Grow room dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighBrixMMJ

Reaction score
I've recently moved and am going to be re setting up. I previously was in a place where I constructed a room and I was able to cut holes in the ceilings and such.

Where I am at now, I will be using tents for the first time. I have a 4x4x6 for flower, and a 4x2x6 for veg. I am running two advance platinum series 300w led's in flower tent and my 4ft. 8 bulb T5 in my veg tent. I will be supplementing with co2.

I am setting these up in a room where I have no window, and I cannot cut holes. My dilemma is I am not sure how I am going to get rid of hot stale air! Any suggestions, or tricks up your sleeves would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Can you tie into the house HVAC and into a return air duct?

And, where are you pulling your intake air from? Same room, I assume?

Can you tie into the house HVAC and into a return air duct?

And, where are you pulling your intake air from? Same room, I assume?
Yeas my intake air is being drawn in through gaps in the door from the rest of the house. There's a window just outside that room that I can keep cracked open, the negative pressure will draw that in. I know how and why to use co2. I know that will help with the lack of a good fresh air draw( besides the before mentioned window) to keep the co2 levels up. The only way to hook into the HVAC system in that room would be to block up the vent that brings in AC, and I don't wanna do that, where I live it gets to be high 90's with 100%rh in the summer months.

Your ac intake is not enough?

I have 2 tents in one room. When it gets to warm I open the door

Hi!
Maybe one of those free standing room ac uniits that don't need a window- I think they are not as effective but better than nothing. It may help the heat issue but not the fresh air. Do yo own the place? If so you have more options.window ac sitting in room vented to Ductwork dryer vents hole in the floor lots of ice oxygen tanks --- good luck!

THG would tell you to put a whole in the floor or wall, she will, i am telling you. HA. You have to have fresh air coming from somewhere..

I have the fresh air thing figured out. I need to figure out how to get the hot stale air out. I have central air. That brings in fresh air . as well as the window outside the room right by the door. I open that a bit coupled with the negative pressure from the room, will pull fresh air in. On top of that I'll be adding co2. I do not own, I rent. If I owned I know exactly what I could do. I cannot cut holes in the ceiling, the floors are concrete with tile on the, so can't cut through that. I really only have one wall I can cut into. But what, do I just pump hot air int the wall? Won't that restrict my airflow from my fan? I own a portable AC unit, but I have AC already, and again I'd have to expel the heat from that thing as well!

Actually the question was going to be: Why can't you put holes in the walls?

I can say that I used to be horrified at the idea of putting holes in any walls or ceilings or floors.....and then I became a plumber. I did find out that whatever holes you need to make anywhere for whatever purpose can be repaired....and usually a lot cheaper and easier than you might think.

But cooling and ventilation is going to be a lot less important because you are using LEDs and CO2 enhancement. If you are using CO2 enhancement, I do not understand why you would need to bring in fresh air on a continual basis. Maybe you should tell us exactly how you have the CO2 set up? Usually you have an air tight room when using CO2 and do not have to really worry about exchanging the air in the room. If heat is a problem, you should be able to use a portable A/C that is vented out a window.

If the only out is to cut a hole in the wall and vent into that.... I think that should be fine. I vent into my ceiling rafters from my tent. That's a little more space than a wall stud but, they run HVAC through walls it must be OK. LOL

Cut a nice round hole and save the drywall piece for repair later. Like HG said, it's really easy and cheap to fix drywall (assuming it's drywall you're cutting through).

Also, I like using the adapters for the holes. It's a small piece that has a flange on one end for the ducting and on the other end it had a flange with fold-over tabs to secure it to the wall or ceiling. Makes a nice clean job.

You are running co2 correct?

No need for fresh air.
Just need to get rid of the heat above 85.

I didn't see here - you do have to go through to the next room if you cut a hole in the wall. The space between studs is not open to the attic ( or shouldn't be) . And there goes you're co2.

I am running co2 through a cap xgc-1e complete growroom controller. This only allows the co2 to permeate the grow tent during fans off, then when fans turn on it turns the co2 off.

Actually the question was going to be: Why can't you put holes in the walls?

I can say that I used to be horrified at the idea of putting holes in any walls or ceilings or floors.....and then I became a plumber. I did find out that whatever holes you need to make anywhere for whatever purpose can be repaired....and usually a lot cheaper and easier than you might think.

But cooling and ventilation is going to be a lot less important because you are using LEDs and CO2 enhancement. If you are using CO2 enhancement, I do not understand why you would need to bring in fresh air on a continual basis. Maybe you should tell us exactly how you have the CO2 set up? Usually you have an air tight room when using CO2 and do not have to really worry about exchanging the air in the room. If heat is a problem, you should be able to use a portable A/C that is vented out a window.

I don't have a window to vent out of inside the room, the window is just outside the room. I cannot run ducting out of that room through my living room, I need to keep it as stealth as possible from in laws and such. I am not afraid of cutting and repairing holes as I amvery handy, I build staircases for a living and I've been doing construction remodels my whole life. I own all kinds of tools, etc. my issue is my landlord, he does all the work on this place and he's in our attic frequently. He would notice a vent with a fan running and have some questions, I can't have that. If I vent into a wall it would be a closed wall between two studs top plate still in tact. So air would be trapped.

If you do that possibly cut your 6" -8" hole. In the drywall then use a hole saw to drill into the 2 x 6 (4?)s and make openings on both sides to make a bigger exhaust chamber of sorts. You could even cut more holes in the dryeall to work and drill more then patch the extra drywall openings.
Without an outlet though the air wont flow so you might drill some holes in the top plate with the hole saw total equalling the size of the duct letting the air into the attic.

I run co2. If my room had central air. I would pull air from outside the tent through my lights then exhaust the heated air into the return duct of the ac.

In my experience and as Joe mentioned humidity is more of a problem then heat. A good dehumidifier is really handy:)

I agree with Duck. This how I am doing it. My understanding about central A/C, it doesn't pull in fresh air, it cools and dehumidifies the inside air. A dehumidifier is a good idea for when the A/C is not on.

I agree with Duck. This how I am doing it. My understanding about central A/C, it doesn't pull in fresh air, it cools and dehumidifies the inside air. A dehumidifier is a good idea for when the A/C is not on.

Thanks umbra and duck, I do have a dehumidifier. I only have a AC vent in the ceiling, cold air return is in a different room. If I hook to the AC vent then I'll be blocking the cold air needed to cool the room in the summer months.ill post some pics of the room.

Latest posts

Back