Grow room walls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SKAGITMAGIC

I've been wondering how mirrors would work on the walls to reflect light back into the lower canopy. If the lights are stationary, it should be no problem getting the right angle on the mirror, just thinking!!:hubba: :angrywife:

NO! Dont do it mirrors reflect so well that they will reflect the image of the lightbulb, meaning it will concentrate that exact beam of light instead of saturating the light and reflecting it all.

Paint the walls flat white, get a few windsheild visors (they are used in the windsheild for a reason), they also have real light foam board thats comes in 10x4 piece with mylar on one side that you can cut to size and just velcro up.

Hey Skagit,
I have read here many times that mirrors are a no no. Not as reflective as you would think. Flat white is more. who knew?

Flat white ceiling paint has the most titiamium(?) oxide in it and is the most reflective.

Flat white is what I have always painted them, just a thought,lol, actually I use a flatwhite primer that kills mildew.

I have flat white walls in two of my growrooms and my third growroom has styrofoam insulation board that has mylar on one side on all of the walls. honestly, I can't tell any difference between the two types. I believe the white works better than the mylar

Can't remember where I saw/heard of this but I believe it goes as follows

%Reflected Lumens:

Mylar 91-93%
Flat White 85-87%
White Plastic 82-84%
Sheet Rock 78-80%
Mirror ~75%

As for mirrors, I have never tried them. However palisade cells, which perform about 90% of the photosynthesis are among on the top layer(s) of cells just below the cuticle and epidermis. I don't think you'd see much benefit from light reflecting from the bottom.

valleyboy said:
Can't remember where I saw/heard of this but I believe it goes as follows

%Reflected Lumens:

Mylar 91-93%
Flat White 85-87%
White Plastic 82-84%
Sheet Rock 78-80%
Mirror ~75%

As for mirrors, I have never tried them. However palisade cells, which perform about 90% of the photosynthesis are among on the top layer(s) of cells just below the cuticle and epidermis. I don't think you'd see much benefit from light reflecting from the bottom.

Valley is right about this, you dont get light to the bottoms of the leaves only the tops. The bottoms of the leaves acts more for breathing. Getting too strong of a light on this area isnt recommended as it can dry out the undersides, and thus make it harded for the plant to breathe.

Yessir, Alk, IMO there are two possibilities here.

Heat and light on the underside is going to make the plant want close its stoma to prevent water loss from the additional heat and light. Closed stoma will inhibit gas exchange and thus less CO2 absorption, less growth.

The plant will 'sweat' out more water without utilizing the light to create any useful energy.
If the stoma don't close they'll remain open trying to compensate for the heat/light and over perspire leading to excessive water loss, which is just more water it has to work to put back in.

So either possible outcome, IMO, is a loss.

valleyboy said:
Yessir, Alk, IMO there are two possibilities here.

Heat and light on the underside is going to make the plant want close its stoma to prevent water loss from the additional heat and light. Closed stoma will inhibit gas exchange and thus less CO2 absorption, less growth.

The plant will 'sweat' out more water without utilizing the light to create any useful energy.
If the stoma don't close they'll remain open trying to compensate for the heat/light and over perspire leading to excessive water loss, which is just more water it has to work to put back in.

So either possible outcome, IMO, is a loss.

wore me out just reading about it!! lol, By the way valleyboy, I wanted you to look at this stem, This is the third (ribbon stem) I,ve gotten from the Mazzar x purple urkle strain i grow, The tops just stutter a bunch of cabbage growth, its so thick its in its own way!!! I'm gonna let it play out, instead of topping it, a second time,

P1090446.JPG

P1090447.JPG

P1090448.JPG

That's one savage plant you got there, Skagit.

(\ /) <--Thumbs up ;)

I can't recall the name of that, it's a natural graft of sorts...I have a Vanilla Kush doing the same thing! Looking good, my friend!

When branches grow into each other it is called an approach graft, I suppose that would be an example of one.

Thanks also valleyboy, really appreciate you shareing your smarts with us, you too Roddy,actually a big thanks to everyone. Have a toke with me.

Latest posts

Back