growing mandala #1 is it better to top or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbeans

Reaction score
hi i'm growing 12 mandala #1 plants and was wondering if it would be better to top them or leave them as single cola plants no experience with this strain any help would be great thanks

What Mandala are you growing? I have topped and not topped. You are in for a treat with Mandala.

Whats the size of your grow space? 12 plants takes up alotta space when topped.

rosebud i'm growing mandala #1 strain, growdude not to sure on the square footage but i think around 8x8x8 i'm using 1000 watt hps plants are on average about 6 inches at the moment

I think your way way under lit an 8 x 8 room you got 64 sq ft. you need a minimun of 5000 lumens per sq ft. So you need like 320000 lumens and your 1000 watt hps only puts out around 120000 prob so your way off on that one. Maybe you could section of a smaller area. 12 plants is gonna be alot in your space i wouldnt top prob and flower early for a sog IMO.

Lemon Jack said:
I think your way way under lit an 8 x 8 room you got 64 sq ft. you need a minimun of 5000 lumens per sq ft. So you need like 320000 lumens and your 1000 watt hps only puts out around 120000 prob so your way off on that one. Maybe you could section of a smaller area. 12 plants is gonna be alot in your space i wouldnt top prob and flower early for a sog IMO.
I would NOT top them either, They get so fat when topped (diameter/Girth) and take up soooo much space...
And underlit Lemon Jack ?? Are you telling me in his 8x8 space to be properly lit he should have 3 1K HPS lights hanging ??

Coolbeans Id like to see a pic of your setup if thats possible, and the girls :)

Yes, you're needing much more light! I have 2 1000w and a 400w in my 5'x8' pantry....thinking I could get by without the 400w, but....

Sixx said:
And underlit Lemon Jack ?? Are you telling me in his 8x8 space to be properly lit he should have 3 1K HPS lights hanging ??

The math does not lie....8x8=64 64x5000=320,000 lumens needed to adequately light a 8x8 space during flower. He is under it.

Sixx said:
I would NOT top them either, They get so fat when topped (diameter/Girth) and take up soooo much space...

Coolbeans Id like to see a pic of your setup if thats possible, and the girls :)
Yup I sure am. He could get away with the 2 1000's and a 600 tho. Just got to find a way to arrange them.

I would just section off some of my room.

If you want to run them under just the one light, you will have to push them together and grow them as SOG, and as jack said close them in. JMHO :)

thanks for all the replies i too think i will be under lit so i will have to section off part of the room with white plastic the girls seem to be growing fine for now.just another quick ?? about mandala#1 how much stretch on average should i expect while in flower? i will post some pics so you know what i'm dealing with.thanks for your time.

Coolbeans, thanks for not telling me i was a dork for asking you what kind you were growing and it was in the title of your question. So anyway, I have grown only three varieties of mandala and they were all tall. Here is a pic of two I have topped. Both are Kalichakra, different seeds (phenos) 19 " and 31. The 31 inch went in bigger but stretched the most. I think i will top more next time. Enjoy the grow. They are such pretty plants.
DSCF1134.JPG

DSCF1137.JPG

Latest posts

Back