Growing Feminised Seed indoor HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVD1983

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my 2nd attempt at growing some nice indoor buds. My 1st grow I was given clones and had a successful yield. This time I've tried from seed with imported feminised seeds (purple haze, Pineapple Express).
I would like to hear people's thoughts and opinions on my setup and general operation. Tips and advice much appreciated.

My grow room is:

1.5m x 1.2m x 2.4m
Top fed recirculating drip system x 2 large tubs (internal)
Large nutrient tank (external)
600w HPS light
Charcoal filter with extraction fan
Rockwool

To sprout seed I've made hole size of finger 1 inch deep in centre of Rockwool, I gently placed seeds in hole, covered with Rockwool. I've set timers to water 15 mins every 4 hours. Light is 2-2.5 ft above medium set on 18/6.
Is there anything wrong about doing it like this? I've found so much miss leading information in regards to my technique. Am I wasting time or is this ok?
I also used a cap full of nutrients in water just assuming it would need it. I've read now maybe that was wrong also. Am I watering it to much? I really am just winging it!
Thanks for any help and input!

View attachment image.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps an unventilated reflector for a 600 w hps will produce too much heat.
With photoperiod plants, I prefer to veg them under 24 hr light then switch them to 12/12 when I want them to begin flower.
I found that they begin to show pistils much sooner than when I used 18/6 during veg.
Normally, it took about 10-14 days for the first pistils to show under 18/6 but only 5 days to show pistils when started under 24 hr light.

Please read and follow the directions on the bottle before just throwing in a capfull of nutes. Others will be by that know more than me about your set up.. Green mojo for the grow.

I am not quite understanding your hydro system. Could you tell us a bit more? What nutrients are you using? Do you have a pH meter and a PPM meter? With hydro, it is critical that pH levels be kept within certin ranges for proper nutrient uptake.

I personally believe that it is best to start seeds in something like a small rockwool cube or rapid rooter and water by hand and then transfer to the hydro unit after the seed is established and showing good root growth.

I also run my veg lights 24/7. You may also have problems using HPS all the way through. Plants prefer a light in the blue spectrum for vegging, something in the 6500K range. Running HPS (red light in the 2500-3000K range) for vegging will probably result in rangy willowy plants. If you have a digital ballast, you could change out to a MH bulb for vegging.

I also agree that you will probably have a hard time keeping your space cool without an air coolable hood. What are your temps running? What kibnd and size extraction fan did you get?

This is not a good hobby to make assumptions. It is important to have a good understanding of what cannabis needs to thrive and then do that. Growing cannabis is not like growing veggies or ornamentals. Cannabis can be very picky and difficult sometimes. Learn all you can. Don't feed without knowing when and how much they should be fed.

Oh ok, I will give it a go and turn light to 24/7. Nutes I use is called Growrite.
Bottle recommends 5ml per litre for full strength at 1400 PPM.
I test the Nutrient tanks PH daily, seems to vary between 5-7
If it's higher than 6.5 I'll add a cap full of ph down to bring it back to 5-6ish
Temperature is always 25c or 75f, the 6inch inline duct extraction fan I have hooked up to filter seems to really do its job. Have had no issues with ventilation or temperature so far.

My system is 3 large tubs (600x400x200) which sit on bricks and are all set to the same height.
They are all plumbed and connected with 1.5 inch hoses. 2 are inside the grow room as photo I uploaded shows. The other is outside room for easy changing and checking of water ph n nutrients.
Then inside room on the 2 tubs sits another 2 tubs. this tub has holes for drainage in bottom.
This is used for the Rockwool medium.
All 3 tubs have Air stones and external tank has a heater also.
The water pump is in the External Tank which will pump to top of both tubs inside room and drip feeds plant as required. The Water then obviously drains through Rockwool over seed/plant roots and back into bottom tub/tank. Recirculating. It seems to be a really easy and low maintenance system because the roots are always in water/nutrients and still get the oxygen they require.
I've never used seed directly in Rockwool before and as there are no roots hanging down into bottom tank like using clones, I'm not sure if I'm watering to much.
I hope I made sense explains my system.
Again thanks

ok well i would say seedlings do not use anything greater then 200-400 ppm, if you hit seedlings with 1400ppm you will fry them i wouldnt recommend 1400ppm ever in veg the highest i go is 600ppm in veg.
additionally you need to get a ppm pen and a ph meter not liquid drops meant for a pool or aquarium. I would get a sealed hood that allows you to cool the light, also it appears you are using a hps bulb but uou want a mh bulb or cfl's or t5, something with blue and white in it, hps is strictly for flowering.

Thanks for all the info. Great to hear from experienced growers. I'm heading to shops first thing in morning! Excited!!

im not even sure what im looking at? what type of medium is that and you need less powerful light and the container is much to large to start a seedling imo

Like Gooch, I am still not really understanding your hydro system. I don't use rockwool because I have a hard time controlling how wet the medium stays. But I am thinking that 15 minutes every 4 hours may be too much water and keep the rockwool too wet. I don't understand the tub within the tub? Is it going to be possible to take this apart to clean? Did you copy this system from somewhere?

As I mentioned in another post seeds should be started in something small so you can control things and then transplanted to the hydro unit when you have good roots. I do suspect that the rockwool is staying too moist and like Gooch mentioned, the light is too strong for seedlings. I also would say that you do not need a res heater, especially in the summer and with a pump in the solution. Res temps that are too high are way more of a problem than res temps that are too low.

I also question how and where you are taking temperature readings. I have grown for decades and I simply cannot believe that a small duct booster fan on a big carbon filter with a batwing hood can keep temps in the mid 70s in the summer.

Did you remove the water with the nutrients in it? Did you get a pH meter and get the pH where it should be? Can you tell me more about your nutrients, I have never heard of them? What are the N-P-K? Do they have seperate vegging and flowering formulas? Are they formulated for cannabis?

CVD, nothing against all other methods. i know they all work well... what i know some about is dirt. ITS EASY!! start in rapid rooters for 1 week. Keep them wet. transplant into good soil, foxfarm based. into 5 by 5 inch pots +/-. food is in soil, no feeding for 3 to 5 weeks. a little nitrogen only if needed. transplant into 5 gal felt pots. feed heavy (flower foods) till harvest... EASY.. Have read SO many issues with new growers. easy is good with new growers. much fewer issues. jmo

gooch is correct. should be in a solo size cup now. light up 18 inches or more. t5s for new borns is best...almost NO FOOD YET. Babies are soo fragile..

o ok that is rockwool? ok so then you should only be adding water as it gets dry, its very good at holding water and amkes a great starter medium just use small 1x1 cubes then move it into a 3x3 after rooted

The Nutes I use I'll post pic. The PH tester was a little bit expensive for me right now, I will purchase one but I don't have spare $300 at moment so will have to wait. My hydroponic system is pretty common here in Australia. I've seen many just like it. The tubs are cleaned before each grow but other than that I don't clean them till finished. I use external tub to drain and replace water and nutes. The top tub hold my rock wool. Bottom tub is full with water. The roots grow down into water and that's how they stay. I just assumed this was a pretty common system. I'm going to try save this seedling seems to have grown a little over night. But yes next time I will be using the Rockwool cubes and germinating. The light I have is probly too much but for now I'll continue with it.

ok well a ph pen cost about 90 dollars you def dont need a 300 dollar one, it important to make sure you let things dry out a bit the plant needs air to breath, and you should not be feeding the plant anything till at least you start seeing new growth then a very very very light solution. like 100-200 ppm

Oh really? In that case I better shop around.
I've now shut down all feeding and just kept light at distance. I will post a drawing of my setup to help explain... Thanx heaps

also pleaase change the light from high pressure sodium (hps) to metal halide(MH)

Latest posts

Back