Grow question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newgreenthumb

Da Bagseedologist!
Reaction score
:) Hey I was wondering. I have 8 seedlings that I would like to know when to start pinching the tops to start more side growth. I want more compact bushy growth. Four of them have 3 to 4 nodes that are close together and approximately 3 to 3.5 inches in height. Also at what rate to raise the lights.

newgreenthumb said:
:) Hey I was wondering. I have 8 seedlings that I would like to know when to start pinching the tops to start more side growth. I want more compact bushy growth. Four of them have 3 to 4 nodes that are close together and approximately 3 to 3.5 inches in height. Also at what rate to raise the lights.

As soon as you notice well formed side growth at your top node, you can top the plant. The growth will be two new stems growing from either side of the main stem. If they are well formed and at least a half inch tall, then topping if fine. The same thing goes for any new growth you have.

The lights should stay at the proper height from the tops of the plants. With a 400 watt HPS, that's 18 inches or more depending on the health, size and age of the plants.

Latest posts

Back