Growing Joesphs last strain. (Aka True Maui Wowie Breeder)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BF136D0A-6C5C-4099-8EC3-B0E9860E1689.jpeg
Aloha MP
I was on this site some time ago I quit growing for awhile and got the itch to start again. I have known Joesph for over 20 yrs he died a few years ago bedore he passed hebgave me his last cross he was workin on.. Thisnis not the Maui Wowie everybody thinks of when thinking Maui Waui.. After 3 months after he passed I got the itch to do a backyard grow..I was looking for a keeper to mom and to make some beans.. None of the beans would be sold and the cut I kept wasn’t gonna get passed around.. I have no clue what strains he used.. I just wanted to grow something nobody had.. So I grew these beans that I had from Bradda Joesph the well known breeder of Maui Wowie.. These were not the original MW but a strain he was working on when he died.. Dis ones for Braddah Joesph... Thanks for always helping me and teaching me.. I have no clue what he crossed but no herms plants from seed finished the same time grew the same height and all tasted pretty much the same .. The buds was a vary dark green withe trichs every where it had a Skunk mango flavor and the high was very strong very creative and very long lasting .. Anyways if you know the true story of Maui Wowie This is the real deal Breeder.. He made his name. By throwing summer solstice parties form the late 60s -80s.. Joesph had growers coming from all the Islands and Nor Cali .. Everyone traded their best .. Anyways this grown was done a lil over a year ago. just thought I’d share and keep Joesphs Love for the plant and growing alive .. If you are old enough to read High Times and not google .. This ones for you.. Aloha my Braddah will Miss You Joesph and the lower Nahiku gang....

Aloha Squiddy
BF136D0A-6C5C-4099-8EC3-B0E9860E1689.jpeg

Last edited:
What a wonderful tribute to your friend. Your plants look just beautiful and we are so glad you are back. So how tall are those beauties? Did you top? Is MW sativa, nice grow.

Hi Rose
thanks for the kind welcome back..They were topped and tied .. They didn’t get much taller then 4-5 feet.. they where about 6ft wide.. I starters these plants inside 24/7, for a month then down to 18/6 for 3 weeks … then 14/9 for anothr 2-3 weeks and a couple days before putting them out with Dec/Jan moon cycle... Out on a dark moon.. I was hoping to catch the true Hawaii short season … I think I did come pretty close... that's how the winter solctice short seaons plants look little lest weight if started all out door from seed..,,, it not a 90 days season its more like 120 to 150 veg started training them super crop fim and tie down put them out on the Winter solstice and . Harvested mid May.. That my favorite short season here. Since the light is gowing up the plants stretch a few inches and fill in the next day or two. wich make for some really nice plants .. On top that that when you harvest in May and leave a few branches on it it will regrow into our long season during May/June getting about 10 ft + and you can harvest again in Oct.. sorry for the ramble .. But from the angle the pic was token from it looks like a lot more ... it was 14 plants.. Harvested about 7 lbs give or take..

Maui Wowie made by Joesph was 60Sat/ 40 Indica.. Joeseph is a lot olde then me When Joesph realized he was sick we started hanging around a lot I would give him rides to the dr ..One day on the ride to the DR he lit a joint and it had the most mango hashtag smell flavor, it was a lung grenade. I coughed so hard I teared up.... I actually was scared to take another hit.. Long story short . He said I been working on this strain for 2 years now after 3 hits I was feeling baked like on mushrooms baked. So I asked him are these old MW seeds. He said no the MW had been gone for years. He explained how how he had a bad run 4 seasons in a row due to rain... Where the Maui Waui Wowiee was created is in one of the wettest parts of the earth.. He was also known for throwing huge Summer Soltice parties.. Growers from around the the world would show up verey year even High Times for pictures of Maui Wowiee .Those partie lasted from the 70's till I say mid 80s. Lot of growers would trade strains... But he blames a strain he got from his last party as to messing up the Maui Wowiee hec rossed it to the MW and it pulled to the Cali Afghani.. No matter what he did he couldn't get it back... Now the seeds he gave to me was inbetween 2006 and 2010 These seeds were a strain he been working on.. His wife , Ill Just call her S bought back some Thai seeds she got while up in Cali trimming he crossed a Cambodian Male to a local neighbors strain. the seeds are not Maui Wowiee they were a new cross Joesph was working on and were given to me by Joesph From Lower Nahiku.. He said this my newest strain he was woking on and gave me about 20 beans and said plant them up your place which is a higher elevation and way less rainy.. Then where he lives it’s always raining and a low elevation..he said take thes to your place and see how they do In that Higher Microclimate you got. He just got sicker and sicker very hard to watch a good friend go that way cancer. And he believed in holistic medicine.. he was the first Hippie to move into a pure Hawaiian neighborhood... Hes not only a legend but a trail blazer.. so all you guy picking up your grows moving here thinking I will make the next Maui Wowiee , first good luck you are a dime a dozen.. Second you can make all the Maui Cannabis Cups you like.. But you got a long way to go go to fill Joesphs shoes..I never got the seeds planted before he died.. so last year I did them outdoor/GH .. Lol Joesph woulda rolled in his grave If I did them indoor..
Anyway Joesph this ones for you ..
Plenti Aloha
Aloha Squiddy
PS!!! I am not affiliated with Pua Mana Seed Bank!!!!

Sorry for the editing I just wanted to make sure the post was clear and understandable...

Thanks Rose its great to see you ... I got to get to work.. have a great day

Last edited:
squiddy I think you did him proud. Those things look absolutely dank as heck...Those buds look amazing. GREENEST of MOJO

Latest posts

Back