gro-bags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
i have been away. fall season.
anyway have started some babies and very excited about new grow.
was thinking about sog or scrog, as started alot of newborns.
could i use shopping bags for my potting.? the size i like is 12 by 8, 14 inches tall. all cloth. anybody go this route, good or bad.???

congrats 4u2 on bpotm!! nice. gonna do out and in this year. psyched.:) :)

Those fabric bags, I have heard do very well for potting. I haven't used them myself but I have heard others who say they love them. I love scrog as I am able to get the most yield out of them and find scrog the easiest to manage.

You will not find too many folks left here anymore as this site is shutting down soon. You can find most of the people from here over at Marijuana Culture.com now. I love this site so I still come here first to check on anyone like yourself that pops in. but I am not sure how much longer this site will be active for conversations.

Hushpuppy said:
Those fabric bags, I have heard do very well for potting. I haven't used them myself but I have heard others who say they love them. I love scrog as I am able to get the most yield out of them and find scrog the easiest to manage.

You will not find too many folks left here anymore as this site is shutting down soon. You can find most of the people from here over at Marijuana Culture.com now. I love this site so I still come here first to check on anyone like yourself that pops in. but I am not sure how much longer this site will be active for conversations.

thanks for heads up. what happened?? this was such a great site.:eek:

grass hopper said:
i have been away. fall season.
anyway have started some babies and very excited about new grow.
was thinking about sog or scrog, as started alot of newborns.
could i use shopping bags for my potting.? the size i like is 12 by 8, 14 inches tall. all cloth. anybody go this route, good or bad.???

congrats 4u2 on bpotm!! nice. gonna do out and in this year. psyched.:) :)

Thanks my friend....Credit goes to umbra as he made the seed...I just grew it out

As for your Question I have used those fabric bags with good results...I would recommend that you wash them first to rid them of the inks and dye from them first....just my thoughts

take care and be safe

Hushpuppy said:

this will be my 1st scrog attempt. growing in a 54 in. by 96 in. tent w/ 3- 600 watters. was thinking about 4 by 4 wire on a 2 by 4 frame, located 18 inches above plant base.?? thanks:)

4u2, good idea!! thanks bud:)

I use 3/4"PVC pipe for frame and don't glue it together so that it can be easily dismantled for access. I use Ts so that I can put legs on it to stand where I want. I have mine about 20" above the soil/medium level so that I have good access and air space under the canopy of the plants.

And for screen I use fence material that some call dog fence or hog fence. It is a 2"x4" wire fence that comes in 3', 4', and 5' heights and different roll lengths. I get it from the hardware store. I like the 2x4 holes over the 4x4 holes as it makes it easier to tuck young branches but isn't too tight. I connect it to the PVC with zip ties.

The key to scrog is to allow the plants to get up to the screen and then begin bending and tucking the branches, and don't switch to fflowering schedule until the canopy has filled about 3/4 of the screen. Then keep tucking the branches under the screen until you see buds begin to develop. At that point stop tucking and allow the buds to grow up through the screen.

I also will go under the screen, under the canopy of the plants and remove any lower branches that I am sure will not make it through the canopy to the light. I begin doing this when I switch to flowering, but I only take a couple branches from each plant per day so to not stress them.

Once they get budding really good (by 5th-6th week in flower) I start removing any of the small buds that grow under the canopy that will not get to the light. I remove any buds that form around the main stem of the plants as those are energy suckers that will cut down on the upper yield. I only do a little bit off this lower sucker/stem removal every 2-3 days so that the plant isn't stressed by feeling a lot of damage at one time.
I hope this is helpful for you. Good grow mojo for your first scrog :)

Hey grass if your seriously looking into a scrog i would suggest looking into my previous scrog posts your best bet is 1"x2" wood for your scrog table this way it will no add up to much as for weight little screw in hooks will hold it up fine from ceiling or your corner posts of tent which you can adjust as per stretch phase in flower
good square would be 4 x 4 i would use twine so when harvest comes all you need to do is cut twine to get to buds which i found works cut your twine holding scrog table up and let it rest on floor ... your at your plants :) the best

Also would like to mention is pick 3 pot sizes for instance 4" for starting then 12" then 36" for final phase IMO go Totes for second and 3rd phase of growth so much more neater and overall going to be so much more cleaner in your tent you can get 25 gallon or bigger totes for flowering stage and you can put 4 of them under your complete area as well as 2 plants per tote giving you a easy 10 oz dry per tote... if trained properly and massive pruning under the canopy Glad you decided to scrog rather then SOG as you will see better gains

thanks guys for info. sure hope this site stays up. be happy to contribute, not sure how and if they are gonna shut down reguardless.

anyway, i planned on packing my tent full. my biggest concern now is staking.this is why i was, am, leaning towards scrog. to help support lots of buds. thoughts??

thanks guys for info. sure hope this site stays up. be happy to contribute, not sure how and if they are gonna shut down reguardless.

anyway, i planned on packing my tent full. my biggest concern now is staking.this is why i was, am, leaning towards scrog. to help support lots of buds. thoughts??

scrog table will definitely help for staking

DSCF3019 (1).jpg

picture1054.jpg

does anyone use multi screens at different heights for added support. i usually flip lights when plant height is 30 - 36 inches tall, not including pot ht. i do like pvc idea. sounds so easy, and w/ unglued tees, could run screens at 16 and 26 in.+/- spacing. thanks! hey, i heard someone may have bought this site. heard anything?? so hope.. nice pics. dr.

grass hopper said:
thanks for heads up. what happened?? this was such a great site.:eek:

Don't give up on us yet! We have some hope that the site will be able to continue!

I ran a scrog pretty much like Hushpuppy described and was very happy with it. I trimmed uner the screen while still in veg and early in flower. I don;t think I really had anything below the screen that needed to be trimmed later in flower.

There is a big difference between the air pots that they sell for growing and the inexpensive grocery bags we get to help keep the planet green. IMO, they are quite different and not interchangeable.

My Bro tried the multi-tier scrog table for added support of stretching plants. While he found that it supported the plants very nice, it was ultimately not necessary or helpful. The problem he had was that he couldn't wrap his mind around the scrog method, which is to hold the vegetative canopy at one level while allowing only the buds to grow up through and beyond the screen.

He wanted to allow the plants to grow through the screen so that it only supported the branches rather than limit them to a set height. Allowing them to grow through created the need for a second level off support for the growing buds at the top.

If you maintain the canopy beneath the first screen until the buds begin to develop, then allow only those buds to grow up through the screen, there will be no need(typically) for a second support as the buds are the only things growing up above the screen. The buds will continue to grow up beyond the screen and depending on the strain, can get 10-15" tall above the main canopy which is held at the screen.

By the end of week 3-4 in fflower, nearly all of the vegetative stretch will have ended and only the growth of the buds will continue above the screen. By trimming up below the canopy, all off the flowering energy will be dedicated to the growth above the canopy where the buds will get the most light for proper ripening. The single screen should at this point be enough to hold the weight off the buds, unless they are super heavy buds that can occur with some strains.

Don't give up on us yet! We have some hope that the site will be able to continue!

I ran a scrog pretty much like Hushpuppy described and was very happy with it. I trimmed uner the screen while still in veg and early in flower. I don;t think I really had anything below the screen that needed to be trimmed later in flower.

There is a big difference between the air pots that they sell for growing and the inexpensive grocery bags we get to help keep the planet green. IMO, they are quite different and not interchangeable.

nice to hear from u htg. do u mean smart pots, compared to grocery store bags? just bought a bunch of grocery bags. have u tried them?? i was thinking of a taller bag, about 3 -4 gal. in size.the groc. bags i bought are 13 by 8 1/2 by 13 in. tall. my previous 5 gal. smart pots are 12 in. in dia. by 9 1/2 in. tall. kinda short imo. my 1st grow was amazing to me. i did let the girls get pretty tall before switching to 12/12. they finished between 5 and 6 ft. tall. several buds were 24 in. long, many 18 or 20 inchers. it seemed the taller plants had the largest buds. stalking these was a daily issue the last few weeks of flower.the lower 24 in. was total waste and trimmed off all leaves and popcorn buds. no light entered. these sq.bags nest together so much better than round. also taller pots/bags is better imo. my concern is staking. i thought the scro might help, but would need to locate 24 in. high to be of any help. i do like the big plants..

i think scrog is great way of stretching a few plants to fill a bigger area. i have toooo many babys started and trying to make the best of it. my mistake, i think.

dr.fever, i like self watering seed starters. 100% sucess this time, then to 6 by 6 pots then to 5 gal. or last relocate.

h. pup, really appreciate your input. think 24 in. is too tall for scrog??

Ogs need to be screened several times.... if you have lanky strains try multi scrogging. if it helps you will tell...if not just try putting more supercropping to work next run.

24 Inch to tall for scrog no remember you got to work under neath that lol you need 3 - 5 feet for perfect scrog height with lots of training super cropping and tucking all back below screen to next pot usually when screeen is 3/4 full flip continue cropping first to weeks of flip and tucking under neath once stretch phase stops and flowering buds are noticeable start cleaning under table i recommend not to skin plants to fast but do it over the course of 2 - 3 week of flower from fliping to 12 /12 every day get under and clean up all the larf buds stretch plant out move buds to different squares etc even adjust table to perfect height BUT REMEMBER YOUR CRAWLING UNDER SCROG TO CLEAN PLANTS AND FEED so if there is lots of plants your going to fight lol

View attachment dscf3867s.jpg

View attachment dscf3272u.jpg

View attachment dscf3045r.jpg

Yeah, what DrFever said. You can set your scrog screen pretty much anywhere you want it but it becomes a matter of ding what is workable ffor you. I saw a video where a guy was growing on shelving and had his screens 10" above the soil line. But his shelves were only 18" deep and his lights were set about 15" above the screen. It was a very controlled "micro-scrog" that required a lot off maintenance. But it worked ffor him as he had very little room to work with and tried it to see iff it would work that way.

If you have the room to allow your plants to grow out and up then a double screen that allows the plants to grow up through and just provides support for the buds will work just fine. You just have to make it out of something less static than I had mine as you would need to be able to remove it as you harvest.

I only single screen my scrogs, I have a hard enough time fishing the buds back out when the plants done. I use 3' x 3" squares for my grid pattern, .80 weed whacker string.

Latest posts

Back