growing pot size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flood n drain? DWC? what kind

generally an unlimited root space is best for any plant, hydro or soil...

How tall are you looking to go? How long will you veg? Rockwool? Hydroton?

The root mass is dependent on several factors of your grow.

1. Nutrients

2. Soil conditions

3. Stress on the plant

4. Genetics of the plant.

*IF* your plants are given the proper amount of nutrients in an ebb and flow and the root mass has something to grow into to support the plants without abnormal root growth, then the root mass will be equal to the volume of about 32 liquid ounces (US) at harvest from a 3-4 foot plant.

In soil, it can vary like crazy. In a top notch, perfect organic grow, the root mass will be about the same as in the example I gave above for an ebb and flow in hydro.

There are too many variables involved to make any general statements to the overall root growth of the two methods of growing.

skull13 said:
Thank you

You're very welcome. I should have also mentioned that when outside, root mass depends greatly on wind and rain amounts. When there is a lot of wind or even just periodic wind gusts that cause cracking in the stem walls, or drought conditions, the plant will grow abnormally large root mass to compensate for those conditions.

If the wind is from mostly one direction, the root mass will expand on the side the wind hits to increase the support for the plant.

If there is a source of water closer to one side than another, like a creek or pond, the root mass will extend itself in that direction.

If the plant senses water at a deeper level, it will grow roots that extend deeper.

All of this increases the total volume of roots when outdoors.

Indoors, if you have a fan hitting the plants with a lot of force, it too can cause a larger root mass. The plant will grow them larger in an attempt to stabilize the plant better and prevent stem damage and tearing of the herringbone roots.

sorry skull. that was my last post last night. I posted then fell asleep.

Thanks from me also stoney for picking up my unfinished business

:fly:

:48:

Latest posts

Back