Greetings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya and welcome.
First of all I'm jealous of your enclosed balcony lol! I have always wanted one. With big tropical plants and maybe some rescued antisocial parrots who just want to chill in the branches and be left alone.
But hands off pot is a tough one! It grows fast and eats a lot. And needs to be transferred to a larger container every 2-4 weeks as it grows. Terra cotta is hard to get it out of, pick up some cheap plastic pots when you can for the next stage.
Flowering them on a balcony, the assumption is you've got an outdoor light, maybe ambient street light, light shining out of your home... when it comes time to flower, if you can't consistently control the light so they have 12 hours of uninterrupted darknesscat the same time every day, they will he prone to self-seeding, if they flower at all.
Look around, visit some journals, read up!
Do you have a fertilizer in mind already? They're going to be hungry soon if they aren't already.
Your plants look happy and as they grow we are here to help!

Hiya and welcome.
First of all I'm jealous of your enclosed balcony lol! I have always wanted one. With big tropical plants and maybe some rescued antisocial parrots who just want to chill in the branches and be left alone.
But hands off pot is a tough one! It grows fast and eats a lot. And needs to be transferred to a larger container every 2-4 weeks as it grows. Terra cotta is hard to get it out of, pick up some cheap plastic pots when you can for the next stage.
Flowering them on a balcony, the assumption is you've got an outdoor light, maybe ambient street light, light shining out of your home... when it comes time to flower, if you can't consistently control the light so they have 12 hours of uninterrupted darknesscat the same time every day, they will he prone to self-seeding, if they flower at all.
Look around, visit some journals, read up!
Do you have a fertilizer in mind already? They're going to be hungry soon if they aren't already.
Your plants look happy and as they grow we are here to help!

Thanks for the advice. I will be keeping an eye out but I don't want to smother them. Is there a "Joy of Cooking" equivalent for MJ that you recommend?

Thanks for the advice. I will be keeping an eye out but I don't want to smother them. Is there a "Joy of Cooking" equivalent for MJ that you recommend?
My favorite classic of the genre is Bonanza of Green by the bushy old grower. It sounds like it would suit your attitude towards keep it simple growing : ) it's a really nice book.
Haha joy of cooking... my ancient edition is falling apart from 2 generations of use. Another classic.

Hallo @viz , welcome to the group.
There are soils out there that profess to feed for 'most' of the plants life with your only requirement being you water them: am UK grower so can't get it here, but I believe fox farms do some good stuff for that approach if you're bass in US, perhaps someone who uses could interject here...?!

Reactions: viz
Are these nutrients suitable to use with my potted plants? I have a sprayer..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 11
I don't think there is really any bagged soil or homemade, for that matter that will feed from start to finish. They eat a lot. If you don't feed enough they won't produce as much.
Hi Rosebud,
Should I use something like.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 9
As far as a 40 lb. bag of "super soil" or whatever they call it goes, DO NOT fall for their hype about it. A few years back I was at a Cannabis Cup event and was talking a young man concerning this soil he was selling. He was telling me all it would need, from germination to harvest, was water. No nutes were needed. It wasn't very expensive, so I bought a 40 lb. bag to try. The young man even carried it out to my truck. My next garden I filled 2 pots (5 gallon each) with "super soil" and the remaining 8 pots with my usual soil (Sunshine Mix #4). Transplanted my seedlings into the pots and preceded to give 'em a good drink. After a few days, they all looked good, 8 of 'em needed watering, 2 did not, no big deal. A few days later, a repeat of the previous watering, 8 yes and 2 no. This went on throughout the whole grow. The 2 in the"super soil" never dried out from the initial watering and barely stayed alive. The company never answered my e-mails. The next year, at the Cannabis Cup once again, I approached the booth where it was being sold. Started talking to the guy in a civilized manor, only to have him turn around and walk away. Approached him 2 other times and the same thing happened, I was talking to his rear end as it got smaller in the distance. First class customer service at its finest. Nothing is going to last from seedling to harvest. Happy that I did not pay a whole lot for the "super soil" and unhappy that no one from the company would talk to me. Such is life.

As far as soils go I use Fox farm Ocean forest but I mix in about a third of the Happy Frog. It's great by itself for the first few weeks of the plans life but after that you do need the hungry little devils

You say sprayer, you only need that for foliar supplements and pest control. Normally you just water them with the food. Its possible to over spray plants and can lead to sunburn spot and leaching/bleaching. Just be aware of that.

I'm a fan of mixing bagged old compost into whatever else you use for dirt. It holds water, stabilizes ph, and just generally makes things easier to deal with. I'm not an organic grower by any stretch but there are some definite benefits to stealing hippy gardener techniques.

Hi viz!
Welcome to MP!
I don't know of any "joy of cooking" type books for weed.
The longer I grow the more I learn though and my buds a starting to show it.
There's just about everything you need to know available here from seasoned growers who like to share their knowledge and experience.
Read up and any help you need just ask. :)
If you look into super soil, try to cook your own. Its better than bagged.

Latest posts

Back