Growing outside in Virginia or states of equal climate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonp

Reaction score
It is still cold at night where I live and we are having some overcast days. I even used my heat last night. My question is can you start photoperiods outdoors in June? Does anyone grow in the same region like southeast?

good questions

by starting photoperiods outdoors in June , do you mean from seed or a plant that was started indoors and is hardening off to put outdoors?

either way i would say yes

of course a lot of that depends on the strain , sativa or indica or a hybrid?

we are not in your area but are on a similar longitudinal line at 37-38 deegrees , if you are anywhere near Roanoak…..

here is the light info for Roanoak which is similar to ours

also , you can look up the first frost date for your area to see how many weeks you have from June 1

you may need a fast finisher if you are growing from seed…like a c99

all the best

My plants have been outside for a month and I am in New England. I had to bring them in one night when we had a frost warning but they have been out in 35 degree nights. No damage that I can see. My plants had been in veg for quite a while though. They were started last fall and over-wintered in my basement under a T5 light.

good questions

by starting photoperiods outdoors in June , do you mean from seed or a plant that was started indoors and is hardening off to put outdoors?

either way i would say yes

of course a lot of that depends on the strain , sativa or indica or a hybrid?

we are not in your area but are on a similar longitudinal line at 37-38 deegrees , if you are anywhere near Roanoak…..

here is the light info for Roanoak which is similar to ours

also , you can look up the first frost date for your area to see how many weeks you have from June 1

you may need a fast finisher if you are growing from seed…like a c99

all the best
These would be germinated so, I guess that is like planting a seed. A friend of mine grows outside and is going to try some photoperiods. Last year I gave them a big bud regular that grew nice but I started it in indoors in May. This is the third year pot has been legal here and another growing season for people who only grow outdoors. I am about 45 miles South East of Roanoke.

My plants have been outside for a month and I am in New England. I had to bring them in one night when we had a frost warning but they have been out in 35 degree nights. No damage that I can see. My plants had been in veg for quite a while though. They were started last fall and over-wintered in my basement under a T5 light.
We haven't had a frost in awhile. Around what time do they start flowering? I grow inside and can control that stuff.

My plants started to flower in late August last year. Probably depends on latitude though.

1. Are you growing indoors or outdoors?
I mostly grow inside. This is a friend of mine that grows outdoors. They already have some autoflowers started outside, but they wanted to try some photoperiods this year. They don't have the seeds yet though. I gave them some seeds over the winter and they gave them away to somebody else. Everybody trades seeds around here now. They is like a currency.

These would be germinated so, I guess that is like planting a seed. A friend of mine grows outside and is going to try some photoperiods. Last year I gave them a big bud regular that grew nice but I started it in indoors in May. This is the third year pot has been legal here and another growing season for people who only grow outdoors. I am about 45 miles South East of Roanoke.
I am close to you in Va beach area. My plants have been outside now for about three weeks. So far no weird flowering or growth. I have them planted in the ground as well as in pots. I also have two autos outside that will be finished soon. Don’t go by me it’s still early 🤣

I am close to you in Va beach area. My plants have been outside now for about three weeks. So far no weird flowering or growth. I have them planted in the ground as well as in pots. I also have two autos outside that will be finished soon. Don’t go by me it’s still early 🤣
I can put plants out in pots on my deck but they won't get direct sunlight all day. They would miss the late afternoon sun. It would still be light just not direct sunlight. I grew autos last year on the deck and they grew fine, one of them even got too hot and the top buds got a little toasty. `I live in a trailer park and I can't really grow out in the open. People can't see on my deck unless they are on it and nobody really cares as most of my neighbors are smokers too.

My deck is the Only place I have sun most of the day. I have a lot of shade in my yard which is good for the electric bill but not so good for what cannabis likes. Still I’m trying two of those plant in the ground in hopes that the partial sun will be enough. I do have the others up near the deck in pots where the will most likely do better. My backyard is pretty private and like you nobody can see them unless they are back there. My neighbor who can see in my backyard is ok with growing it in fact I gave him a nice plant the other day.

Latest posts

Back