GROW CAB - sunroofs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipflip

Reaction score
wat u'all think of how I have in my lil sketch up pic?
AC hoods just setting on top of roof of big ol 3x5x5 cab of sorts to simply give me more head room as well as eliminating the worry of odor getting drawn into hoods from the grow space, which is mainly what got me goin on reworkin a diff setup. plus small spaces aint user friendly for some to get into and maintenance clean etc ....
of course id have square holes cut into roof to mount/seal the glass from hood into , where I can just simly set the reflector on top and lift up whenever I need change bulbs etc.. basically just makin two sunroofs for a cab is all and settin the reflectors on top and maybe building some sorta lightweight enclosure to cover over the reflectors wiot insulation stuffed inside for noise too... and yes id have fan hooked up venting lights. just never put in the pic
my only concern is that it may just end up being a heat trap, under glass sunroofs bein heat form under cant dissipate/rise up around the lights and out to exhaust. but idk.

View attachment gh.png

Should work, you have to build it and see.

It'll be the first grow I've ever seen where you lower the plants rather than raising the lamps
I gre for the first few months when first started growin years ago where I raised and lowered lights but I still found myself finding random stuff like upside down buckets 2x4's misc etc to raise certain shorties when toegtehr wit any lanky broads, but I just build lil subfloor type boxes outta scrap lumber to raise the floor wether I need inch or two I lay 2x4's on sides 1.5"height and lay a piece of plywood over top it and then the shorter ones I use some scrap 2inch thick Styrofoam squares for individual pots along wit paint cans etc . anything I can find really. but by boxes I mean I actually got specific lumber aside set for makin square frames outta either 2x4's or 2x6's or even 2x8's and I just mix and match to get whatever height I wanan raise em all to. also figured id eliminate the use of flex duct which was a PITA on its own for me. them lil light leaks that look like holes but are not holes, jus spots where the inside black lining or foil got creased too much and flaked off the plastic, but either way the stuff never made a perfect seal wround flanges for me and I hated it dearly. im so dan anal its not funny man. and very very meticulous. id rater drop coin and go the extra hundred miles to make something work right and have comfort knowin shyts right and tight vs tryin to slack anywhere so anytime I can up any sorta efficiency in my grow enviro im on it . at least within my capabiulities tho.
but I gave up on flex duct all together and went wit rigid duct and elbows and really made difference on flow and especially the dan noise the flex crap makes when its next door where u sleep its nuff to drive me nuts anyway..

Should work, you have to build it and see
well of course im sure. LOL but first im jus tryin to see if anyone else has fabbed up a cab or box or whatever in such fashin as I depicted. I mean if id get responses like guaranteed fails wit such then naturally im not gonna waste time tryin to attempt. im not exactkly 100% able to do things as fast as most folks in life due to med issues, but I get thru in life, jus at a slower pace is all. LOL s id hate to try and fail only to have to rebuild etc.. but I guess if I cant find any thing similar wit review exp etc then prolly jsu gon have ta dive in and make it I guess.
ive seen them BCnorthernlights brand prefab grow boxes and they got lights in the ceiling cavity , similar to what im wanting to attempt only on a laregr size.
another thought goin thu mind is that whatever heat may trap and build up under glass roof with be negated by the fact I wouldn't have to have all the dan bends/elbows and lengths of strait duct to get from point A thru the lights and out PointB. basically uppin my flow and coolinn abilities im sure. also all the intake air inside room will stay below light uppin the ante on the whoel fresh air movement across canopy vs some or a lot of it goin directly up and around reflectors to the ceiling exhaust before gets all air gets a chance to pass over entirely.
when I take a lazer thermometer gin deal and check temp directly above intake in corner where that wall meets the ceiling in my old closet setup it was always the coolest spot in the entire closet. sorta made em wonder why I was putting plants on floor. LOL.. this was another kink I wanted to eliminate by doin this project here as well..
but like I said im prolly gon be doin it either way but still wanna get some feedback prior

anyone ever use one them prefab northernlights growboxes wit lights aircooled in a portion of the top/roof of it .?

If you can build it taller that would be good because the more height the better.

If you can build it taller that would be good because the more height the better.
I cant believe I never thought of that. LOL jp bro. jus bein a smart ace . I agree tho , but low ceilings as is, and would defeat purpose of what im contemplating then. thing is im tryin to avoid all hassles as far as keepin hoods sealed from room air. also I use god prefilters on lightsventillation intake so therefore creating more pressure sorta turnin the hoods into a mini vaccum I guess and air follows path of least resistance and wit the simple expanding nd contractiong due to temps lights on an ..... bottom line is I wanan have the luxury of AC lighting but have the comfort of knoin 100% im not gonna have an odor breach in any connections at any point which always happens for me. im not one them simple duct tape and worm clamp duct flange connecting gys either. I go the whoel nine yards and tehn some neoprene duct clamps rigid duct all around (hence why I have always raised and lowered plants my whole life growin. I absolutely refuse to use that dam flex crap no mater how good anyone says any particular brand is. flex IMO is simple and effective but yet not really all that efficient either , vs rigid ducting and even better using rigid elbows. change ur flex to rigid ducts sometime I bet u'll never go back and would deal wit lights/hoods being stable mounted in place . the airflow impediment u get form all that flex crap is nuts ime. and the noise u egt from flex vs rigid.... oh man it nice. I sleep next door to my girls and am light sleeper too so....
I could suck room air in thru lights and blow into filter outside room too but from experience I know havin lights ventilation separate form room exhaust is far better than all in one.
I could go on forever guys as to why this and why that etc but in all honesty just trust me ive thought out so many diff variables and methods etc and im not new to all this either so .. this si simply the best route for things as are atm, granted the whoel sunroof deal isn't a bust like I worry is all. but im doin it either way I guess. so im sure we'll all know how it fairs in due time I guess.
if any u've sustained the injuries I have over the many years due to small grow space and the havin to crawl into the dang places to do any sorta maintenance etc ur life would be easier if u could set ac hoods on top a cab/room of sorts as im workin up here.
I got a scar that looks like someone stabbed me in the skull wit a Philips head screw driver from the wingnut on one hood, but since then have fixed that so wont happen again, also did a number while retractin myself form the old closet and I leaned back up too quick only to crack my glass on another hood. lucky I had the thing silicone and foiltaped on endes of it otherwise I bet the shards woulda come down on my neck like a dam guillotine)sp?) and havin to seal the hoods so tight so not to get odor sucked intot hem and havin to change bulbs and clean insides now na then.... havin to redo all the seals I did prior at flanged connects etc... lets jus say I have very little hair too.. LOL

but I will take raising and lowering my plants form floor anyday if it meant not havin to deal wit odor breaches in my lights ventilation line as it goes thru the space... I usually grow diff strains at once and no two are ever same height so either way im still finding various stuff round house to raise an dlower others to make more even canopy. paintcants and scrap 2x4 chunks mostly is all I need ever. been doin it for years too..

I'd suggest that improvements to your extraction system to reduce noise would be time better spent than building a cab as you've described.
multi, I tore all gorw down months ago. remodeled house and workin on new getup now is all. tryin to avoid creating same woes as I had with prior setup so gota build something regardless. and im not bout doin some cheapo poly pvs tent or even a regular tent. I actually got a 4x4 agromax that I absolutely despise and refuse to use it, id rather put my plants in pots on front porch before I ever use a grow tent. no idea why I even bought the sucker either to tell ya the truth. im jus used to havin my own built rigid sturdy stuff for growin is all. the money I spent on that tent I can only imagine the possibilities of what I coudla built for same cost :D TBH I actually enjoy the whoel building grow related things. handmande when comes to wood workin is almost always better IMO. plus u can make it to ur specific cpec's etc, and its made how u want it,.
honestly I think u'll dig the cab im doin up tho. just ive me some time is all. :D not as fast as some folks in life is all... im also solo too so...

Latest posts

Back