ago. It has worked for me, so I saw no reason to change. I do use his tea recipes. There are different recipes for different phases of growth. I think he does a great job of explaining the nutrient needs of the plants. After the book by the Rev, there are some other great books that are more technical--"Teaming with Nutrients", "Teaming with Microbes", and "Teaming with Fungi". I haven't read the fungi one yet, but have the other 2.

The 6 didn't take up the whole room. I still have 3 not ready to harvest. On top of that I had enough dead space to build a small drying chamber at the end of the room. It would likely be plenty big for a veg area, but I'm concerned with light bleed. I have the flower room pitch black when it's dark and I don't want to introduce light to the room when I need it to be dark. It was just poorly managed, they ate up about 4'x6' of the table amongst the 6. 2 1/2' for me to move on either side (I'm a kinda big guy) and the width was spent. Any chance you have a link to that super soil recipe?

Ventilation system is totally lacking. I have an air conditioner I installed to keep the temps right, but I'm about 95% sure I need to get an exhaust fan and a filtered intake to get fresh air moving through.

If my entire table is 4'x8'and I have the 3 1200s spread evenly with the 2 reds between them, it sounds like I have enough light. I did notice I lose a ton of light to the walls. I did paint them white, but I'm thinking about trying to rig some sort of 5 or 6" reflector to run around the perimeter of the lights to try to reflect all that right back in.

Latest posts

Back