gro-kashi

Discussion in 'Organic Growing' started by gottaloveplasma, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Aug 4, 2015 #61

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod Staff Member Admin

Duck, what are some of the other things I can use? Can I mix the carriers...say like some wood shavings, some bran meal, some kelp meal, etc? I do have wood shavings--been planing some pieces of (well aged) pine to make a butcher block top for an island. And I usually can get chips from chain saw leavings. I thought that I had read somewhere that wood chips were not as good as a lot of other things. I will be in the big city tomorrow or Thursday and could get some wheat bran....but don't really want 50# of it.

2. Aug 4, 2015 #62

bozzo420

bozzo420

bozzo420

if your chain saw is dull ,you will get saw dust instead of chips. lol. but a 40 pound bag of wheat bran is only 15 dollars. I have a bunch left. it will keep if kept dry.. A lifetime supply. I would call ahead ,everyone does not carry it. Save a lot of driving.

3. Aug 4, 2015 #63

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

Where did you get your wheat bran bozzo? I hate to drive all over town looking for things.

4. Aug 4, 2015 #64

bozzo420

bozzo420

bozzo420

the grain and feed store. or grain elevator.

5. Aug 4, 2015 #65

pcduck

pcduck

pcduck

Feed the soil, not the plant

I would not use chainsaw chips, I am not sure what the bar oil would do.

Like Bozzo mention grain elevator.
    Rice hulls and I would imagine shredded newspaper would work too. I would not use kelp kinda expensive. Newspapers I would just spray the AEM, don't want a gooy mess. Something some what inert but absorbs water. Vermicilite would probably work also.

6. Aug 4, 2015 #66

Droopy Dog

Droopy Dog

Droopy Dog

Like Duck mentioned, the rice hulls or the wheat bran. In my area, the wheat bran is much easier to source and the same $15/40# bag. Rice hulls are from the brew shop and a bit more expensive.

I would sorta avoid wood chips. They don't absorb liquid all that well and a lot heavier to boot.

When I mentioned the alfalfa and kelp meals, I just added some to the wheat bran. Like a couple of handfuls to a batch of bran.

The wheat bran for sure would be the best bet for your first attempt.

Wet

7. Aug 5, 2015 #67

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

We are in farming country. I will look at a feed store when I go to town. Thanks. I'll have more questions as I go on. Plasma--didn't mean to monopolize this thread. Would you like me to start another one?

8. Aug 5, 2015 #68

gottaloveplasma

gottaloveplasma

gottaloveplasma

They would eat the bar oil. Wouldn't they. Everything I read says they do and its an environmental use application of sane product.