Grow Tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinn

Reaction score
I am thinking of using a grow tent for the first time. Fan and filter will be outside. I use an air cooled HPS. I am wondering how I can set it up so that I can raise and lower light or will I have to keep light fixed and raise/lower plant. I know I can use that flexible duct piping, but it is not all that flexible.
Thanks
Kevin

Depends on the size of tent 4 X 4 you can do it.
Have to get the real flexible and not steel rigid type (does not bend well) The Flex type is not a metal but more like a foil and it you allow enough length it will hang down enough to do what you want.
But it may be easy to just cut pipe to size each move.
You are not raising it that often.

Like this , enough of the flex vent pipe will allow it to go up and down
1619730967116.png

Yup. exactly how I do it. Except with a perpetual I don't raise and lower near as much as the picture above. I have mature plants in with young ones. I use plastic cubes to set the younger plants on in order to keep all tops even with the light. I do raise and lower some but not that much.

I have ports at the bottom and top of my tent....standard. Exit at the top and intake at the bottom....natural vortex in veg.

I have ports at the bottom and top of my tent....standard. Exit at the top and intake at the bottom....natural vortex in veg.
Do the vents allow for good air flow, and also not allowing any light into tent without a vortex of vent fan.
I have use the cheaper inline fans for heating systems that I was able to use on 4 and 6 inch flex vent pipe.
1619780587716.png
They are cheap at H depot or Lowes

With the tent do I have to have an supply to the light or can I just draw out of the tent.
In a perfect world, you should draw your fresh air from outside the tent AND from outside the room if possible and exhaust the same way.

Drawing air from inside the room will slowly (or not so slowly) warm the room to unacceptable levels as you are recirculating hot air and reheating it. You may be able to do it, you will have to try. Drawing air from inside the tent would accelerate this problem. Drawing and exhausting in same room may be possible, but you really need fresh cool air coming in and going out, or at least one or be able to cool room with AC or drawing in outside air in fall/winter.

Bubba

Last edited:
Always draw fresh clean air from outside your grow room into your grow room. Other wise your just recirculating stale air. The stale air should be going outside or into the attic.

I vent mine through a window well. Took the glass out and cut a 6" hole in plexiglass and installed it where the window was. My intake is the same set up as a dryer vent but it is an intake rather that a vent.

For those who are tent growers this is the set up I have been running for over a decade.

First, here is how I vent outside.
IMG_20210502_121157381.jpg

That is a window well and I have it blacked out. The 6" ducting runs from the can fan to the window which has a 6" hole cut in plexiglass that replaced the window.

IMG_20210502_121701739.jpg

Inside the tent I have the charcoal filter hanging from the top of the tent and have the ducting running to the can fan and out of the tent to the window. I turn the air in the room over twice a minute so the air is always fresh and cool inside the tent.

IMG_20210502_122903087.jpg

Back outside the tent. I run a separate filter (scubber) up and though the cool tubes to keep the lights circulating and mitigating more heat. This also helps control the smell when trimming and when I have the tent open and working on the plants.

IMG_20210502_121708552.jpg

This is where the ducting comes in from outside the tent and through the first light.

IMG_20210502_121643545_HDR.jpg

This is the second light and then back out of the tent and to the outside of the house.

Simple set up and I can control both humidity and heat with speed controls on the fans. I haven't changed a thing since the set up does exactly what I want and need it to do.

One thing I forgot, back to the first picture. The vent at the top of the picture is my intake into the basement. Fresh air from the outside.

Latest posts

Back