Growing in soil blasphemy. Or I am off my medication, which is it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbaker66

Reaction score
I have been a small grower off and on for twenty years or so and I am real wrinkly and I am slobbering apple sauce all over my shirt. But don't let that put you off from reading the rest of this note.
To start I have been reading on various forums over the years about if you grow in soil you should not water your plants until you pick them up and make sure the pot is light and dry. I think this is the general consensus of most soil growers and I don't remember anybody ever saying otherwise. I have heard The reason being that the roots needed to seek out the water.
I have to admit that for a while I stopped doing what I was doing and followed this advice for too long and found my crops were getting way smaller. At that time I was not sure what was going on and I still had weed to smoke which doesn't always allow for clear thinking in my case :)
So finally I went back to what I was doing earlier and things turned around.
What I did was I went back to watering plants everyday. Yes I did it :)
the process goes like this. I fill 4 7gallon cloth type pots with foxfarms ocean forrest soil. You can use any good soil as long as it drains well.. this is very important. I would use your nutes but maybe at half strength until you get into the vegging.
I use a 2 gallon watering can and try to give each plant a fair share of water everyday.
for nutes I use bloom cities root and growth enhancer. one tablespoon
fox farms tiger bloom one tablespoon , don't add until you go into bloom
fox farms big bloom, 2-3 tablespoons
cal mag 1 tablespoon
bloom city humic acid be sure to use this 1-2 tablespoons
botanicare Vitamino, 1 tablespoons, this will add b vitamins that make fast growing plants much more healthy. don't use after first four weeks of bloom ,
all of the above except the vitamino can be used right up to harvest day.
I play around with other nutes but the above combo is a winner,
I am currently using 4 led 240 watt lights in a 3 foot by 7 foot area my growing skills and knowledge allow me to vary from 8 to 32 ounces.

bloom city makes good humic acid , I now believe this to be the most important ingredient that I add. if I remember right there is already some humic acid in the root enhancer but I like to add more.
the reason humic acid is real good is because it is not fertilizer. It can not burn your plants even in heavy doses. What it does is help the plants roots absorb the nutes you add. It is alive with fungus, ,bacteria, etc, and makes your soil come alive. And when you buy it try to get it from a source that sells a lot of it (like amazon ) because over time this stuff doesn't work as well because the bugs die off sitting on a shelf somewhere.
If you want to experiment a little with humic acid do this.
If you are using humic acid everyday you will see the leaves growing like crazy and then one day don't add the humic acid. The next day the leaves will still be growing but at a reduced level, the new areas of yellow growth will be smaller.
And for you growers who already have nice crops growing try using the humic acid it could make things a whole lot better and you can use it up until harvest.
after you have grown for a while my way ,check out how heavy your pots are, they are probably 10 to 15 pounds dry and after daily watering they could be totally water logged at 50 pounds or so. but by using the cloth pots the plants get plenty of oxygen and thrive.
And finally don't try to dump tons of stuff on a new plant. let it get up a foot or so before you become maniac with water can. well I can go back to my playing games now and wait for the outrage and horror notes to chase me down. thanks for reading.

I

I have been a small grower off and on for twenty years or so and I am real wrinkly and I am slobbering apple sauce all over my shirt. But don't let that put you off from reading the rest of this note.
To start I have been reading on various forums over the years about if you grow in soil you should not water your plants until you pick them up and make sure the pot is light and dry. I think this is the general consensus of most soil growers and I don't remember anybody ever saying otherwise. I have heard The reason being that the roots needed to seek out the water.
I have to admit that for a while I stopped doing what I was doing and followed this advice for too long and found my crops were getting way smaller. At that time I was not sure what was going on and I still had weed to smoke which doesn't always allow for clear thinking in my case :)
the process goes like this. I fill 4 7gallon cloth type pots with foxfarms ocean forrest soil. You can use any good soil as long as it drains well.. this is very important. I would use your nutes but maybe at half strength until you get into the vegging.
I use a 2 gallon watering can and try to give each plant a fair share of water everyday.
cal mag 1 tablespoon
botanicare Vitamino, 1 tablespoons, this will add b vitamins that make fast growing plants much more healthy. don't use after first four weeks of bloom ,
I am currently using 4 led 240 watt lights in a 3 foot by 7 foot area my growing skills and knowledge allow me to vary from 8 to 32 ounces.

bloom city makes good humic acid , I now believe this to be the most important ingredient that I add. if I remember right there is already some humic acid in the root enhancer but I like to add more.
the reason humic acid is real good is because it is not fertilizer. It can not burn your plants even in heavy doses. What it does is help the plants roots absorb the nutes you add. It is alive with fungus, ,bacteria, etc, and makes your soil come alive. And when you buy it try to get it from a source that sells a lot of it (like amazon ) because over time this stuff doesn't work as well because the bugs die off sitting on a shelf somewhere.
If you are using humic acid everyday you will see the leaves growing like crazy and then one day don't add the humic acid. The next day the leaves will still be growing but at a reduced level, the new areas of yellow growth will be smaller.
And for you growers who already have nice crops growing try using the humic acid it could make things a whole lot better and you can use it up until harvest.
after you have grown for a while my way ,check out how heavy your pots are, they are probably 10 to 15 pounds dry and after daily watering they could be totally water logged at 50 pounds or so. but by using the cloth pots the plants get plenty of oxygen and thrive.
And finally don't try to dump tons of stuff on a new plant. let it get up a foot or so before you become maniac with water can. well I can go back to my playing games now and wait for the outrage and horror notes to chase me down. thanks for reading.

I
Hey rbaker and welcome to the passion. I hope you’re not holding your breath waiting for outrage and horror notes. We are usuallly pretty calm around here and welcome all growers ideas

some of my plants need water everyday although I am one of those that has had good luck with the lift the pot thing…

im assuming you have a current garden. Maybe you could tell us a little about what strains you are growing and throw in a few pictures.

My experiment is in auto watering which means I water constantly. Sure I put water in everyday but the water supply never stops. I am more than thrilled with the results so far. There are drawbacks to my current method and I am working to address those now. It’s been so easy I will never do anything other than auto water.

That said I will be moving to 3 gallon pots and switch to autos next run

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
My experiment is in auto watering which means I water constantly. Sure I put water in everyday but the water supply never stops. I am more than thrilled with the results so far. There are drawbacks to my current method and I am working to address those now. It’s been so easy I will never do anything other than auto water.

That said I will be moving to 3 gallon pots and switch to autos next run
Isn’t it better to let soil dry out completely than to water your plants every day? My beliefs were that watering every day could easily lead to mold/root rot/overwatering problems. Am I wrong about this? I have 3 autos growing rn and on average im watering them about 3 cups each every 4-5 days, once the soil is completely dried out. They are on day 35 week 5 rn. Should I be watering more often?

Isn’t it better to let soil dry out completely than to water your plants every day? My beliefs were that watering every day could easily lead to mold/root rot/overwatering problems. Am I wrong about this? I have 3 autos growing rn and on average im watering them about 3 cups each every 4-5 days, once the soil is completely dried out. They are on day 35 week 5 rn. Should I be watering more often?
With the containers you use you best stay with what is standard. My setup is about as far from the norm as you can get. Try to run 70% moisture or water daily without my container and you will kill your plants

The plants will tell you they are thirsty
My Big 10-15 gal bags are every 3 days
smaller 3 gal every day in hot sun. Everyday.
As the plants get Big they will start drinking everyday.

Last edited:
cal mag 1 tablespoon

I
Dang The Baker posted all of that and left
Maybe the butcher and candlestick maker took the baker.

The plants will tell you they are thirsty
My Big 10-15 gal bags are every 3 days
smaller 3 gal every day in hot sun. Everyday.
As the plants get Big they will start drinking everyday.
That’s what I thought would happen but I have 1 auto in the middle of flower rn and she still only drinks like a gallon every 4 days. And this one being my first attempt to grow, she’s just sitting in a regular 5 gallon ceramic pot with a hole in the bottom for drainage. My other 3 are in air pots and they already seem to be drinking more than this one was when it was their age. My guess would be that the root system to my plant in flowering is probably pretty shallow/not very widespread. It’s a nice plant but I think was very stunted early on.

That’s what I thought would happen but I have 1 auto in the middle of flower rn and she still only drinks like a gallon every 4 days. And this one being my first attempt to grow, she’s just sitting in a regular 5 gallon ceramic pot with a hole in the bottom for drainage. My other 3 are in air pots and they already seem to be drinking more than this one was when it was their age. My guess would be that the root system to my plant in flowering is probably pretty shallow/not very widespread. It’s a nice plant but I think was very stunted early on.
Funny Im growing a few autos too in 1 gal pots and they drink every 3-4 days also. Must be the autos, Mine never got very big
but they are doing nicely and smell delicious

Latest posts

Back